Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
This won't go ever well but why not.

Here are Hymans recent numbers

View attachment 876586

Here are Marner's recent numbers

View attachment 876587

Hymans only been over a point per game once in the last six seasons while Marner's point per game numbers kind of justify his large contract demands. Hyman played with world class players in all 6 of those seasons so maybe his hot playoffs this year on a good team is kind of inflating his aura.

In 76 playoff games Hyman has 56 points and +8.

In 57 playoff games Marner has 50 points and +10.

We all know Hyman goes to the net hard and bangs in greasy goals. But up until this year his numbers all round were pretty mid. He's also 31 while Marner is 27. In a vacuum , say an expansion team could sign either player, with no McJesus to play with I am not taking Hyman to build my franchise with over Marner. Hyman has had a great year but it could just be an aberration. Have a great day Marner fans.
Another Marner slappy totally underplaying playoff grit, toughness, and leadership. Surprise, surprise, surprise!

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Hyman is one of the most mishandled players the Leafs have had in a long time.
His entire job here was to get the puck to matthews and Marner. In Edmonton he is given a prominent role with 2 stars that treat him like an equal and actually feed him the puck when he is in a better spot than them.
Our entire build model was to feed the “stars” that Dubas overpaid

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
One aspect of the Marner resigning is that we've already overpaid Matthews by 500,000 and Nylander by 1M (imo) so if you can't get the Marner deal right we are in cap structure problems again. I can't see him accepting less than Nylander so he will be overpaid (imo) and we will again have millions to try to eek out of the rest of the lineup here and there. Going over market value for 1 or 2 guys is ok but you can't recoup millions over millions even with Spezza doing favour deals.
Now this is the kind of post I can get behind.

There is absolutely zero chance JT is traded, even if his bonus is paid by the Leafs. Even if you could convince another team to offer something worthwhile JT would veto that shit in a nanosecond. He is either walking to UFA or being re-signed, my strong preference being the former.

Marner is different. He's younger and more talented. There are teams for which he could legitimately be a great fit and add a lot to their organization, and I could imagine him really enjoying himself in those locations. We have talked about the reasons for trading him ad nauseam, over and over, and some agree and some don't. If Marner is traded it will only happen during the summer; if he makes it to the start of the season he's staying at least to the end of the year...and hopefully no longer.
I find it hard to understand why the above is hard for some to understand. 100% total logic.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Im still frustrated from when Swayman turned the puck over to him and he still took it around the perimeter instead of going to the net
He knew he was OK going in the same direction, but he looked like he didn’t want to take a chance at stopping and reversing course in case a Bruin was there to fill him in.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
RE: Tavares, everyone says he wouldn't waive because he has a family etc....so do a lot of other players in the league. Ullmark didn't waive because he didn't want to move his family mid-season, maybe in the off-season JT is more open to it, especially if he has been informed there are no plans to re-sign him. JT is going to end up having to move anyway because I don't think he's retiring at 34-35 years old in that scenario.
You bring up Ullmark, and it'll never happen because division rivals, but Tavares with retention for Ullmark would fill a hole on both teams

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
You bring up Ullmark, and it'll never happen because division rivals, but Tavares with retention for Ullmark would fill a hole on both teams

It would depend on JT's willingness to waive but he did interview with them a few years back.

JT is probably like plan D for them, Lindholm and Necas are probably A & B

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
His entire job here was to get the puck to matthews and Marner. In Edmonton he is given a prominent role with 2 stars that treat him like an equal and actually feed him the puck when he is in a better spot than them.
THIS………

Reactions: LeafSteel and Al14

Farsailor

Aug 4, 2018
This won't go ever well but why not.

Here are Hymans recent numbers

View attachment 876586

Here are Marner's recent numbers

View attachment 876587

Hymans only been over a point per game once in the last six seasons while Marner's point per game numbers kind of justify his large contract demands. Hyman played with world class players in all 6 of those seasons so maybe his hot playoffs this year on a good team is kind of inflating his aura.

In 76 playoff games Hyman has 56 points and +8.

In 57 playoff games Marner has 50 points and +10.

We all know Hyman goes to the net hard and bangs in greasy goals. But up until this year his numbers all round were pretty mid. He's also 31 while Marner is 27. In a vacuum , say an expansion team could sign either player, with no McJesus to play with I am not taking Hyman to build my franchise with over Marner. Hyman has had a great year but it could just be an aberration. Have a great day Marner fans.
You dig that deep to convince us an expansion team would build around Marner rather than Zach Hyman? Guess that says it all.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Feels like it's worth noting that there were some here that agreed with the decision to let him go - his age, injury history, and his desire for term, really put a lot of people off of extending him.

it was cute when many spent like 3 weeks pretending like Bunting was a clear and huge upgrade over Hyman and a home-run decision by the leafs.

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Telling it like it is ain't rude.
I am confident that all GMs in the NHL would be thrilled to have Marner at 9m and I am confident that anyone would consider your response to that as rude if it was face to face. You've got a bad read on both of those things. Also depending on what slappy means you might have a bad read on my feelings about Marner too but I can't say for sure because I've never heard of what you are seemingly using like a childish characterization of people who's opinion isn't the same as yours.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Where does Hyman score most of his goals from? The spot Marner never shall go. Can he learn "courage" and grow a pair?
No. Players very rarely change especially at 27. When have you ever seen a player suddenly go from soft and timid to gritty and fearless? Especially mid career. He may start going there a little more, however, we all know he doesn't want to.... so he still will likely lose battles more than he wins...he will probably just do a better job of disguising his distaste for it.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

57 Years No Cup

Nov 12, 2007
I am confident that all GMs in the NHL would be thrilled to have Marner at 9m and I am confident that anyone would consider your response to that as rude if it was face to face. You've got a bad read on both of those things. Also depending on what slappy means you might have a bad read on my feelings about Marner too but I can't say for sure because I've never heard of what you are seemingly using like a childish characterization of people who's opinion isn't the same as yours.
Like you did when you accuse people who want Marner out of Toronto emotional? Look in the mirror, Bud.

Reactions: AvroArrow

QJo

Luke Warmtakes
Dec 8, 2016
Ontario
Like you did when you accuse people who want Marner out of Toronto emotional? Look in the mirror, Bud.
Fans are emotional. GMs shouldn't be when it comes to roster decisions. Hence my reference to how they would feel about Marners value. And yet as someone who thinks we'd could be better if he was moved I don't blanketly think wanting him moved has to be emotionally driven.

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
Now this is the kind of post I can get behind.

I find it hard to understand why the above is hard for some to understand. 100% total logic.
There are some people here that locked themselves into player "camps" or something for whatever reason.

My feelings are more like the Gunnery Sgt. Hartman in Full Metal Jacket: YOU ARE ALL EQUALLY WORTHLESS

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Couple issues with Hyman

#1 He had 2 significant knee injuries, people were afraid of a long term deal. Given his style of play

#2 The core 4 ate too much of the cap, we couldn't afford to allocate more cap to another forward

While he was great for us, he never would have produced these types of numbers with us. McDavid is a different animal and a pass first mentality vs Matthews shoot first. A lot of people are upset watching him perform at a high level, while it still stings, people gotta understand his ceiling was capped in Toronto, he's a much better fit in Edmonton.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Couple issues with Hyman

#1 He had 2 significant knee injuries, people were afraid of a long term deal. Given his style of play

#2 The core 4 ate too much of the cap, we couldn't afford to allocate more cap to another forward

While he was great for us, he never would have produced these types of numbers with us. McDavid is a different animal and a pass first mentality vs Matthews shoot first. A lot of people are upset watching him perform at a high level, while it still stings, people gotta understand his ceiling was capped in Toronto, he's a much better fit in Edmonton.

Why couldn't they explore Hyman with Mitch? Hyman JT Marner. Marner was essentially Gretzky to you guys and is on par or better than McDavid lol at playmaking

Oh wait I remember now. Marner cried to be with AM. Good times. Love it

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I don’t see Tavares waiving.
And if he does , it’s gotta check every box.
Competitive team, accommodate him and his family needs for a year.

Oddly enough a team like Boston would make some sense. Big hub, play with Marchand, still in a win-now window.

Tavares (retained through another team) + Liljgren
For
Carlo

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Another Marner slappy totally underplaying playoff grit, toughness, and leadership. Surprise, surprise, surprise!
He doesn't have the bones, muscle or speed to go to net without getting injured .. he learned it when he was 8/9 and then again when he was 13/14 with concussions and shoulder injuries which put him out of game for 2-4 months each time .. i saw Hanifin hit from da bench in a Long Island spring tourney which our trainer had to go on ice to get him .. it was quite bad .. scary for everyone who saw it .. once you get wrecked that bad it is very very hard to overcome that fear .. i don't think he will ever go there again .. but it has nothing to do with leadership or grit his body just does not have ability to withstand it .. most of you don't realize how small Mitch is .. and he is just not fast enough to get out of da way .. he is a really happy kid who totally gets his limitations .. but folks on here want him to be something more than he ever will be .. and a lot of it has to do with Dubie giving him way too much $$$$ .. but you can't blame kid for that .. any of us would have tried to do exactly what he did .. he is from a family who did not have funds to pay for his ice, team fees, equipment, etc etc .. so he was always looking for financial help/aid/sponsors etc .. da fact that he made it to da show and got his $$$ is amazing for him/them .. but irrespective of all this we as a TEAM can't carry more then 2 10M+ CAP hit players MAX .. and even then having 2 forwards is not smart for playoff success

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If we were drafting a team to play in the playoffs, how many people here I wonder would take Marner over Hyman?

I'm taking Hyman, that's for damn sure. When it comes to playoff hockey, Hyman's a player and Marner's a wuss, simple as that.

So the same Hyman who scored 13 points in 32 playoff games for the Leafs?

He figured it out when he want to Edmonton but Marner will never get it? Ever?

Gary this is a full of crap take. No one knew Hyman would become what he became. Also Hyman was one of Toronto’s worst playoff performers. He kind of cost us the MTL series tnt, how many grade A chances did Marner and Matthews provide him and he just bluntly missed especially in game 5 & 6. He scores just one of those chances Toronto advances. I’m glad he found his game in EDM, but let’s not pretend he’d be what he is now in Toronto 100%.

@Tarmore is correct, can we really say Mitch won’t ever figure it out? Or any of Torontos stars for that matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad