Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
TWO HOURS?

CB: Mitch, we plan on playing an aggressive forechecking style. It will require you to aggressively be on the puck at all times, and to give and take a hit to make a play as required. Can you do that Mitch?

MM: Coach, I really love playing here in Toronto. I can do whatever it takes.

CB: OK Mitch, I'll take you at your word. He's what I need you to do in the offseason. I need you to hit the weights hard. I need you to concentrate on developing upper and lower body strength, and I want you to eat right and put on 20 pounds. Can you commit to that?

MM: WELL.....

CB: In addition I need you to work on your skating and especially your shot. Can you commit to that?

MM: Let me call my agent.
Those pretend conversations are so nonsensical.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
18pts in 14 playoff games this year, never mind his leadership abilities. oh and 9.5m.

He has 5 goals of those 18 points. 2 goals in his last 11 playoff games. But sure go off with posting raw stats lol. Not sure why this board loves gawking him off so much. Not saying our stars are better but people act like he’s the second coming of Jesus. There’s a few guys around the league watching this playoffs I’d take over him, including a few on his own team

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
There's not many wingers who can give 90-100 points and his level of defence.

There's a 1% chance he is traded. You have better odds marner figures out his playoff offence issue than to bet on being better without him.
After 8 years he’s suddenly going to fix his playoff issues. If that is truly the case maybe they should have waited until he figured it out before they gave him the insane contract..
Unless he can grow a pair he will never get playoff hockey

Reactions: Hockeyholic

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Why exactly would you bring back Marner?

1) He plays on the top line. We've seen a lot of this. Results not great. Line is far too soft to win in the playoffs.
2) He plays on the 2nd line. Can he score 40 goals away from Matthews like Nylander does? Of course not, he can't score 40 goals with Matthews. So what's he going to do setup Tavares? For $12 million per year? Yeah, no.

It's a shame they didn't move him before his NMC kicked in. Shanahan really should have been fired for that alone.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Why is he having 1 on 1 meetings with the new coach if his plan is to find a new destination this summer? It looks like the plan is to let him play out his contract year under Berube and then see what happens.
I’m guessing that he was asking Berube if he was going to mean and make him do hard things or can I dipsy doodle all I want and go AWOL in the playoffs. lol

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Why is he having 1 on 1 meetings with the new coach if his plan is to find a new destination this summer? It looks like the plan is to let him play out his contract year under Berube and then see what happens.
Let him play? Guys keep thinking the organization is in the driver’s seat. The whole meeting thing just seemed weird. Why wasn’t it at Scotia bank arena? Why didn’t the new coach go to the Marner digs? Not even a swank restaurant, just seems like a modest coffee shop I doubt either frequent very often if ever before.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Let him play? Guys keep thinking the organization is in the driver’s seat. The whole meeting thing just seemed weird. Why wasn’t it at Scotia bank arena? Why didn’t the new coach go to the Marner digs? Not even a swank restaurant, just seems like a modest coffee shop I doubt either frequent very often if ever before.
The overdrive guys said something similar. Why out in public like that and not behind closed doors? It's an interesting development.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
The overdrive guys said something similar. Why out in public like that and not behind closed doors? It's an interesting development.
I guess they may have avoided the arena because Mitch would definitely want his agent around if it was anything that seriously had a chance of changing.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
TWO HOURS?

CB: Mitch, we plan on playing an aggressive forechecking style. It will require you to aggressively be on the puck at all times, and to give and take a hit to make a play as required. Can you do that Mitch?

MM: Coach, I really love playing here in Toronto. I can do whatever it takes.

CB: OK Mitch, I'll take you at your word. He's what I need you to do in the offseason. I need you to hit the weights hard. I need you to concentrate on developing upper and lower body strength, and I want you to eat right and put on 20 pounds. Can you commit to that?

MM: WELL.....

CB: In addition I need you to work on your skating and especially your shot. Can you commit to that?

MM: Let me call my agent.
So... he ran out of lives with Dubas, but Dubas left. Then he was given another chance with Treliving. He failed even worse. Now... a coach change, to see if that will help? He was having the same difficulties when Babs was the coach, Babs literally said he needs "to dig in" during the 2017 playoffs

He’s got to dig in,” Babcock said Saturday. “Everything about guys who score and feed off having the puck, sometimes in the playoffs you never get the puck. So you’ve got to come to grips with that and then enjoy the touches you do have and work hard to get it back.

I get it if it was just the lack of production, but you can't teach heart.its unfair to his teammates for Marner to now say "I can play more physical..I'll go into the corners and to the front of the net"...

Though the sports writer pointed out in 2017, what we've been saying about Marner since day 1, playoff speed is too much for him:

One of the challenges with Marner is not his size, but rather his style of play. He’s a creative player whose strength is his patience with the puck. He likes to play keep-away and wait for opponents to open passing and shooting lanes. Those extra seconds are nowhere to be found these days; opposing forwards who may have floated in the regular season are suddenly more aggressive on the backcheck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kazparov

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Pics on instagram of Marner and Berube having a coffee alone, let the speculation begin

“There’s some great places to live in StL, Mitchy. It’s a great hockey town, they have the Cardinals, terrific neighbourhood restaurants and no one will bother you. (All true, by the way). Don’t forget about Anaheim. Orange county? Out East? Absolutely perfect for you, you already know enough French to get by, but if you don’t learn more, the media will leave you alone. Out west? They’ll love you. No, You don’t want to live in Nashville or anywhere in Florida, far too hot and humid.”

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
All I get out of it is he's willing to communicate. I have no idea what his personal opinions regarding his future are.
It’s all speculation at the this point.
Whether Marner stays 1 year, signs long term or is traded, they aren’t going to ignore him.
I would imagine Berube, Tre and Shanahan will all speak to him. They have too if they meant they were conducting a complete investigation. They said they were going through everything.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
What a pivotal decision for both the leafs and Marner for future planning. The CBA is to blame, if there wasn't a hard cap we wouldn't need to be cut throat with our players.

Sadly, up until right now we've been cut throat to everyone but the core 4.

Will be a fascinating summer. I haven't a clue what will happen to Liljegren nevermind Marner.

A potential Marner trade could go 100 different ways.

You'd think if the Leafs were considering extending him this offseason we'd hear something. Don't think that is likely.

As fans we just need to let it ride. I hate the month of August, it's a hockey news wasteland. Maybe the next month will get interesting
Can you imagine just how bad Matthews, Marner, Nylander would be if there was no salary cap and they all 15-20 million x 10 yrs.

Reactions: JKG33

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
IMG-1705.png

What’s wrong with Marner’s leg?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
None of our core 4 have the ability to carry the team on their back. NONE

Maybe Mitch will do the same as matthews and sign a shorter contract and be greedy by getting another contract after this.

If the leafs can’t trade him they won’t cut his ice time put him on the third line with no powerplay time like some dumb posters believe could happen.

Mitch has all the control over his contract and where he will play after this year when he is unrestricted.
The fact is anything can happen. Don't cry too much when Mitch opts out.
I do find the meeting interesting, since Berube said he had already spoken with Mitch.

Edit. Sorry didn't realize this was from last week. The two hours is noteworthy. Exactly

He has 5 goals of those 18 points. 2 goals in his last 11 playoff games. But sure go off with posting raw stats lol. Not sure why this board loves gawking him off so much. Not saying our stars are better but people act like he’s the second coming of Jesus. There’s a few guys around the league watching this playoffs I’d take over him, including a few on his own team
But at 9.5 million, it works. Mitch at $12M doesn't work for us. We need a back end.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
But you said he wasn't doing much, trying to compare him to our top guys not doing much...I point out he has more than a pt per game not to mention at a cheaper cost and you say yea but he only has 5 goals. Do you watch him play at all? I mean I guess other than being in the conference finals, He is a leader. He gives a shit and it shows. I want more of that from our big guns, as it should be if you want any chance at all at going the distance.

This seems like a sign that Marner is going stick around more than him being a malcontent that wants out , no?
I mean as of now Marner is still on the team and Berube has already said he likes to meet the players so it makes sense. Im not sure it means anything either way regarding Marners future in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad