Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Also how delusional do you have to be to convince yourself into thinking Marner doesn’t love Toronto or being a Maple Leaf. It’s quite obvious he loves being here, that can’t even be denied at this point. Whether him being here long term is good for him is another topic that can be debated though.

Side note* Additionally he and JT are the only guys who live here year round. Even despite the scrutiny he doesn’t run off to some warm American City in the off-season.
I believe Marner has lived here all his life so wouldn't it be really weird if he "ran off" somewhere in the off-season?

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Despite what athletes try to PR to the world they love the city and fans, 99% are in it for the money. Putting a poker face in PR statements and Twitter is a top notch thing to do for athletes and celebs.

If they really cared that much for helping a team win for personal satisfaction and fanbase they'd stick around for a reasonable pay.

But as long as some other team is willing to offer an extra million, almost all bolt. Even if it means playing for a crap team.

But in reality it's no different than every day people. Get offered a job that pays $10,000 more and a lot of people will bolt.

Agree with what you said for the most part, but I think it’s possible to love the city you play in and live in and want to make the most money possible. Unfortunately a players mindset is to rinse a team before the team rinses you. As much as people want to blame the players, athletes are not responsible for managing a salary cap. That’s the hockey clubs responsibility.

Good managements teams are able to get their players to buy into the idea of being for the team and why the concept of the stars having reasonable contracts will help keep their club competitive. The organization failed from the start when it came to the ELC negotiations. They tried to screw Marner and a few others out of their rookie bonuses and then expected those same players to just forget about that 3 years later? Delusional on their part IMO.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Also how delusional do you have to be to convince yourself into thinking Marner doesn’t love Toronto or being a Maple Leaf. It’s quite obvious he loves being here, that can’t even be denied at this point. Whether him being here long term is good for him is another topic that can be debated though.

Side note* Additionally he and JT are the only guys who live here year round. Even despite the scrutiny he doesn’t run off to some warm American City in the off-season.

I didn’t say he didn’t love the city…

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I believe Marner has lived here all his life so wouldn't it be really weird if he "ran off" somewhere in the off-season?

There are lots of GTA born players who do not come back to Toronto or stay in the town they are playing in during the off-season. They have a residence in a state they like. Nashville is a pretty popular place for a lot of NHL players, same with Arizona.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There are lots of GTA born players who do not come back to Toronto or stay in the town they are playing in during the off-season. They have a residence in a state they like. Nashville is a pretty popular place for a lot of NHL players, same with Arizona.
Marner's not "coming back to Toronto", he's lived here all his life. And I imagine he likes it here, Toronto's a great place to live so what's not to like?

But why are you bringing this up anyway, I mean who cares where he lives?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Too had this isn’t how real life works, no player, especially a star player is going to accept a 2 million pay cut, no matter how much they love a city.

Their agents wouldn’t allow it, the NHLPA would be up their ass and probably their families.
Malkin took a $3.4M cut.

• Haha
Reactions: francis246

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Marner's not "coming back to Toronto", he's lived here all his life. And I imagine he likes it here, Toronto's a great place to live so what's not to like?

But why are you bringing this up anyway, I mean who cares where he lives?

you interject yourself into many of my conversations and then say why are you bringing this up. If you don’t care, don’t reply. It’s quite simple.

The conversation was about loving the city, there are many players who are born and raised in Toronto and even current and former maple leafs players who are born and raised in Toronto and Toronto is not their primary residence. They rather not live here in the off-season or they want to escape the media. O’Dog talked about it a lot, a lot of the GTA guys lived in Florida, Atlanta, Carolina during the off-season.

Malkin took a $3.4M cut.

Malkin was 35/36 when he signed his current contract not a 28 year old entering his prime in free agency. I don’t think Malkin had a choice but to accept that lol. Nice try though

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
The conversation was about loving the city, there are many players who are born and raised in Toronto and even current and former maple leafs players who are born and raised in Toronto and Toronto is not their primary residence. They rather not live here in the off-season or they want to escape the media. O’Dog talked about it a lot, a lot of the GTA guys lived in Florida, Atlanta, Carolina during the off-season.

marner doesn't move back to Toronto in the off season.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
you interject yourself into many of my conversations and then say why are you bringing this up. If you don’t care, don’t reply. It’s quite simple.

This isn't "your conversation". If you don't have a good answer then you don't and that's fine, what's with this "if you don't care don't reply" nonsense? All I care about is what our players do on the ice, in the off-season they can live on the moon for all I care and I was just curious why this is an issue for you.

Yup, exactly what I said. I hope you don't get a slap on the wrist now for interjecting yourself into "his conversation". :)

francis246

Nov 16, 2007

Like I said in my post that you just quoted, there are GTA born and raised current maple leafs who do not live in Toronto in the off-season. There have also been former Maple Leafs who when they were on the maple leafs, even though they were born in Toronto and lived there their whole life, they still chose to have a place in the states for after the season. What does that have to do with coming back home?

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Gio was only a year or two out from winning the Norris when he came home for minimum salary.

He’s the boss of hometown discounts.

Marner could probably stay a Leaf for life if he took 9x8.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This isn't "your conversation". If you don't have a good answer then you don't and that's fine, what's with this "if you don't care don't reply" nonsense? All I care about is what our players do on the ice, in the off-season they can live on the moon for all I care and I was just curious why this is an issue for you.

Yup, exactly what I said. I hope you don't get a slap on the wrist now for interjecting yourself into "his conversation". :)

It’s not an issue for me at all. Simply pointing out that Marner not really loving the city is a dumb narrative. If he didn’t love the city or being here I’m sure he’d get out of here if he had the chance to in the off-season like other GTA born leafs have and did when they played for the leafs.

Closer to home, Spezza and Giordano both took less to play here than they could have gotten on the open market.

They were at the end of their careers. Spezza had an opportunity to sign here as a UFA in his prime and went to Dallas instead. I wonder why he didn’t take less then to play for his hometown team

Reactions: ruaware41

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Too had this isn’t how real life works, no player, especially a star player is going to accept a 2 million pay cut, no matter how much they love a city.

Their agents wouldn’t allow it, the NHLPA would be up their ass and probably their families.
Didnt McDavid leave money on the table?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007

Yup... the backlash on Mcdavid was incredible. It's been constantly all over the news! I've heard that his family is under witness protection!

The extension was the top priority for the Oilers this offseason, general manager Peter Chiarelli said in May. Initial reports put the value of the contract at $106 million, which would have been an average annual value of $13.25 million.
"This may be one of the largest contracts ever given in the NHL, but I can assure you, it could easily have been a lot higher in value and shorter in term," Chiarelli said. "Building a team to win the Stanley Cup was a constant discussion point in this negotiation

Stamkos apparently didn't get the same memo as you @francis246 but obviously he isn't as connected to the NHLPA as you are. You need to warn him that his life and his families life is in jeopardy!!
Stamkos on considering accepting a lower salary to stay here: "I think that has been a part of everyone's thought process in the core group of guys that we have had here in terms of what guys have taken over the years to stay here. I understand the tax advantage and that type of thing. Kuch is making $9.5. That is probably grossly underpaid in terms of what guys are getting now. Vasy. Pointer with 40 or 50 goals every year. You look at Matthews. What did he sign for? $13.5 or something? Heddy is making under $8 million. That is grossly underpaid if you look at what he has done. That is what everyone has done here and that is why we have had the success and that is the way it has been for this organization. I think that that in itself is a testament to management in how they want to build a team and, first and foremost, the players for wanting to do that and accept that and allow the management to go out there and build a roster to compete for the Stanley Cup. I think that's just always been the way it's been here"
Omg and Mackinnon! I've heard that the real Mackinnon was killed off shortly after signing his new deal and the new mackinnon is a former AHL player who got extensive plastic surgery by a renowned Doctor, all paid by the NHLPA. All the players are in on in it, apparently they let the imposter Mackinnon produce points at unreal pace to fool fans in believing it's the real Mackinnon!!!

"We have guys that we wouldn't (otherwise) be able to bring in," MacKinnon told Forbes' Jordan Horrobin on Wednesday in Toronto. "On my next deal, I'll take less again. Because I want to win with this group."

Last edited:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

Look up Mattias Ekholm and his 2016 contract. He took way less then he could. And there are many more.
" -Where i come from we dont need that much money" - Mattias Ekholm.
He got more after that contract , but he had no way of knowing for sure how long his carrer would be.

If i anyway would donate 2mill a year to charity, and instead let the organisation handle that, i would not even loose any money. And they would afford better players.

I am just saying how i would do if possible. In my situation. I can live good on 0,5 mill a year. so the other 8,5 is just a bonus. the extra 2mill to charity i would not miss at all. If NHLPA the agent or my family would have any major problems with that i would just leave them.

Reactions: ruaware41

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Look up Mattias Ekholm and his 2016 contract. He took way less then he could. And there are many more.
" -Where i come from we dont need that much money" - Mattias Ekholm.
He got more after that contract , but he had no way of knowing for sure how long his carrer would be.

If i anyway would donate 2mill a year to charity, and instead let the organisation handle that, i would not even loose any money. And they would afford better players.

I am just saying how i would do if possible. In my situation. I can live good on 0,5 mill a year. so the other 8,5 is just a bonus. the extra 2mill to charity i would not miss at all. If NHLPA the agent or my family would have any major problems with that i would just leave them.
I don’t know you. with that said you don’t think tavares or stamkos would have been thinking the same stuff or hypotheticals on a snow day in grade 9 while shoveling the driveway? It’s easy to think like this while not in their shoes. If any of us time travelled and got drafted by boston as an 18 year old what do you think we’d do, sit out until traded or try and make the team?

ruaware41

Typical
Oct 22, 2019
Agree with what you said for the most part, but I think it’s possible to love the city you play in and live in and want to make the most money possible. Unfortunately a players mindset is to rinse a team before the team rinses you. As much as people want to blame the players, athletes are not responsible for managing a salary cap. That’s the hockey clubs responsibility.

Good managements teams are able to get their players to buy into the idea of being for the team and why the concept of the stars having reasonable contracts will help keep their club competitive. The organization failed from the start when it came to the ELC negotiations. They tried to screw Marner and a few others out of their rookie bonuses and then expected those same players to just forget about that 3 years later? Delusional on their part IMO.
lamierello was a real jackass for that. guy got carried by a clutch brodeur to multiple cups inflating his career like happened with babs. lou and dubas both managed it like morons

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I don’t know you. with that said you don’t think tavares or stamkos would have been thinking the same stuff or hypotheticals on a snow day in grade 9 while shoveling the driveway? It’s easy to think like this while not in their shoes. If any of us time travelled and got drafted by boston as an 18 year old what do you think we’d do, sit out until traded or try and make the team?
Try to make the team.

When the best players act in one way , there is a way bigger chance that others follow.
I just say how i am raised and how i think about money vs reality. Reality is that the 2mill would serve me better if i gave them to people or organisations that needed them way more. Because my team would be stronger. and the chance of winning higher. And i would feel no other pressure then to perform, not to contract but to my highest ability.
You have to ask yourself , what would be best for my career?. If the answer is 2mill over market value, then you are fooling yourself. A contract like i suggested would change the culture while still make the owners pay a fair amount. And take me one step closer to the ultimate prize.

When the Marner and Matthews and Nylander careers are over and they understand that a paycut that would not change the quality of life for them at all, would increase the chance of a Stanley cup by 80%(just guessing here), they will regret it.

I still blame Tavares contract, it was like a startpistol for "show me the money". He could have gotten more some say. Imagine how the contracts would look then.
I wish we never got Tavares. He became the star the others was aiming for and beyond.

Reactions: BraveCanadian

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Gio was only a year or two out from winning the Norris when he came home for minimum salary.

He’s the boss of hometown discounts.

Marner could probably stay a Leaf for life if he took 9x8.
I’m not even sure if we want Marner even at that price. We need to change the culture of the team into winners at all cost and he’s just not it.
He’s not a kid anymore, he’s 28 and is what he is and will never change

Matthews, Marner, Tavares, Willy. Their sign is $$$$.
And failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad