Player Discussion Mitch Marner - On Hiatus

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Marner be traded this off season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Why would he agree to waive at the deadline instead of just riding out the next two months to UFA?
No it may be any time upto. Why? Pressure. Two, Berube. Three the Leafs tell him they wont re sign him.Four, the other team may make him a crazy offer he cant say no to. Like 5 to 6 years at $12.5 Million.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Im here saying I think Marner is gone and that it isnt a one per cent chance. If Wayne can get traded the fact Marner has a NMC in no way means he wont be. Odds are its through his agent and then we sign and deliver him. I dont think Marner is set on staying or that Berube might want to go in another direction with this team. They need a backend way more than they need Marner.
Gretzky isn't proof of anything though, he didn't have a say, if he did he would have blocked the trade.
Marner will have a say and there haven't been many players, if any, that have waived in his situation.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
No it may be any time upto. Why? Pressure. Two, Berube. Three the Leafs tell him they wont re sign him.Four, the other team may make him a crazy offer he cant say no to. Like 5 to 6 years at $12.5 Million.
The only way to pressure Marner is to tell him right now he won't be re-signed. But even then he can still refuse to waive.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Nothing to see here. It is quite common for new coaches to give exit interviews for existing players on the way out:laugh:
Berube was quite familiar with being moved around the league, perhaps he was giving Mitchie some moving tips………

TheGreenTBer

the only language I speak is FAILURE
Apr 30, 2021
The only way to pressure Marner is to tell him right now he won't be re-signed. But even then he can still refuse to waive.
Exactly.

He would be eligible for an 8-year extension with another team if he agrees to a move this summer though right?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You’d think they would have informed him by now that he’s not in their future plans, if not, not only are the Leafs dysfunctional, but also malicious……….

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
You’d think they would have informed him by now that he’s not in their future plans, if not, not only are the Leafs dysfunctional, but also malicious……….
I am as far from a Marner fan as you get but I wouldn't be so bitchy if we hadn't already signed Nylander.

You just can't allocate 25% or more of your cap on two wingers that aren't playoff Gods and expect to win a Stanley Cup. Period. Marner's fate should have been sealed the instant Nylander signed an 8-year deal.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
Trade Mitch to Pittsburgh for 2 first round draft picks. Kyle will go for it. Kyle traded a first for broken back Foligno. And Marner will love the chance to be back in his safe place with Kyle.

b0358b724548bab24865594d6c6060f1.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Arzak and JKG33

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I am as far from a Marner fan as you get but I wouldn't be so bitchy if we hadn't already signed Nylander.

You just can't allocate 25% or more of your cap on two wingers that aren't playoff Gods and expect to win a Stanley Cup. Period. Marner's fate should have been sealed the instant Nylander signed an 8-year deal.
Yes, as much as the core are not the easiest players to like, the real problem is and always will be poor cap allocation……….

Maybe they both cook and Berube was looking for a recipe
Perhaps Berube wanted a reference on where to get a bitch ass tattoo……….

• Love
Reactions: TheGreenTBer

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Yes, as much as the core are not the easiest players to like, the real problem is and always will be poor cap allocation……….

Perhaps Berube wanted a reference on where to get a bitch ass tattoo……….
If any of these guys played like Leon Draisaitl in the postseason not a soul would complain about re-signing them.

But they don't. They very much don't. And for the time being, they cost even more.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Trade Mitch to Pittsburgh for 2 first round draft picks. Kyle will go for it. Kyle traded a first for broken back Foligno. And Marner will love the chance to be back in his safe place with Kyle.

b0358b724548bab24865594d6c6060f1.gif
Priceless………

Reactions: Arzak

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The only guarantee Marner has by his NMC is that he gets to decide where he plays the 2024-25 season. That's all, he doesn't get to dictate playing time nor linemates nor future contract terms and $$.

The fact that his Leafs career ends with his current contract is on the organization and the GM to decide and has full control over.

At present Marner is guaranteed to earn Zero $$ and current Leaf games beyond this current season, when July 1st 2025 arrives.

How will this play out will be interesting to see..

Other teams interested in trading for Marner that he turns down with a "NO" due to NMC card played will have future possible destinations & consequences for him. Also playing hardball going against team wishes sends another message with potential consequences to future teams what type of character Marner has to defy team wishes to move on, just because he can play that card and force managements hand. If he does it to Toronto his favourite team then any future suitors should realize they too might face a similar impasse situation, with this player. When your lining up to hand out a big contact you can bet character matters with that type of long-term commitment.

Hopefully Marner is smart enough to realize that his actions have consequences and he might not only be closing Toronto doors permanently, but other teams as well as his No Move Clause contract (NMC) might mean No Money Coming from other teams, and where he might have lots of say as to where he would like to go next by working with Leafs management on a trade to a team now that really wants him and willing to pay him, or see what's left over as the spoils as a UFA to chose from thereafter, once the dust settles on all the bridges he plans on burning this upcoming season to play hardball.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
You might not give a shit about Marner but a comment like yours isnt really well thought out. Good luck with your theory that Tkachuck is better than Matthews.

Give me a team full of inferior players that win in the playoffs and I’ll leave others to worship at the alter of these God-like players. I simply don’t care, they are not precious to me.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
What a pivotal decision for both the leafs and Marner for future planning. The CBA is to blame, if there wasn't a hard cap we wouldn't need to be cut throat with our players.

Sadly, up until right now we've been cut throat to everyone but the core 4.

Will be a fascinating summer. I haven't a clue what will happen to Liljegren nevermind Marner.

A potential Marner trade could go 100 different ways.

You'd think if the Leafs were considering extending him this offseason we'd hear something. Don't think that is likely.

As fans we just need to let it ride. I hate the month of August, it's a hockey news wasteland. Maybe the next month will get interesting

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Give me a team full of inferior players that win in the playoffs and I’ll leave others to worship at the alter of these God-like players. I simply don’t care, they are not precious to me.

Matthew Tkachuk is slightly overrated imo. Good player but outside of last years playoffs which have really helped his overall totals, the guy barely scores goals in the playoffs himself. Gives a good effort though! He’s been invisible against the rangers

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Matthew Tkachuk is slightly overrated imo. Good player but outside of last years playoffs which have really helped his overall totals, the guy barely scores goals in the playoffs himself. Gives a good effort though! He’s been invisible against the rangers
He was invisible game #2. He was dominant in game 1 and was OK yesterday. If this guy barely scores WTF are our overpaid losers doing ?

Reactions: myleafs

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

You know, for record I don’t really like Matthew Tkachuk, his between the whistle clown show and I agree that he’s overrated in the playoffs with his Darcy Tucker plus antics and finals run covering up for some really bad years in Calgary…

But boy do our guys not reward us ever for sticking up for them in these kind of debates. So yeah, give me the guys who win however the heck they do it than continuing to worship at this altar of our Big 4.

Arzak

Mar 27, 2019
Boy I hope we won't play him 25min game next year. Give him 5 min per game PK only if he insists on staying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad