Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
It's crazy watching teams like Dallas, Carolina, Florida just blast the puck at the point and get goals. It always bothered me having Marner on the point on the PP. He can't or doesn't crank it. He plays this passive style where he will either try to force a pass to his man or release an absolute blueberry muffin. I would love to see him on PP unit 2 next playoffs or just off it entirely. Point shots with traffic is something we don't do very well.

I feel like other teams expect him to look for the cross crease pass to AM or someone else, so they give MM more space on the point. He should be cranking them on goal.
It was Dubas and or Keefe who talked about stats etc and point shots not creating anything substantial. As we see that is false and a big point shot is very valuable as most know it is. Im hoping under Berube the point shot becomes part of our arsenal.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nobody is saying its ALL Marners fault and you are correct in that there is plenty of blame to go around. However we just gave 34 and 88 new contracts and everyone knows we cant just run back 4x 11+ contracts for the umpteenth time so that leaves Marner. If you could keep just 2 of the core four which do you choose? The 2 that are signed for a few years would be my picks. And if Marner goes and the other Gucci boys continue to falter in the big moments they can go too.
Some people still do not get why Marner is the odd man out. The fact that he is the worst playoff performer of the 3, not a goal scorer, is afraid of contact and will be looking for $12.5m makes it a slam dunk.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
you'd think he was a relative of Mitch's the way he defends him at all costs.........

now he wants the discussion closed because he doesn't like the narrative, welcome to Stalin's thread........
Indeed. And now yet another new thread title, can you say desperately seeking attention? :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Some people still do not get why Marner is the odd man out. The fact that he is the worst playoff performer of the 3, not a goal scorer, is afraid of contact and will be looking for $12.5m makes it a slam dunk.

Statistically he’s the best lol, but he’s the worst goal scorer of the 4 that’s for sure. He’s the odd man out because he doesn’t play a style that’s conducive to winning for this team. He’s not any worse of a performer than the others.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Yeah absolutely nobody is arguing that Marner is:
-A bad man
-Offers nothing positive on the ice
-Is sorely responsible for 8 years of losses

Most teams make changes when you have this much losing. Hanging on is actually the more unusual avenue in the business of sports.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Statistically he’s the best lol, but he’s the worst goal scorer of the 4 that’s for sure. He’s the odd man out because he doesn’t play a style that’s conducive to winning for this team. He’s not any worse of a performer than the others.
He is definitely the worst of the 3 in the playoffs and it is not even close. He's on a 16 goal pace in the playoffs. No idea how many primary and secondary assists he has and he is probably the most to blame for our pathetic PP.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It's crazy watching teams like Dallas, Carolina, Florida just blast the puck at the point and get goals. It always bothered me having Marner on the point on the PP. He can't or doesn't crank it. He plays this passive style where he will either try to force a pass to his man or release an absolute blueberry muffin. I would love to see him on PP unit 2 next playoffs or just off it entirely. Point shots with traffic is something we don't do very well.

I feel like other teams expect him to look for the cross crease pass to AM or someone else, so they give MM more space on the point. He should be cranking them on goal.

The problem isn’t that Marner can’t slap shot, he’s got a better clap bomb than Rielly and has scored from the point on the PP. the problem is Matthews wants the puck in a certain position on the PP. that’s why our PP sucks. Everything needs to be fed to Matthews for a shot instead of just letting 4 or 5 options develop naturally. Look at the first 3 years the guys were in the league. Our PP was lethal because they looked for plays, shot from the point and utilized both bumper and cross crease plays with a screen. Now it’s so predictable. It’s all about 34 and getting him an open look nothing else. Nylander will score off the rush on the PP or when there is a loose puck and he makes something happen himself. I probably sound like a Marner homer but the evidence really points to everything being about Matthews and not Marner. And if Matthews doesn’t get the play he wants he’s gonna complain just like we saw on that bench of him complaining to Marner and Nylander and Nylander telling him to stop crying.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
No one is asking you to sympathize with Mitch if you don’t want to. But comparing your life to the one of an athlete then expecting them to take less because your life was harder or you feel like you’ve worked harder is hilarious. It’s not even the same conversation.
I don't think he's saying he expects Marner to "take less", he's just objecting to the "victim narrative" which is very different.

I don't object to any player taking all they can get, I just hope that in Marner's case he's taking it from some other team on his next contract. And if he's taking heat from the fans it's because he deserves it for playing like a wuss when the pressure gets cranked up in the playoffs.
-A bad man

Most teams make changes when you have this much losing. Hanging on is actually the more unusual avenue in the business of sports.
Yup. My only criticism of Marner it that he's nowhere near worth his cap hit in the playoffs and that only seems to be getting worse as the years go by.

The problem isn’t that Marner can’t slap shot, he’s got a better clap bomb than Rielly and has scored from the point on the PP. the problem is Matthews wants the puck in a certain position on the PP. that’s why our PP sucks. Everything needs to be fed to Matthews for a shot instead of just letting 4 or 5 options develop naturally. Look at the first 3 years the guys were in the league. Our PP was lethal because they looked for plays, shot from the point and utilized both bumper and cross crease plays with a screen. Now it’s so predictable. It’s all about 34 and getting him an open look nothing else. Nylander will score off the rush on the PP or when there is a loose puck and he makes something happen himself. I probably sound like a Marner homer but the evidence really points to everything being about Matthews and not Marner. And if Matthews doesn’t get the play he wants he’s gonna complain just like we saw on that bench of him complaining to Marner and Nylander and Nylander telling him to stop crying.
Our PP was excellent for most of the season, then it fell off a cliff.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
-A bad man

Can't believe some want to pay $12.5m to keep the 3 amighosts together for another half decade. But then again some cling to the fact that it took Yzerman 13 years to win a cup. SMH.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
He is definitely the worst of the 3 in the playoffs and it is not even close. He's on a 16 goal pace in the playoffs. No idea how many primary and secondary assists he has and he is probably the most to blame for our pathetic PP.

He has the most points so NO he is not the worst performer statistically. You can’t pick and choose when stats matter. What’s factual is he doesn’t score goals at the same pace as Nylander and Matthews but Marner has never been a natural goal scorer. He’s a setup man who can score occasionally but you absolutely cannot rely on him to be leading your team in goals just like Kucherov and Panarin. Now, why Dubas decided to pay him like he can pot 20 in a playoffs? Idk you have to ask him.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I did not know this ...

1717010030207.png

Reactions: ToneDog

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don't think he's saying he expects Marner to "take less", he's just objecting to the "victim narrative" which is very different.

I don't object to any player taking all they can get, I just hope that in Marner's case he's taking it from some other team on his next contract. And if he's taking heat from the fans it's because he deserves it for playing like a wuss when the pressure gets cranked up in the playoffs.

Yup. My only criticism of Marner it that he's nowhere near worth his cap hit in the playoffs and that only seems to be getting worse as the years go by.

Our PP was excellent for most of the season, then it fell off a cliff.

Gary our PP has fallen off a Cliff to end of the season the last 3 seasons. It’s not a coincidence.

Additionally no one is saying Marner is a victim but if his family couldn’t afford to put him in hockey and they had to scrape and claw what is wrong with saying that? That is a part of his story whether you like it or not. It’s not making Marner a victim by simply stating what they experienced as he grew up.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I did not know this ...

View attachment 877114

I mean at least we see that most of Marner’s assist are Primary assists 5 on 5, with only 3 secondary assists. And he’s only one 5 v 5 goal behind Nylander. So a lot of this narrative about him sucking in the playoffs is pretty exaggerated IMO. All three are right in the same area with Nylander really benefiting and capitalizing and on from PP opportunities

Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Additionally no one is saying Marner is a victim but if his family couldn’t afford to put him in hockey and they had to scrape and claw what is wrong with saying that? That is a part of his story whether you like it or not. It’s not making Marner a victim by simply stating what they experienced as he grew up.

I'm not sure I buy any hardship wrt being able to afford to put your kids in elite level hockey.

That isn't hardship that's choice.

I have no complaints, but no way no how did anyone in my first neighbourhood ever dream about money for sports. Of course this was in a different era than what marner grew up in. So maybe my definition of hardship is in a different reality.

Reactions: francis246

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I mean at least we see that most of Marner’s assist are Primary assists 5 on 5, with only 3 secondary assists. And he’s only one 5 v 5 goal behind Nylander. So a lot of this narrative about him sucking in the playoffs is pretty exaggerated IMO. All three are right in the same area with Nylander really benefiting and capitalizing and on from PP opportunities

And during this period of time Nylander made 6.9 and marner, Tavares and Matthews made more than 50% more.

Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'm not sure I buy any hardship wrt being able to afford to put your kids in elite level hockey.

That isn't hardship that's choice.

I have no complaints, but no way no how did anyone in my first neighbourhood ever dream about money for sports. Of course this was in a different era than what marner grew up in. So maybe my definition of hardship is in a different reality.

I agree with you but sometimes that’s what makes the difference between getting your child there and not. More times than not families sacrifice a lot so that their kids make it. Whether it’s putting yourself in tough financial situations or making hard choices but that’s the beauty of sports. Sometimes families do that and it pays off.

I’m not here to judge, every family is a bit different but agreed, no one plays a sport for the money growing up, it’s for the love of the game and the money becomes more apart of it as you get into it.

I just think people take this shit way too personally and it really has zero impact on their lives or it shouldn’t have an impact.

And during this period of time Nylander made 6.9 and marner, Tavares and Matthews made more than 50% more.

The leafs biggest mistake will always be not bridging Marner and Nylander. I just don’t understand how they went from offering Stamkos 9.5 the summer before to offering Tavares a year later 11.5! Who’s a worse player, it blows my mind. Dubas shit the bed

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I agree with you but sometimes that’s what makes the difference between getting your child there and not. More times than not families sacrifice a lot so that their kids make it. Whether it’s putting yourself in tough financial situations or making hard choices but that’s the beauty of sports. Sometimes families do that and it pays off.

I’m not here to judge, every family is a bit different but agreed, no one plays a sport for the money growing up, it’s for the love of the game and the money becomes more apart of it as you get into it.

I just think people take this shit way too personally and it really has zero impact on their lives or it shouldn’t have an impact.

The leafs biggest mistake will always be not bridging Marner and Nylander. I just don’t understand how they went from offering Stamkos 9.5 the summer before to offering Tavares a year later 11.5! Who’s a worse player, it blows my mind. Dubas shit the bed
It’s bizarre how personal some take it.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gary our PP has fallen off a Cliff to end of the season the last 3 seasons. It’s not a coincidence.

I didn't say it's a coincidence, I'm just saying I don't understand you blaming it on being "predictable". If the PP is bad because it's predictable, why is it so good earlier in the season?

There has been lots of whining about Marner being a victim, about kids on the street commenting to him for greedy etc. and that has nothing to do with "his story".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad