Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
I know this might upset some people but I'm starting to believe we don't move Marner and Berube will want to work with him. Maybe if it doesn't work out we'll trade him during the season after giving him an 8 year extension for another team which isn't ideal but would be better than nothing.
He is 100% not getting traded during the season. He's either traded between now or October or he's not being traded at all.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
They went from Babcock to Keefe to new PP guys to Berube. They went through dozens of players, lost some good ones due to the cap issues (Hyman) and who knows how many possible F.A signings they couldn't fit under the cap.

This guy will never be a playoff stud. Never. Heard it hear first about 4 years ago and I repeat.

He may have some great games this coming season, may even look different. When playoffs begin, he becomes the mark for the opposition and he will crumble. For $11M even...
They were doing well under Babcock from 30th to 14th to 7th as 18, 19 and 20 year olds. There was not much improvement after Babcock left and actually a slight downturn the last 2 years.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Why put that on a new coach though? From the outside looking in he's obviously gonna want to keep the core around. If they want to shake up the core just do it and then let the coach help you fill out the roster with all the extra cap space we got with players he thinks can help Matthews and Nylander out the most and take some of the weight off their shoulders.

Why? The coach is his boss lol

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
quite surprised the usual advanced stats guys still had not post MM advanced stats this playoffs and stated he created chances but his linemates failed him and that’s why he didn’t get points

They were doing well under Babcock from 30th to 14th to 7th as 18, 19 and 20 year olds. There was not much improvement after Babcock left and actually a slight downturn the last 2 years.
Which probably means they just can’t do it collectively.
Time to move on as the plan is Leafs winning the Cup and not make the Core 5 winning the Cup for the Leafs.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Why? The coach is his boss lol
because if it's a core issue then shake it up and not let a new coach decide if they can change them or not and risk losing him for nothing or over paying for him again and putting another coach in a strangle hold by being a top heavy team and penny pinching to fill out the rest of the depth.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I think you can make an argument for Tavares on the 3rd line. I wouldn't want to subject Nylander to another year with Tavares as his center. That is just cruel. But yeah I value team speed more than most and I'm not a big fan.
Cruel might be overdoing it a bit, but I agree that those two don't work particularly well together.

40th in points among centers, 31st in goals scored
8th in faceoff winning %age
And I did read somewhere he was the team leader in board battles won.

Sure we all know he is not worth 11 million but he isn’t washed up. lol!
Far from being worth 11 million, but also far from being washed up. :)

I'm betting he's read a few of Hyman's books or maybe Hyman read them to him on the plane.
LOL. Probably the latter.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He is 100% not getting traded during the season. He's either traded between now or October or he's not being traded at all.
Well, never say never so maybe 98%?

It's not impossible that we're out of the playoff picture and move him as a rental at the TDL. Then again, who knows? Most players would prefer a shot at the cup in the spring but approaching free agency, Marner might prefer not to show his face anywhere during the playoffs.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
He cannot change Marner's DNA. If Marner has not figured out after 9 playoff series that he needs to battle harder, you think he is going to do it with a new coach. Forget about it.
That’s why he has to go no matter how it ends up. They cannot absolutely cannot sign him for 7-8 years for 12 million plus.
That would absolutely destroy their chances for the next decade

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
Marner is not a playoff player. He just wants to make the most amount of money without contact, the problem is in the playoffs it’s a war. Giving marner a ufa contract will torpedo any chance at a cup for the duration of that contract

Reactions: Sundinisagod

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I thought the best in a Leaf uniform he looked for me was that Mikayev-Engvall-Hyman line, forechecked the hell out of you, big, strong on the puck and fast.

He had more to give you offensively than that but in terms of pure puck handling, that was it.

I remember that year.

Hyman was being shuffled up and down the top three lines. Every time a line would get stale Keefe would throw Hyman on it and they would.start playing good. That for me was the definitive proof Hyman could carry a line and Nylander could not.

Hyman literally made every line he played on better.

Last edited:

sunstersun

May 12, 2017

7:15

Everything that I wish Marner would do. Fox does something similar to Marner, but instead of 100/100 times going outside he takes it to the net. Fox threatens to shoot or shoots I'm not sure, but you get the idea.

It looks like a Marner play, but it's much more simple and effective because he's taking it to the net and he's actually a shooter.

Sigh....

edit: He's also a defenceman lmao.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dangles McGavin

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Could’ve avoided this issue had Babcock and this franchise weren’t so scared about playing Willy at centre. Would’ve solved our future 2C problem and allowed Hyman to play on his strong side.
I don't think "scared about playing Willy at centre" was the issue. They had the chance to sign a big free agent at a supposed discount and ignored the fact that he wasn't what was needed. With Matty at 1C and an $11M mistake you had to play at 2C, the only options for Willy were 3C or the wing.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

I'd go to war with this guy every day over Sheldon Keefe. However, boss at work? If I was making millions and just wanted something simple and my pay cheque's, I'd pick Keefe. If it were my job and I wanted to win a cup really bad... Babcock every day of the week.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
He will this season now thats it a contract year.
Well pretty sure he knew if he had a good playoffs, he would be signing his new 100mil contract on July 1, 2024.
He choked big time under the circumstances. Now his camp and him are probably thinking, can we trust MM to perform in the next playoffs or go to a team which won’t make the playoffs and his next contract will be judge by the next season without playoffs.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I'd go to war with this guy every day over Sheldon Keefe. However, boss at work? If I was making millions and just wanted something simple and my pay cheque's, I'd pick Keefe. If it were my job and I wanted to win a cup really bad... Babcock every day of the week.

If you wanted to win a cup you’d pick a guy who hasn’t been past the 2nd round in over a decade? Ok lol

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
I wish I could get 18mil overpay for crying like a baby, complaining about my coach and being jealous about what a teammate got. Not performing in crunch time and throwing my gloves down and being a smug arrogant sounding prick in the media all the while.
what's stopping you

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
TRADE MARNER

Just getting in my daily rep, like this savage.

1331660438_bike_wheelie_bench_pressing.gif

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That’s why he has to go no matter how it ends up. They cannot absolutely cannot sign him for 7-8 years for 12 million plus.
That would absolutely destroy their chances for the next decade.
I hope they don’t but it’s the Leafs.
Great for his 99 points, I’d rather have someone who scores 75 in the regular season and 20 in the playoffs. Plus plays a heavier game. Trochek and Reinhart might not be the regular season darlings to some, but I’d rather them come playoffs.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
what's stopping you

Freshly squeezed for Marner.

Mean hate posts like you just made towards me that just made my mind into shamble pie, you custard cake. I am treated like gods football around here.

I just think I don't have that level of Marner type swag.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
I hope they don’t but it’s the Leafs.
Great for his 99 points, I’d rather have someone who scores 75 in the regular season and 20 in the playoffs. Plus plays a heavier game. Trochek and Reinhart might not be the regular season darlings to some, but I’d rather them come playoffs.
Agree 100%

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
They would be embarrassing themselves because they would be going against everything they said at the presser. If winning is everything you cannot run it back. If they do I will haunt Pelley with "we are not here to sell jeseys" all year long.

I'm betting he's read a few of Hyman's books or maybe Hyman read them to him on the plane.
If we’ve learned anything about this Leaf organization it’s that they talk the talk, but don’t walk the walk. Running it back is just another example of their hypocrisy, Pelley really put his foot in his mouth when he said they’re not here to sell jerseys while it appears that’s their main objective not icing a cup worthy team………

New coach new plan, same players may have a different outcome, or do you think the coach has no bearing on the team’s results?
Unless you believe the core can magically transform into hard edged caring players I see little a coaching change will do then to increase the disfunction of the team, wonder how many games it takes before the core quit on the new coach………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I remember that year.

Hyman was being shuffled up and down the top three lines. Every time a line would get stale Keefe would throw Hyman on it and they would.start playing good. That for me was the definitive proof Hyman could carry a line and Nylander could not.

Hyman literally made every line he played on better.
Agreed……

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

I would not pick any of them. An old dinosaur with braindamages who read people like a def and blind , and treating his team lika a bunch of pinatas. Or a kindergarden teacher afraid of the kids parents. Berube got a easy job after those 2.

Reactions: Antropovsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad