Value of: Mitch Marner Contract Mega-Thread Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I've only seen 5 or so leaf games this year, but in every one of them Marner was their best player.

I'd say he was their best player in the Boston series last year as well while Matthews was a no-show, stifled completely by the Bruins' top line.

Coach

Dec 18, 2010
I don't think Leafs can afford to pay Marner 12 million which would likely mean a 7 year deal. I would assume they will end up signing Marner to a shorter deal similar to what they just signed Matthews for. I think over the last 2 years his play and point totals shows he is at least at a similar level to Matthews and Taveras (some could even argue this year he has been the Leafs best player).
Leafs I believe are in trouble in that they are so popular their players tend to get over rated compared to similar level players on other teams. Clearly Tavares took no home town discount, neither did Matthews or Nylander. Leaf fans can hope Marner will but I think his agent is doing a poor job if he signs a contract below Matthews or Taveras level. Marner likely sells more Jerseys than someone like Kucherov who scores more points and that value and extra revenue he brings in will likely bring him extra salary. It probably contributed to Taveras, Matthews and Nylanders high contracts.
I think the Leafs will have a top 4 that will be competitive with any top 4 in the league but I also think they are paying more for this top 4 than other organizations and could hurt future cup runs.
I see Toronto in hockey similar to the New York Yankees who tend to pay more to get players because of the extra publicity associated with playing in New York. The major difference being baseball doesn't have a salary cap but the nhl does.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
An honest question: why would Marner take a penny less than Matthews?

he wont... I know everyone likes to use the centerman argument but TO decided to pay their #1 AND #2 centermen both 11ish per year... Marner will want in on the money too seeing he is their best player already

Itll either be matching contracts or he will get more

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Beats me. Loyalty, maybe?

He's already scored more points than Matthews ever has, in any season, and will most likely be the first between the two of them to crack 100 points if he keeps up his pace this year.

he wont... I know everyone likes to use the centerman argument but TO decided to pay their #1 AND #2 centermen both 11ish per year... Marner will want in on the money too seeing he is their best player already

Itll either be matching contracts or he will get more
It's mind numbing to hear posters say he will sign for $9-10MM. The opportunity for any sort of discount went out the window when Tavares and Matthews got those big deals.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Interesting that Marchand thinks Marner is worth more than any Bruin.

I mean, he's not wrong, but that's a strange flex.

Not wrong at all.....I doubt he feels any Bruins should be making McDavid money either. :laugh:

McAvoy is their top pending RFA I believe and I doubt he'll sniff anywhere near $10 mil.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
It's mind numbing to hear posters say he will sign for $9-10MM. The opportunity for any sort of discount went out the window when Tavares and Matthews got those big deals.

When Kyle Dubas finally signed Nylander to nearly $7 mil per season, I knew Marner would be in line for a huge pay bump.

If Dubas comes in with an initial offer south of $9.5 mil for Marner, it's going to be a loooong negotiation. :laugh:

Reactions: FourRings

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012

BINGO!!!... Matthews and Marner are going to be setting a new trend and a new high for these young unreal players in the league. They're trend setters and all their buddies around the league are encouraging it so it raises their upcoming contracts too. Them both making 11+ mill after their ELC are increasing contracts everywhere... the Barzals, Points, Debrincats, Rantanen's etc etc etc etc all want them to get paid HUGE(not saying all will get that amount but it raises their price massively)... all these kids agents(im sure a lot share the same ones) are foaming at the mouth seeing what Marner and Matthews sign for

Reactions: FourRings

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
BINGO!!!... Matthews and Marner are going to be setting a new trend and a new high for these young unreal players in the league. They're trend setters and all their buddies around the league are encouraging it so it raises their upcoming contracts too. Them both making 11+ mill after their ELC are increasing contracts everywhere... the Barzals, Points, Debrincats, Rantanen's etc etc etc etc all want them to get paid HUGE(not saying all will get that amount but it raises their price massively)... all these kids agents(im sure a lot share the same ones) are foaming at the mouth seeing what Marner and Matthews sign for
Yep, Dubas f***ed up the system that was in place. Great for the players and the NHLPA but not the owners.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
He doesn't sign for a penny less than Matthews and only if it's a 5 yr contract. If it's a 8 yr contract i see 12 mil going his direction.
Over 40 mil tied up on 4 forwards.Ya i love it.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
He doesn't sign for a penny less than Matthews and only if it's a 5 yr contract. If it's a 8 yr contract i see 12 mil going his direction.
Over 40 mil tied up on 4 forwards.Ya i love it.

ya I was surprised to see majority of Leaf fans on this site actually say how livid/frustrated they were with Matthews' contract... it's gonna happen again big time when Marner signs his

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I don't think Leafs can afford to pay Marner 12 million which would likely mean a 7 year deal. I would assume they will end up signing Marner to a shorter deal similar to what they just signed Matthews for. I think over the last 2 years his play and point totals shows he is at least at a similar level to Matthews and Taveras (some could even argue this year he has been the Leafs best player).
Leafs I believe are in trouble in that they are so popular their players tend to get over rated compared to similar level players on other teams. Clearly Tavares took no home town discount, neither did Matthews or Nylander. Leaf fans can hope Marner will but I think his agent is doing a poor job if he signs a contract below Matthews or Taveras level. Marner likely sells more Jerseys than someone like Kucherov who scores more points and that value and extra revenue he brings in will likely bring him extra salary. It probably contributed to Taveras, Matthews and Nylanders high contracts.
I think the Leafs will have a top 4 that will be competitive with any top 4 in the league but I also think they are paying more for this top 4 than other organizations and could hurt future cup runs.
I see Toronto in hockey similar to the New York Yankees who tend to pay more to get players because of the extra publicity associated with playing in New York. The major difference being baseball doesn't have a salary cap but the nhl does.
The Leafs can 100% afford Marner at 12 million....It would just mean we can't afford Nylander at 7. There isn't a scenario where we don't sign Marner even if he is over paid. Other players will move before we trade Marner.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
There's no precedent giving scoring wingers that kind of money coming off their ELC. Even if we take the ole' percentage of the cap comparison, Patty Kane got 11% after scoring 88 points. Today's comparable deal would be 9 million for 5 years. That is, if we think he's as good as Kane is.

Well his production at 21 years old is significantly higher (albeit offense is up this season).

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Except the whole system isn't designed that way. You don't need to pay top $ for an RFA.
Just think, Dubas just signed Tavares to the largest UFA contract ever, then signs Matthews to the 2nd largest RFA contract ever. And Marner has more points than both, and better PPG than both.

And with Point and Rantanen with almost identical stats to Marner, it should be interesting to see what all these kids get.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad