Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I hope they don’t but it’s the Leafs.
Great for his 99 points, I’d rather have someone who scores 75 in the regular season and 20 in the playoffs. Plus plays a heavier game. Trochek and Reinhart might not be the regular season darlings to some, but I’d rather them come playoffs.
Roger that…….

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Well pretty sure he knew if he had a good playoffs, he would be signing his new 100mil contract on July 1, 2024.
He choked big time under the circumstances. Now his camp and him are probably thinking, can we trust MM to perform in the next playoffs or go to a team which won’t make the playoffs and his next contract will be judge by the next season without playoffs.
His playoffs were so bad that only a small few have already forgotten. Not sure they’ll be able to rewrite his history like they will the others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gabriel426

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I would not pick any of them. An old dinosaur with braindamages who read people like a def and blind , and treating his team lika a bunch of pinatas. Or a kindergarden teacher afraid of the kids parents. Berube got a easy job after those 2.
The last thing I would call the Leafs head coaching job is easy. Dealing with this core could make a grown man cry.

Reactions: ZEBROA

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Yup he only needs 26 more points to tie him in playoff scoring.
He has played 50 more games, he'll pass him around 2032 give or take if Marner doesn't play anymore.

Barclay Goodrow has now passed Mitch in playoff goals
Why would you think that is meaningful in the slightest?
Do better or at least challenge yourself to.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The only way to acknowledge *WHAT IS OBVIOUSLY TRUE* .. that stage 1 of the Dubas rebuild failed .... is to trade Marner.

He has to go.

He also wants to go.

His pouty post game behaviour makes that obvious.

I dont want to watch his MENTAL breakdowns next year if remains on the team.

He's going to be eaten alive. It's NOT going to be pretty. If his stupid agent pretends otherwise, he truly is an asshole. If Team Marner blows more smoke up Mitch's a** ... that is also sad.

By not being traded by the start of the season, Mitch WILL DEGRADE his OWN value. Why would he do that ? He knows the time has come. But I dont think he gets how bad things will be if he doesnt move on.

I will repeat. Tre picked Nylander. Over Marner. EVERY idiot with a brain knows you can't have 2 right wingers with > 10 AAV contracts and build a winning balanced roster.

Marner has been asked to waive his NTC. Because the team wants to move in another direction.

That direction is spending Marner AAV on defence and/or Goalie.

Marner has played his last game as a Leaf.

He could do wonders for many teams. He can also have playoff success elsewhere. He WILL NEVER have playoff success here. That's not a theoretical statement. That's been proven. TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

People who think Marner is going to hang around next year are just wishing for a LOSE - LOSE shitshow. Anyone who thinks Marner could handle playing out his final year here is underappreciating how he's mentally impacted by stress etc.

Don't torture yourself Mitch. Don't listen to your STUPID agent. "Hold out Mitch" .... you'll lose. And you will forever be impacted by a shit show final contract year where you underperform in the regular season even. Your value is at a high now Mitch. MOVE THE F on.

If Marner plays hardball then I have him take his 10.8 AAV drive his own line (the third one) and he also drives a PP2 line. That's what I let Marner know before July 1. He's "taking a leadership role on the team" by balancing out the whole team. I tell him it's time to show his true value by "driving his own corsi". I also tell him we are running 4 equal lines next year and PP1 and PP2 will split time equally. Hopefully he understands he will fail in this structure because he doesn't drive anything. He will accept a trade understanding he will be UNABLE to succeed in the new balanced team structure.

Last edited:

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
50/50 he’s back next year, anyone making definitive statements isn’t computing the complexities here. It isn’t an easy proposition for obvious reasons, but for sure it could happen.

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
The only way to acknowledge *WHAT IS OBVIOUSLY TRUE* .. that stage 1 of the Dubas rebuild failed .... is to trade Marner.

He has to go.

He also wants to go.

He's going to be eaten alive. It's NOT going to be pretty. If his stupid agent pretends otherwise, he truly is an asshole. If Team Marner blows more smoke up Mitch's a** ... that is also sad.

By not being traded by the start of the season, Mitch WILL DEGRADE his OWN value. Why would he do that ? He knows the time has come. But I dont think he gets how bad things will be if he doesnt move on.

I will repeat. Tre picked Nylander. Over Marner. EVERY idiot with a brain knows you can't have 2 right wingers with > 10 AAV contracts and build a winning balanced roster.

Marner has been asked to waive his NTC. Because the team wants to move in another direction.

He could do wonders for many teams. He can also have playoff success elsewhere. He WILL NEVER have playoff success here. That's not a theoretical statement. That's been proven. TIME AND TIME AGAIN.

People who think Marner is going to hang around next year are just wishing for a LOSE - LOSE shitshow. Anyone who thinks Marner could handle playing out his final year here is underappreciating how he's mentally impacted by stress etc.

Don't torture yourself Mitch. Don't listen to your STUPID agent. "Hold out Mitch" .... you'll lose. And you will forever be impacted by a shit show final contract year where you underperform in the regular season even. Your value is at a high now Mitch. MOVE THE F on.

If Marner plays hardball then I have him take his 10.8 AAV drive his own line (the third one) and he also drives a PP2 line. That's what I let Marner know before July 1. He's "taking a leadership role on the team" by balancing out the whole team. I tell him it's time to show his true value by "driving his own corsi". I also tell him we are running 4 equal lines next year and PP1 and PP2 will split time equally. Hopefully he understands he will fail in this structure because he doesn't drive anything. He will accept a trade understanding he will be UNABLE to succeed in the new balanced team structure.

Good post.

I wouldn't mind him so much if he didn't come off so ambivalent when the team is eliminated. A few goals from him come playoff time, and we might have a different result, but all we get are excuses.

If Marner wants a raise, I hope he looks elsewhere.

Reactions: Petrus

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

He has to go.

He also wants to go.

Solid gold!

No more shambles around here.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
50/50 he’s back next year,
If he's back this is true:
(1) no team really wants him.
(2) his loser agent told him to hold out and Team Marner is a low IQ group.
(3) he's going to be eviscerated by fans and media. He already felt it last year and buckled. He will also harm his long term value tremendously. Playing under pressure aint Mitchy's game.

The Leafs are ready to cut losses. In a big way. You can't end the Dubas era without moving on from Marner. The team isn't the barrier, if he's here then he's the problem.

Marner coming back is LOSE LOSE. Team loses. Marner loses.

That's alot of loserness if he's back.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yup he only needs 26 more points to tie him in playoff scoring.
Now do cups and cap hits.

1716987899032.png

1716987974242.png

HamiltonNHL

Jan 4, 2012
100% gone
+Like.

It's a win / win situation really. He gets a fresh start in a show me year on a team that'll have him thrive. I hope he plays super great elsewhere. I think he could play even better elsewhere. The Leafs already have a right winger signed (88). Mitch will no longer have a place to thrive on this team.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If we’ve learned anything about this Leaf organization it’s that they talk the talk, but don’t walk the walk. Running it back is just another example of their hypocrisy, Pelley really put his foot in his mouth when he said they’re not here to sell jerseys while it appears that’s their main objective not icing a cup worthy team………

Unless you believe the core can magically transform into hard edged caring players I see little a coaching change will do then to increase the disfunction of the team, wonder how many games it takes before the core quit on the new coach………
There is only one thing I know about Leafs management:
1716988202536.gif

Until I see otherwise, for me it’s 95 - 5 Marner stays.

Reactions: socko

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
+Like.

It's a win / win situation really. He gets a fresh start in a show me year on a team that'll have him thrive. I hope he plays super great elsewhere. I think he could play even better elsewhere. The Leafs already have a right winger signed (88). Mitch will no longer have a place to thrive on this team.

He can help some other team make the PO. It is for the best as you said. Nylander can drive a line if need be. He can even do a short stint at C if need be. People say say he cant do it but he clearly can if he is engaged in the game.

Marner out will free up the most important asset. Cap. We need it. He wants it. See ya Mitch

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
+Like.

Only a fool would stay if they were told they were not being extended. Marner will waive to go to any team that will pay him close to his ask ($12.5m). My fear is there are none that will pay him and give up market value.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Only a fool would stay if they were told they were not being extended. Marner will waive to go to any team that will pay him close to his ask ($12.5m). My fear is there are none.

There wont be. I think his best case is we sign and trade with a small retention. 11.5m less 1m ate by the Leafs

He thinks he is worth Mackinnon money. I mean. Laughing yet?

• Haha
Reactions: socko and ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
50/50 he’s back next year, anyone making definitive statements isn’t computing the complexities here. It isn’t an easy proposition for obvious reasons, but for sure it could happen.
Unless one party is being unreasonable it’s really not that difficult, assuming the Leafs decide it’s in their best interest to trade him. IMO, the only bad outcome is him staying with the Leafs beyond this contract, and I’m sure the Leafs have different opinion.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Unless one party is being unreasonable it’s really not that difficult, assuming the Leafs decide it’s in their best interest to trade him. IMO, the only bad outcome is him staying with the Leafs beyond this contract, and I’m sure the Leafs have different opinion.
That assumption is part of the equation.

Reactions: Nineteen67

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think you're right that it's 50/50 he's back next year, but I think the complexities are actually very simple.

It's whether Leafs management have any balls whatsoever.

"There just wasn't a trade option that made us a better team" - no balls
"We like what Marner brings, he's a huge part of this group and both he and the team think he can lead us to a cup" - no balls
"Waiving the NTC was never something Mitch considered, he loves playing for this team and this city" - NO BALLS

They will cover whatever they do in weasel words and spin to sell Marner staying as the best course of action. But the simple reality is that if they don't move him it's because everyone involved is afraid of change. Afraid that Marner playing well somewhere else will make them look stupid. Afraid that trading Marner will be a step back before it's two steps forward and that step back will cost them their jobs. Afraid that Marner will never rehabilitate his image in front of Leafs fans. Sorry Shanny, caving in to your fear means you don't have any guts and that's exactly what we're going after Marner for.

If they do trade him, it's because they've got the guts to take a risk. Sometimes you need to retreat and regroup before you counter-attack. Sometimes you have to do the right thing when you're afraid and in doubt. That's what courage is. This team so obviously needs the change, this team so obviously revolves around Marner, rather than him just being one of our key players, this team so obviously cannot continue as we have. So please, Treliving, Shanahan, Pelley, whoever the heck is at the top of the decision making pile for this, give your balls a tug and pick up the phone.

"Mitch, please provide a list of teams you'll accept a trade to"
"John, you're not the captain next year. We're giving it to Auston."

Mitch can flex his NTC and exercise his collectively bargained for rights to remain a Leaf if he wishes. In that case, have the guts to tell the public that he refused, strip the A from him, and publicly declare that the team will not be negotiating a new contract with him. Mitch does not run this team, Mitch is leaving whether it's sooner or later, Mitch can succeed or fail elsewhere on his own merits and we do not give a shit.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
The last thing I would call the Leafs head coaching job is easy. Dealing with this core could make a grown man cry.
No it is a realy hard job. But if Berube get the same tools he should outdo the other 2 with just being himself. Thats what i am hoping at least.
And hoping for a better D/goalie and a few depth players that love playoffs.
My guess is that blocking shots will go up overall, etc.

Reactions: socko
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad