Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
But you said he wasn't doing much, trying to compare him to our top guys not doing much...I point out he has more than a pt per game not to mention at a cheaper cost and you say yea but he only has 5 goals. Do you watch him play at all? I mean I guess other than being in the conference finals, He is a leader. He gives a shit and it shows. I want more of that from our big guns, as it should be if you want any chance at all at going the distance.

I mean as of now Marner is still on the team and Berube has already said he likes to meet the players so it makes sense. Im not sure it means anything either way regarding Marners future in Toronto.

Never compared him to our stars. I just simply replied to the OP saying he was overrated, which I do feel he is. But his cap hit is under 10 mill so it’s more tolerable.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Let him play? Guys keep thinking the organization is in the driver’s seat. The whole meeting thing just seemed weird. Why wasn’t it at Scotia bank arena? Why didn’t the new coach go to the Marner digs? Not even a swank restaurant, just seems like a modest coffee shop I doubt either frequent very often if ever before.

New Maple Leafs coach Craig Berube was spotted having conversation with a star forward Mitch Marner, who is rumoured to be a potential trade chip.​

Since the Leafs were eliminated by the Boston Bruins, rumours have been swirling about trading Mitch Marner, John Tavares or Morgan Rielly to signify a massive change in philosophy with the Leafs. The obvious candidate to be traded of the three is Marner.

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported last week that he believed conversations between the Leafs and Marner would begin this week or next. It appears those conversations have begun, although not with GM Brad Treliving, as far as anyone knows.

Marner was spotted meeting with Berube in Toronto. As Treliving did with Sheldon Keefe last off-season, and as Tavares said he was going to do with Berube, it was likely a 'getting to know you' meeting - discussing how Berube's system and Marner's play style would fit together.

Depending how the two see each other fitting together, this could be the beginning of a new style of play for Marner, or it could be the beginning of the end of Marner's tenure in Toronto. He and the Leafs will be under the microscope the entire off-season, or at least until a decision on his future is made.

Reactions: PromisedLand

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
View attachment 876295

Berube: did you pick your 10 teams like we said last time ?

I am not sure how "true" this pic is that I just saw on twitter but it is something....

GOnKG4YXEAAUJlB

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Or management could be in control with an internal cap structure. You want more than this? Ok, hope the next team gives it to you.
Who runs the show. There is fair, there is lowball and there is greedy.
Management can be in the fair.
And that is why I am so glad that Shanahan is on his way out.

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Though the sports writer pointed out in 2017, what we've been saying about Marner since day 1, playoff speed is too much for him:
One of the challenges with Marner is not his size, but rather his style of play. He’s a creative player whose strength is his patience with the puck. He likes to play keep-away and wait for opponents to open passing and shooting lanes. Those extra seconds are nowhere to be found these days; opposing forwards who may have floated in the regular season are suddenly more aggressive on the backcheck.
you see Panarin in similar spots to MM in these playoffs, often up around the blueline looking for a lane down low or for a wrister toward the net.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If we were drafting a team to play in the playoffs, how many people here I wonder would take Marner over Hyman?

I'm taking Hyman, that's for damn sure. When it comes to playoff hockey, Hyman's a player and Marner's a wuss, simple as that.
Ditto, and while were at it I’d take the Tkachuk brothers over 34 and 88……..

Can you imagine just how bad Matthews, Marner, Nylander would be if there was no salary cap and they all 15-20 million x 10 yrs.
1716895854989.jpeg

We are talking about giving Bertuzzi 5 million/year now when we could have given it to Hyman back then. But we couldn’t because we are paying 4 guys half the cap.
And 3 of 4 score 1 goal. It’s exactly the same.
I like Bert, but his real value is 4 mil max……..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I think with the right roster additions and combinations that wouldn't be true. Matthews can tilt the ice.
When he feels like it he can be the second best playing in the league, problem is you never know what 34 will show up, might be the hat trick machine or it might be the invisible man. At least you know the Tkachuk brother will give it their all every shift……..

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
A canadian team has not won in 30 years is in the media. Gary Bet99man is going to make sure a Canadian team wins. My conspiracy theorist says Katz invested a lot of money and the best player in the world will be the ones to win it all this year.

Stay away from gas and ignition points.
Bettman being okay with a Canadian team winning the Cup??? I think Hell will freeze over before that ever happens! CANNOT stand him and that smug look on his face!!!

Reactions: thewave

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
The more you think about it, his agent and family went for the most money, regardless of Mitch Marner. Everyone was eager for their share. Mitch seems like a good kid, not the brightest. It's not like we are talking about a player taking max and not giving a f*ck afterwards.
There's always room for maturity and growth. One hopes that Mitch has been able to reflect on the past 6 years, and his relationship with the marketplace, and understand that multiple mistakes were made along the way to lead us here.

.....I'm just not sure he is capable of that sort of reflection, though. Obviously don't know him personally, but he does publicly come across very defensively & slightly arrogant, which are 2 traits you simply cannot have when you're being swallowed up.

I've never doubted his desire to win. I have major concerns about his/his team's ability to block out the noise here

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
Marketing-wise I think the league would prefer Dallas. It would stoke the interest for a future Houston expansion.
How sad is it if that is true? Even sadder that I (we) believe it to be true, but when you look around at the other leagues that also have a Canadian team playing, like the NBA and MLB, it's all about the states. The American networks make sure that, not necessarily the better teams, but more so the ones with superstar talent, get the coverage in primetime and get to play on those special days such as Christmas Day. Also, look at what expansion has done. The leagues, meaning the American networks, want to see teams in major markets, regardless of whether it is successful or not (Arizona Coyotes are the prime example)!

This is why I believe it will be a rare occasion to see any Canadian team win it all, because of the TV ratings it would get in the states!

Captain Crunch

Mar 31, 2019
This is obviously best case scenario, but I really worry about egos & emotions getting in the way - we know the Marner camp can be very emotional & take a lot of things personally, and I wonder if they get so irritated by the mere suggestion that the Leafs approach Marner about moving on / not extending him, that they stay and decide to play things out in a manner that is purely out of spite.

The 8th year in a potential sign & trade feels significant, but I can also totally see a scenario where Ferris advises Marner to not bother with a sign & trade now, where you're restricted to only going to a team that has the assets available to acquire you, and go the free agency route, where many more teams come to the table to negotiate, and potentially even create a bidding war, for his services.

That's why I've maintained all along that I just don't see a scenario where the Leafs make it uncomfortable enough to push a potential trade through with Marner this summer. I fully expect him to be here next year, playing out his final year before walking for nothing.
I can see that happening as well, and if so, it will be very interesting to see how Berube handles him. Whether there was a "country club atmosphere around this team or not, and it certainly appeared that there was, that will definitely not be the case with Berube and Tre! Also, if Marner does stay, at least we can look forward to the next year when $21.9 million comes off our cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad