Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Sign and trade with some retainer could work. 12m x 3 1m retained to get some better assets over here. I would even retain 1.5m x 4 (includes his current contracted season +3).
I'd gladly sign Marner for $11.5mx8 and retain $1m for Brady Tkachuk. Sens would get him for 9 years for $85m (9.4m per year) and Leafs get Brady for $9+m. Marner get $11.5m.

I doubt there is a team out there willing to pay him $11.5mx8. We'll see.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I just wish Marner would "get it". His talent and 200ft game are top of the league.
He's never going to be the strongest on the ice, I'm not expecting him to be a power forward. Just.. take a hit to make a play. Take the open lane to the net. Take the shot when it's open.

"That's not my game" doesn't cut it when you want 12m dollars

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I just wish Marner would "get it". His talent and 200ft game are top of the league.
He's never going to be the strongest on the ice, I'm not expecting him to be a power forward. Just.. take a hit to make a play. Take the open lane to the net. Take the shot when it's open.

"That's not my game" doesn't cut it when you want 12m dollars

Well put.

We can't wait or hope he figures it out anymore though, this isn't just a small sample size anymore, this is a common theme.

We can't really ignore what we know and re-up him at this point.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He can't be signed until after July 1st so agents will have to wait. Only way he signs with the Leafs is if he agrees to a sign and trade (at least I hope so), otherwise they will have to wait a year.
Right, I forgot about that. Thanks for the correction.
JT will get 6 next year, I’d rather have him than Bert.
Agreed. It's been weird reading the comments about these two players - seems like the majority of people would like to sign Bertuzzi and are willing to pay him 5 million, and the majority of people say Tavares can take a hike or maybe he can stay if he's willing to sign for 3 million tops.

I mean we'll see where we're at a year from now but these takes are just ridiculous IMO. I looked it up not too long ago and I don't remember for sure but I think JT was still in the top 70 in points among fowwards league wide. I do know for sure that he scored a lot more points than Bertuzzi. He's also very solid defensively, is amazing on the draw, he has no weaknesses in his game, the only knock on him is that he's not as young as he once was so is declining and is also not a fast skater but the way some people talk about him you'd think he has one foot in the grave.

A top line forward, great all-round two way player, not sure what you'd have to be smoking to think you'd draw the line at paying him more than 3 million a year.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
at this point JT's a quality 3rd line centre, how many of those guys make 6mil a year? I'd say JT's worth 4 on a one year deal depending how bad his game drops off this season...........
More like an elite 2nd line centre if you ask me. Maybe he drops off this season but until it happens, no reason to assume that he'll drop off that bad. I think there's a good chance he'll be happy to sign here at a discount so I say wait until next summer, and see where we're at. If we're lucky he's still a 6 million dollar player at that point, and he'll be willing to sign with us for 4.x or WE.

Reactions: 4thline

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Not sure what I can really say to convince you, if after all this time you can't see it lol

Maroon was a great 30 goal scorer as well, I don't see how McDavid had anything to do with it.

Hyman is a great player but McDavid alone is responsible for creating at least 25 of those, if not more. Hyman obviously is a work horse, you can't discredit his compete level and IQ, but it's literally he goes to the net, McJesus dangles the entire team and gives him a tap in.

So was Hyman better in Toronto or what? I’ve been told Matthews can’t make plays, how was Hyman putting up nearly the same ES production here?

Reactions: thewave

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
More like an elite 2nd line centre if you ask me. Maybe he drops off this season but until it happens, no reason to assume that he'll drop off that bad. I think there's a good chance he'll be happy to sign here at a discount so I say wait until next summer, and see where we're at. If we're lucky he's still a 6 million dollar player at that point, and he'll be willing to sign with us for 4.x or WE.
I simply can't agree with JT being elite as a 2nd line C, I want him to play 3rd line minutes where he'll excel and not be toast come April. Unlike the rest of the core JY's shortcomings aren't for lack of effort, there from time catching up to a good player..........

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So was Hyman better in Toronto or what? I’ve been told Matthews can’t make plays, how was Hyman putting up nearly the same ES production here?

See these are the disconnects in this fanbase. It depends who we talk about. Marner made Matthews. Marner is as good as McDavid at playmaking. Hyman is only good because McDavid. Marner couldn't.... You get it.

There is no consistency at all. Anything to get Keefe Shanahan Dubas or Marner off the hook. Those four have more excuses made for them than anyone else.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I simply can't agree with JT being elite as a 2nd line C, I want him to play 3rd line minutes where he'll excel and not be toast come April. Unlike the rest of the core JY's shortcomings aren't for lack of effort, there from time catching up to a good player..........
Top ~30 amongst C's (actual, not listed because they took a faceoff once in peewee) in total and ev scoring, faceoff ace, solid enough defensively that he doesn't need to be sheltered.

There's an argument for load management for sure but that's so that we get face value in playoffs, and that face value is "more than a quality 3C"

also, is your . button sticky or something?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Hyman was great here, he just gels much better with McDavid

Or was he trending that way if he had MM on his line who is almost as good as McDavid at playmaking (In the eyes of some).

Maybe it was Keefe. Utilization.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Or was he trending that way if he had MM on his line who is almost as good as McDavid at playmaking (In the eyes of some).

Maybe it was Keefe. Utilization.

The only real change Hyman has had besides playing with the best player in the world is that EDM’s PP runs through Hyman, Draisaitl and McDavid.

Hyman went from a career high 3 PP goals and being underutilized on the PP, to back to back 15 PP goal seasons. The first year in EDM he had 5 PP goals. What he’s done is still impressive because 35ish of his goals have come either at even strength or short handed.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The only real change Hyman has had besides playing with the best player in the world is that EDM’s PP runs through Hyman, Draisaitl and McDavid.

Hyman went from a career high 3 PP goals and being underutilized on the PP, to back to back 15 PP goal seasons. The first year in EDM he had 5 PP goals. What he’s done is still impressive because 35ish of his goals have come either at even strength or short handed.

So Keefe and Dubas failed to identify his potential. Aint that common. Throw him on the stack of other players that get misused and replaced with mostly useless in the PO Europeans for some peculiar reason. We dont get the useful ones, just the useless will do for Toronto.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So Keefe and Dubas failed to identify his potential. Aint that common. Throw him on the stack of other players that get misused and replaced with mostly useless in the PO Europeans for some peculiar reason. We dont get the useful ones, just the useless will do for Toronto.

I don’t think it was keefe or Dubas. I think loosing Hyman is on Shanny. It’s on our president to tell Dubas to give Hyman the contract. It sounded like they didn’t want to give him trade protection and term and that killed the deal. So that’s on somebody in management. I’m speculating but I’m going to put that on Shanny cause he’s the president and has final say and even if Dubas was adamant it’s a bad idea to give him the trade protection, you have to step in and say he’s the type of player we need

Reactions: RunItBackAgain

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Elite is a subjective term so not going to argue that point. I stand by my main point though which is that JT is massively underrated in these parts.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Naa Dubas wanted Hyman, sounds like he tried to low ball him and Hyman refused to negotiate any longer. Hyman was being disrespected for a bit once Babs left. Especially with all the rumors of Matthews not wanting him on his line.

Remember they released a statement ahead of the UFA period that they would be signing with Oilers regardless. Dubas responded that they would not be trading Hyman to Edmonton to get him the 8th year because the Leafs wanted to keep him and would not be helping another organization with their cap management for a player they didn't want to lose without considerable assets coming back.

There was alot of talk of Dubas low balling UFAs but trying to sell that they'd be playing with Leaf high end talent which would benefit their next contract.

Reactions: thewave

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Naa Dubas wanted Hyman, sounds like he tried to low ball him and Hyman refused to negotiate any longer. Hyman was being disrespected for a bit once Babs left. Especially with all the rumors of Matthews not wanting him on his line.

Remember they released a statement ahead of the UFA period that they would be signing with Oilers regardless. Dubas responded that they would not be trading Hyman to Edmonton to get him the 8th year because the Leafs wanted to keep him and would not be helping another organization with their cap management for a player they didn't want to lose without considerable assets coming back.

There was alot of talk of Dubas low balling UFAs but trying to sell that they'd be playing with Leaf high end talent which would benefit their next contract.

Solid reasoning. Makes sense and all that but, why do they just keep bringing in the softest euros.

So be it if that was the case. We need speed and grit going forward. BT seems to be will to provide that.

Shocked none of the Leafs players told Mitch to get involved in the game physically or they would level him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad