Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The bolded is what so many don't seem to grasp.
Whining daily like a petulant child isn't going to have any impact on what will actually happen. Crazy that needs to be pointed out but here we are.
The very slight pushback I would have against this - we know the Marner camp is extremely dialed into the fanbase, and what narratives are floating around.

There's no doubt in my mind, that Marner knows exactly what's being said about him currently and how the city is trying to push him out the door.

There's absolutely a scenario here, however unlikely I think it may be, that Marner and his camp just look at all of this, and think "it's not worth staying here anymore", especially if the Leafs inform him that they don't want to have extension talks or flat out tell him that there's no extension coming.

At that point, it probably makes logical sense for TeamMitch to have that conversation about whether it makes sense to stay, not only in the face of the immense (and occasionally unfair) criticism, along with the lack of a future in Toronto, or agree to a sign/trade where he gets 8 years, goes somewhere where he's wanted, for a larger cap share than the ~14% he's going to be requesting.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
If they're reading this board looking at and absorbing any of what the 'lesser lights' bring here daily there is no hope for this team anyway.

Since the playoffs have ended we've heard criticisms of his teeth, dog, wife, commitment to training, how he rips off the needy through his charity to funnel money to his family and friends(that's the best one), addition by subtraction and many others.
Hopefully they aren't being guided by any of this high level analysis.
Calling others “lesser lights” is nice. You may be one of the more ignorant posters on here.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
If only there was a GM who would give a small soft winger with a muffin shot the same contract as the best centers in the NHL. But who?
kyle-dubas-jfc.gif

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
He has played 50 more games, he'll pass him around 2032 give or take if Marner doesn't play anymore.

Why would you think that is meaningful in the slightest?
Do better or at least challenge yourself to.
I'm just pointing out a Stat my friend. If I'm being harsh towards Marner I mean you no personal offense. I'm not sure why you feel I'm acting unreasonable for writing that depth players are passing our star players achievements.

I find it alarming that a 4th line winger like Goodrow has more career goals than our superstar stud winger known for point production

I'm just participating and if I'm returning to this thread too often it's because I'm engaged in the discourse. If I'm being too much and am bothering people maybe I should take a break then. Apologies for the inconvenience

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I'm just pointing out a Stat my friend. If I'm being harsh towards Marner I mean you no personal offense. I'm not sure why you feel I'm acting unreasonable for writing that depth players are passing our star players achievements.

I find it alarming that a 4th line winger like Goodrow has more career goals than our superstar stud winger known for point production

I'm just participating and if I'm returning to this thread too often it's because I'm engaged in the discourse. If I'm being too much and am bothering people maybe I should take a break then. Apologies for the inconvenience
Ignore him. And NEVER apologize for your opinion. You're allowed to have one, whether they like it or not.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If we’ve learned anything about this Leaf organization it’s that they talk the talk, but don’t walk the walk. Running it back is just another example of their hypocrisy, Pelley really put his foot in his mouth when he said they’re not here to sell jerseys while it appears that’s their main objective not icing a cup worthy team………

Unless you believe the core can magically transform into hard edged caring players I see little a coaching change will do then to increase the disfunction of the team, wonder how many games it takes before the core quit on the new coach………
Why do teams go through so many coaches if they really don’t make a difference. Let alone the pay discrepancy between coaches. Why not have the same coach for 30 plus years? Why have a Jack Adams award when a coach can’t change anything. I’m not saying players can be changed from their basic game but maybe a new coach could players in a position to play better.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

Just keep on keeping on, don’t let him or anyone else bully you out of the conversation……

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Why do teams go through so many coaches if they really don’t make a difference. Let alone the pay discrepancy between coaches. Why not have the same coach for 30 plus years? Why have a Jack Adams award when a coach can’t change anything. I’m not saying players can be changed from their basic game but maybe a new coach could players in a position to play better.
People don’t change unless there’s a motivating reason, highly paid , worshipped, individuals with God like status and NMC’s aren’t going to buy in to new ideas, if they were willing to do so we’d have seen it by now, in my humble opinion…….

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
People don’t change unless there’s a motivating reason, highly paid , worshipped, individuals with God like status and NMC’s aren’t going to buy in to new ideas, if they were willing to do so we’d have seen it by now, in my humble opinion…….
I watched the game last night, I saw some guy take Tkachuk’s mouth piece, the p***y tkachuk did t even try to get it back. lol! I could just imagine the uproar if Marner got his mouthguard taken away and did nothing about it. People see what they want, hear what they want. I’m sure there are 31 other teams that would appreciate having Marner on their team.

Reactions: ACC1224

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
You know what's "immature" and "emotional" of the members of the Marner Fan Club?. The absolute refusal to see and denial of the obvious evidence of the playoff failures of the Core Fore, especially Marner.

It's like the Boot Camp Drill Sergeant screaming in your face obvious.

lawl

ITT: Marner: the cause of inflation, global warming, and the singular cause of Leafs playoff failures.

The whole core has been terrible in relation to their talent - Marner has plenty of company. Starting with the supposed best and highest paid player on the team (and soon to be highest paid in the world).. Matthew$.

1716995039121.png

Obviouisly it is all Marner's fault!

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
It's crazy watching teams like Dallas, Carolina, Florida just blast the puck at the point and get goals. It always bothered me having Marner on the point on the PP. He can't or doesn't crank it. He plays this passive style where he will either try to force a pass to his man or release an absolute blueberry muffin. I would love to see him on PP unit 2 next playoffs or just off it entirely. Point shots with traffic is something we don't do very well.

I feel like other teams expect him to look for the cross crease pass to AM or someone else, so they give MM more space on the point. He should be cranking them on goal.

Reactions: myleafs

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Calling others “lesser lights” is nice. You may be one of the more ignorant posters on here.
Definitely one of the most arrogant. Hard to imagine how low someone's self esteem must be if you need to anonymously belittle people in a condescending manner on a daily basis. And this on a hockey discussion board of all places.

The only argument left for running it back with this core seems to be the old "anything's possible" argument. Sigh.

Reactions: myleafs

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
They’re not getting either of those boys.
But marner is super elite and BT is a shifty captain because he can't get them into the playoffs. Staios should be knocking down Tre's door to make that deal.

Where's Kyle when we need him the most?
Probably looking for a new pair of glasses and cardigan that will make him look super smart.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Tavares is off the books next year as well, it's quite conceivable they calculate keeping Marner is doable, with a huge cap hit removed. It isn't as simple a consideration as some argue here, there are many ways for the team to look at it, plus the player isn't helpless here either.

I'm not arguing he stays, just this idea isn't a done deal. It obviously isn't, and as emotions calm, it looks entirely possible. The fact you probably lose the trade another factor. Peoples personal preferences are irrelevant here.
Would MM wants to stay?
He betted on himself to perform in the last playoffs in order to get his 100mil extension on July 1. Don’t think he came close to that.
Is he willing to bet on himself to have a great playoffs bc unlike Willie, even if MM comes out flying in the first few months, Tre won’t offer the 100mil extension till after the playoffs. Plus, do you think MM and his camp has the confidence that MM will do well in playoffs?
Then there is the Shanny factor.
If he bet on the core 5 again, if it doesn’t work, he is out. But if he change up the core, if the Leafs fail again, Shanny can buy time by selling, it is a reset and it takes another 2-3yrs.

The reality is that Vegas was the only team who won the Cup with a 10mil plus player.
Is it a sound strategy to have THREE 11mil players on the team?

The bolded is what so many don't seem to grasp.
Whining daily like a petulant child isn't going to have any impact on what will actually happen. Crazy that needs to be pointed out but here we are.
Thought this was a discussion forum? Can people have different opinions?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Would MM wants to stay?
He betted on himself to perform in the last playoffs in order to get his 100mil extension on July 1. Don’t think he came close to that.
Is he willing to bet on himself to have a great playoffs bc unlike Willie, even if MM comes out flying in the first few months, Tre won’t offer the 100mil extension till after the playoffs. Plus, do you think MM and his camp has the confidence that MM will do well in playoffs?
Then there is the Shanny factor.
If he bet on the core 5 again, if it doesn’t work, he is out. But if he change up the core, if the Leafs fail again, Shanny can buy time by selling, it is a reset and it takes another 2-3yrs.

The reality is that Vegas was the only team who won the Cup with a 10mil plus player.
Is it a sound strategy to have THREE 11mil players on the team?

Thought this was a discussion forum? Can people have different opinions?
Of course they can. Realistic, mature opinions would always be welcomed.

Reactions: Gabriel426
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad