Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Other GM's around the NHL may treat Leafs contracts as outliers. For instance for Brayden Point. There is no way he is getting what Matthews or Marner are going to get with what Kucherov is being paid. It's going to be weighted in proportion to what each team is paying their players. Which IMO is the correct way to negotiate. Just because 1 GM in this case of Dubas is overpaying, does not mean more responsible GM's as in TB should be penalized.

There's also not having the statistical resume that Matthews does.....

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
People still don't know Nylander's AVV. 7.5??? It is 6.96. Plaese give me an an example where Dubas over paid.

Teravainen(RFA signed this winter), Larkin(signed in Sept, same cap), Ehlers(signed to same cap hit), Pastranak(not really a comparable since he is much better signed a year before), take your pick. All 4 make up to a million or more less than Nylander.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Teravainen(RFA signed this winter), Larkin(signed in Sept, same cap), Ehlers(signed to same cap hit), Pastranak(not really a comparable since he is much better signed a year before), take your pick. All 4 make up to a million or more less than Nylander.
Yes, great still Nylander is not at 7.5. Nylander is not overpaid, Matthews isn't overpaid. I would like to see the players that the Leafs have overpaid for.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why is that interesting? His production today has nothing to do with his contract. He signed for 11.3% of the cap on a
0.94 Pts/GP production. Marner's ELC production is 31% higher than Draisaitl's and the cap is inflated 10.7%. Theoretically Marner could argue he is worth $12.3M using Draisaitl as the example.
Because with the RFA contracts, it's not only about what you have done, it's about what the team projects you to do and what you hope to become. Matthews is the perfect example, right?

You honestly think they are going by Pts/GP "only"? Of course not. Real points matter too. As does expected upside. etc...

What I meant by the interesting part....is how other GM's try and combat Dubas setting the market for all RFA's going forward.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I think Marner will get an unusually large 1 year bridge deal (say 7m-8m), then the following year the Leafs will give him the McDavid contract.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
I think Marner will get an unusually large 1 year bridge deal (say 7m-8m), then the following year the Leafs will give him the McDavid contract.

I think taking a 1 year deal doesn't really make any sense for him. He's proved he's a star player, and has been the Leaf's best player all season. I'm not sure why he would risk taking a 1 year deal when he can basically go for the massive deal right away anyway.

Xanner

Aug 2, 2009
I'm guessing the leafs will bite the bullet with marner and go a full 8 years at 12 mill and then trade nylander.

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
What's a reasonable scenario here ? Its a bigger situation than what most people think

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Yes, great still Nylander is not at 7.5. Nylander is not overpaid, Matthews isn't overpaid. I would like to see the players that the Leafs have overpaid for.
He signed for 45 million over 6 years. That's 7.5.

Yes we all know his cap hit the next 5 years is $6,962,366. It's also $10,277,778 this year. You only want to point out the 6.9.

And fwiw, on topic, I have always been a Marner fan and think he is fantastic.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I'm guessing the leafs will bite the bullet with marner and go a full 8 years at 12 mill and then trade nylander.

I think they bite the bullet and give Marner 8 years at 10.5 and then trade Zaitsev and let Gardiner walk.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
He signed for 45 million over 6 years. That's 7.5.

Yes we all know his cap hit the next 5 years is $6,962,366. It's also $10,277,778 this year. You only want to point out the 6.9.

And fwiw, on topic, I have always been a Marner fan and think he is fantastic.
His AVV( the number that counts) is 6.69 yes except for this year because of the signing bonus. Yes I only want to point out the 6.96 that is the important number.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Point has 80 points with 36 goals this year in 64 games. Has Matthews hit 80 points yet?

Production differences by year:

88% G/GP 42% Pts/GP
38% G/GP 28% Pts/GP
4% G/GP -9% Pts/GP

Quite obviously, one has the much better resume. Point has evened out this year. Most common linemate? Kucherov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad