Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Tavares is off the books next year as well, it's quite conceivable they calculate keeping Marner is doable, with a huge cap hit removed. It isn't as simple a consideration as some argue here, there are many ways for the team to look at it, plus the player isn't helpless here either.

I'm not arguing he stays, just this idea isn't a done deal. It obviously isn't, and as emotions calm, it looks entirely possible. The fact you probably lose the trade another factor. Peoples personal preferences are irrelevant here.

Reactions: Petrus and ACC1224

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Tavares is off the books next year as well, it's quite conceivable they calculate keeping Marner is doable, with a huge cap hit removed. It isn't as simple a consideration as some argue here, there are many ways for the team to look at it, plus the player isn't helpless here either.

I'm not arguing he stays, just this idea isn't a done deal. It obviously isn't, and as emotions calm, it looks entirely possible. The fact you probably lose the trade another factor. Peoples personal preferences are irrelevant here.
It’s not can they affird him, it’s can they afford not to trade him and balance the cap throughout the lineup, ditto for JT’s cap hit…….

Reactions: myleafs

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

The bolded is what so many don't seem to grasp.
Whining daily like a petulant child isn't going to have any impact on what will actually happen. Crazy that needs to be pointed out but here we are.

Reactions: DarkKnight

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

Sure, financially there is away. But it's already been proven it doesn't work with the core 4 or 5. So why would you even bother? Afraid to lose a trade? Many a team has lost a battle (trade) to win the war.

People focusing on this as a money issue is way off base imo. This is a team ability to win issue... they have already proven they can fit all this under the cap. And it has failed for 8 seasons come playoff time. Money aside, it's long time to try something else.

Reactions: myleafs and ToneDog

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
100% gone
Hope you’re not disappointed.
Pelley looks like another suit politician instantly spouting new catch phrases of chemistry and unity for season 10 of this show.
Everything we’ve seen before.
It would be 100 % Leaf like to not only run it back but pay him 12+ million on top of that.
I’ve seen this show multiple times. Each time trying to fool you it will be different. They are the masters of doing thing differently the exact same way.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
There is only one thing I know about Leafs management:
View attachment 876975
Until I see otherwise, for me it’s 95 - 5 Marner stays.
dd9dc5f3-f273-45a1-bd4d-9e5d01ebef31_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: ToneDog and Trapper

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Sure, financially there is away. But it's already been proven it doesn't work with the core 4 or 5. So why would you even bother? Afraid to lose a trade? Many a team has lost a battle (trade) to win the war.

People focusing on this as a money issue is way off base imo. This is a team ability to win issue... they have already proven they can fit all this under the cap. And it has failed for 8 seasons come playoff time. Money aside, it's long time to try something else.
If you think longer term though, the core four is over next year anyways. JT is a modest hit or gone. Reilly isn't a given either for that matter. Plus the cap will go up a decent amount in 2025, so the Leafs have room for the "big 3" If you decide to go that way. Despite the sentiment here, Marner is still a valuable commodity and if Berube for example argues he can get more out of a playoff Marner, he might stay. I said 50/50, maybe it's more he leaves, but this daily slam dunk bitchfest only exists here, it has nothing to do with what is being weighed as we speak and to think.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Right or wrong i think Marner should try his luck somewere else. I dont think he will . But it would be best for all. We would probably loose in a trade. But it could still be the best move in the long run. To much drama around him. Next season it might be Nylanders turn to be scapegoat for a while, Until Marner signs.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It’s not can they affird him, it’s can they afford not to trade him and balance the cap throughout the lineup, ditto for JT’s cap hit…….
Losing JT's 11 mil sure leaves plenty of room to bolster other areas. You've got cheap kids coming by 2025 too, Cowan, Minten, it's very doable.

Most of the analysts I've heard say there is interest in Marner, obviously. Also noted, the Leafs will probably lose that trade, so it creates a tough proposition for Tre. Marner isn't a done deal either, he could very well have a decent playoff run, look at how Kessel evolved his game for example.

I agree you should stop doing that.
He has a point, the mob mentality and immature commentary is easily noted here. I find it mostly boorish garbage, but hey when you have twenty others piling on you think somehow you're onto something. You aren't.
It's become sport now, I don't see much to be proud of...

Whateves though.

Reactions: ACC1224

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
To be fair too, LOTS of reasonable critics and comments here, it's just wading through nonsensical child rants.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Losing JT's 11 mil sure leaves plenty of room to bolster other areas. You've got cheap kids coming by 2025 too, Cowan, Minten, it's very doable.

Most of the analysts I've heard say there is interest in Marner, obviously. Also noted, the Leafs will probably lose that trade, so it creates a tough proposition for Tre. Marner isn't a done deal either, he could very well have a decent playoff run, look at how Kessel evolved his game for example.
I could care less about losing the trade, Calgary knew they were losing the trade when they moved Brett Hall, but yhey did it because they knew it gave them a better chance to win the cup. I want to win a cup not a trade……

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Funny how differing opinions are considered whining like a petulant child when it’s actually a petulant child whining about differing opinions, you can’t make this shit up if you tried…….
I mean, I understand where he's coming from that we seem like where whining because of the differing opinions, but it's the taking it personally or lecturing about how none of this matters that I don't understand.

I'm just in here shitposting and having a good time while I pretend to work during a slow week. This is all a laugh and the Leafs will never love me back, so I can't say that I'm really expecting my whinging to do anything more than get me a few likes on a silly forum.

I used to take arguments on the internet personally, I've been there, but that is legitimately the road to hell and I'd advise anyone to avoid it. This isn't even arguing politics, this is where a millionaire is going to live and play a game we like, this is the lowest stakes imaginable.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Whining daily like a petulant child isn't going to have any impact on what will actually happen. Crazy that needs to be pointed out but here we are.
Agreed.

But I think our fanbase does have at least occasional impact on management's consideration sets. Not in the more granular operations but in larger moves like Murphy, Kessel, Kadri...Marner?

Or perhaps its more accurate to say our media parrots the lesser lights of our fanbase and from there undue pressure may guide management from time to time.

A better litmus test would be to put pressure on management giving Wes Clark more picks to play with. That's a more palatable tribalism.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

There’s really no way to lose a trade for the fans. Anyone that bought their daughter a 16 jersey can easily change the name.

Reactions: ToneDog

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Agreed.

But I think our fanbase does have at least occasional impact on management's consideration sets. Not in the more granular operations but in larger moves like Murphy, Kessel, Kadri...Marner?

Or perhaps its more accurate to say our media parrots the lesser lights of our fanbase and from there undue pressure may guide management from time to time.

A better litmus test would be to put pressure on management giving Wes Clark more picks to play with. That's a more palatable tribalism.
We are all the lesser lights of the fanbase. There is no opinion here that is superior or enlightened, there is no "correct". Woe to the high and mighty, we're all spending our time and energy arguing about sports when we could be learning languages, studying poetry, achieving advanced degrees, spending time with our friends, colleagues, or the outdoors.

We're all playing in the mud together, stay off the high horse.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Agreed.

If they're reading this board looking at and absorbing any of what the 'lesser lights' bring here daily there is no hope for this team anyway.

Since the playoffs have ended we've heard criticisms of his teeth, dog, wife, commitment to training, how he rips off the needy through his charity to funnel money to his family and friends(that's the best one), addition by subtraction and many others.
Hopefully they aren't being guided by any of this high level analysis.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Of course it's "doable", but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a dumb thing to do.

Re. "personal preferences" - perhaps the thread title is directed at people like you who keep alternating between stating the obvious and yelling at strawmen.
If you've finally grasped the obvious, are you going to stop whining daily like a petulant child?

We are all the lesser lights of the fanbase. There is no opinion here that is superior or enlightened, there is no "correct". Woe to the high and mighty, we're all spending our time and energy arguing about sports when we could be learning languages, studying poetry, achieving advanced degrees, spending time with our friends, colleagues, or the outdoors.

We're all playing in the mud together, stay off the high horse.
Well said!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Of course it's "doable", but that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a dumb thing to do.

Re. "personal preferences" - perhaps the thread title is directed at people like you who keep alternating between stating the obvious and yelling at strawmen.

If you've finally grasped the obvious, are you going to stop whining daily like a petulant child?

Well said!
Can't believe some fans still want to Leafs to make moves to accommodate another Marner overpayment after watching him for the past 5 playoffs under Keefe. You cannot keep this engine because it stalls in April.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

He has a point, the mob mentality and immature commentary is easily noted here. I find it mostly boorish garbage, but hey when you have twenty others piling on you think somehow you're onto something. You aren't.
It's become sport now, I don't see much to be proud of...

Whateves though.
You know what's "immature" and "emotional" of the members of the Marner Fan Club?. The absolute refusal to see and denial of the obvious evidence of the playoff failures of the Core Fore, especially Marner.

It's like the Boot Camp Drill Sergeant screaming in your face obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad