Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Give me a team full of inferior players that win in the playoffs and I’ll leave others to worship at the alter of these God-like players. I simply don’t care, they are not precious to me.
You sound like a real Crest on the Front true Leafs fan and not a name on the back enthusiast, that puts player before team. :wg:

When Matthews was in with all his Pals the Leafs went down 3-1 in the series... Without Matthews in game #5 and #6 the Leafs played their best hockey of the series with their backs against the Wall and their rookie goalie Woll in net in a high pressure true blue collar effort, holding Boston to just 2 GF while surrendering 14 in the first 4 games while getting dominated.

In the playoffs "Will beat skill" and when skill is invisible it helps no one.

Some fans fear the loss of Marner should he be traded, many diehard fans fear the loss of playoff wins, when a passenger like Marner disappears annually and plays no part in helping the team advance.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Screensho (13).jpg

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Exactly.

He would be eligible for an 8-year extension with another team if he agrees to a move this summer though right?
True.Set for Life in a city he is barely recognizable.

You’d think they would have informed him by now that he’s not in their future plans, if not, not only are the Leafs dysfunctional, but also malicious……….
I heard two teams have contacted his agent?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Matthew Tkachuk is slightly overrated imo. Good player but outside of last years playoffs which have really helped his overall totals, the guy barely scores goals in the playoffs himself. Gives a good effort though! He’s been invisible against the rangers
18pts in 14 playoff games this year, never mind his leadership abilities. oh and 9.5m.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
The snarky title is back. Lol @ the triggered.
@1specter, or @Punch Drunk Loov

Can we use your second or third post in this thread to post the playoff videos and stats to display reasons to support him being traded?

I would love to get the information in my post #3238 right below @ACC1224 first post... Since they obviously started this thread to control it. It would be great for everyone to see some of this importsnt information immediately after the first post. 😀

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Give me a team full of inferior players that win in the playoffs and I’ll leave others to worship at the alter of these God-like players. I simply don’t care, they are not precious to me.
I'm amazed that there are still people who actually worship a choker like Marner.
The snarky title is back. Lol @ the triggered.
Yup. I'm surprised this place even allows this childish change the thread title every day bullshit.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
^^

This. How else can you explain Marners corsi jerks? He holds onto the puck until everyone is in the position, proceeds with a meh shot(dump) with 0% chance for a rebound not to mention a goal.

Every game, for someone with a Wayne-like hockey mind, a lot of his game can only be explained as pleasing advanced stats, not trying to score.

Carolina plays corsi hockey, they shoot from everywhere as often as humanly possible. We look off obvious shooting lanes and overpass for half a shift usually ending up in losing the zone without even getting a shot attempt on the board. If you wanted to pad your fancy stats you sure as shit wouldn’t play the way we do.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Unless his play really deteriorates, I expect he'll get top 6 minutes.

His relationship with Leafs might. If Tre decides it's time to send a message, dog house for a month before he begs for a trade might be the best way to go!

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
You’d think they would have informed him by now that he’s not in their future plans, if not, not only are the Leafs dysfunctional, but also malicious……….
Not fair. Berube was seen talking to Marner for 2 hours. He may have asked Marner what he wants.If Marner says I'm not waiving then Leafs have a different outlook. It's not malicious. If Marner says no way I'm waiving maybe Leafs back off.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
The only way to pressure Marner is to tell him right now he won't be re-signed. But even then he can still refuse to waive.

He could still make mega bucks on a sign-and-trade...it's a head scratcher why any player at his age would want to remain on a team who doesn't want him...also, no one could predict the future...if he signs an 8-year extension and is traded, he's guaranteed that contract...if he waits to play out another year when he hits UFA, who knows what happens between now and then...who predicted the pandemic? It is in his own best interest to get an extension done asap and move on instead of waiting out another year on a team who doesn't want him.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Not fair. Berube was seen talking to Marner for 2 hours. He may have asked Marner what he wants.If Marner says I'm not waiving then Leafs have a different outlook. It's not malicious. If Marner says no way I'm waiving maybe Leafs back off.
TWO HOURS?

CB: Mitch, we plan on playing an aggressive forechecking style. It will require you to aggressively be on the puck at all times, and to give and take a hit to make a play as required. Can you do that Mitch?

MM: Coach, I really love playing here in Toronto. I can do whatever it takes.

CB: OK Mitch, I'll take you at your word. He's what I need you to do in the offseason. I need you to hit the weights hard. I need you to concentrate on developing upper and lower body strength, and I want you to eat right and put on 20 pounds. Can you commit to that?

MM: WELL.....

CB: In addition I need you to work on your skating and especially your shot. Can you commit to that?

MM: Let me call my agent.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You sound like a real Crest on the Front true Leafs fan and not a name on the back enthusiast, that puts player before team. :wg:

When Matthews was in with all his Pals the Leafs went down 3-1 in the series... Without Matthews in game #5 and #6 the Leafs played their best hockey of the series with their backs against the Wall and their rookie goalie Woll in net in a high pressure true blue collar effort, holding Boston to just 2 GF while surrendering 14 in the first 4 games while getting dominated.

In the playoffs "Will beat skill" and when skill is invisible it helps no one.

Some fans fear the loss of Marner should he be traded, many diehard fans fear the loss of playoff wins, when a passenger like Marner disappears annually and plays no part in helping the team advance.

I’ve always liked making the analogy that if our Big 4 guys are Lamborghini’s and Ferrari’s, and the Stanley Cup playoffs is an off road rally, our collection of star players is not fit for purpose. Doesn’t matter how great the collection is. We aren’t collecting precious things. We want to build a rough and tumble team that can win a number of different ways over a 2 month stress test. We aren’t waltzing to a cup.

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Leafland
None of our core 4 have the ability to carry the team on their back. NONE

Maybe Mitch will do the same as matthews and sign a shorter contract and be greedy by getting another contract after this.

If the leafs can’t trade him they won’t cut his ice time put him on the third line with no powerplay time like some dumb posters believe could happen.

Mitch has all the control over his contract and where he will play after this year when he is unrestricted.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I do find the meeting interesting, since Berube said he had already spoken with Mitch.

Edit. Sorry didn't realize this was from last week. The two hours is noteworthy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad