Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don't know. but I don't think Burke would have said what he did on national Sportsnet TV. To me I would never have Ferris represents either of my boys.
Doesn't make much sense to me.
Seems everything leaked is blamed on Ferris yet IMO, all these leaks make Mitch look bad.

Reactions: MyBudJT

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
FWIW on That's hockey yesterday it was reported that as little as 4 and perhaps has many as 6 teams would like to speak to Marner when the courting period open tomorrow.

Wasn't that Dreger, or at least the original report?

Socreges

Oct 10, 2013
Just saw Paul at Starbucks. Decided to ease the tension of negotiations by offering to buy him a tall dark roast.

Told me he'll only accept a Venti size.

Do you mind letting me know which Starbucks location you saw him at? Father wants an opportunity to speak with him and tell him how much us fans appreciate Mitch on the Leafs!
:handclap::handclap:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
So you just pulled it out of ... um ... nowhere, got it. That's what I thought.
Yes it is hearsay talk amoungst some parents but my gut says 10.5M for 7/8 years will happen at some point. I will see Paul in a couple weeks at a BBQ pool party at mutual friends and hopefully everything is resolved by then. Main camp is not far off.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
If you were giving up 4 1st. round picks would you offersheet anything less than 7 years knowing that it cost you those picks.

Since I'll be a Leafs fan with or without every single fricken player on the team, I really want to see an offersheet.

That's where I'm at too.

I believe if you're a team first fan you cant help but be completely annoyed with Marners camp. It doesn't matter if it's his right to explore his options, by exploring them he's indicating he's not a team first guy, a team guy would keep the fight in house - not shout out to the league that he's going to be on a tour to meet all interested parties.

Robin Lehner, as a pending UFA Vezina finalist, made a public statement that he's only interested in being an Islander. With little concern as to what kind of impact that could have on contract negotiations he made his loyalties known. Gotta respect that.

All I know is if Marner is signed I dont want to see any fluff pieces at any point about how special it is to play for the Leafs, or any kind of home town hero narrative. He's Alexei Yashin - only here for the cheque (which is fine).

Reactions: Sypher04

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Doesn't make much sense to me.
Seems everything leaked is blamed on Ferris yet IMO, all these leaks make Mitch look bad.
I agree makes no sense to me either. but why did Burke say it yesterday? He said that Marner's agent Ferris told a Sportsnet staff member that Leafs offered 10M for 8 years. then he said he did not hear it direct. either Burke is a full blow heart BS'er or it occurred. or some Sportsnet insider BSed Burke. either way it is sneaky and not good ethics.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think teams are going to balk at Marner trying to tell them he's worth more than Kucherov per year, while wanting 3 less years, none of which being UFA, but maybe that's just me.

The Matthews comparison doesn't even really work here, but he is free to try it, in other markets they'll squash it fast as how he compares himself to Auston is entirely irrelevant

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
It makes Mitch look bad because it's meant to drive the price up, and put pressure on TOR.

This is nothing new with Ferris.
How does making Mitch look bad drive up the price?

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
That's where I'm at too.

I believe if you're a team first fan you cant help but be completely annoyed with Marners camp. It doesn't matter if it's his right to explore his options, by exploring them he's indicating he's not a team first guy, a team guy would keep the fight in house - not shout out to the league that he's going to be on a tour to meet all interested parties.

Robin Lehner, as a pending UFA Vezina finalist, made a public statement that he's only interested in being an Islander. With little concern as to what kind of impact that could have on contract negotiations he made his loyalties known. Gotta respect that.

All I know is if Marner is signed I dont want to see any fluff pieces at any point about how special it is to play for the Leafs, or any kind of home town hero narrative. He's Alexei Yashin - only here for the cheque (which is fine).

This is some of the biggest hyperbole on this thread. Yashin held out multiple times while under contract. Come on.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yes it is hearsay talk amoungst some parents but my gut says 10.5M for 7/8 years will happen at some point. I will see Paul in a couple weeks at a BBQ pool party at mutual friends and hopefully everything is resolved by then. Main camp is not far off.

That wouldn't surprise me either but that's another subject entirely.

What you said was that if there's an offersheet for 10.6m the Leafs won't match and I stand by what I said - that's just crazy talk.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Based on what we're hearing no. But it's a high value offer in the context of the league wide salary structure, and it actually makes sense for a team cap wise.

10.5 x 5 makes sense comp wise, but would send shockwaves through the league.
11+ x7 gets into heavy comp + shocks the RFA wing market

Those are the offers Marner is banking on, and they're not exactly slam dunks. I think what teams offer and what Marner will sign may be two very different things

Offer sheets are not designed by the nature of the goal to steal a player away successful, concerned about market prices. In fact the CBA even has a specific clause in it that says offer sheet rates are not applicable for NHL comparables for RFA players nor arbitration process.

The last offer sheet was submitted by Philly ... Paul Holmgren, always willing to make a gutsy move, signed Shea Weber to the richest offer sheet in NHL history. 14 years, $110 million [C.H% 13.10] with $80 million of that coming within the first six years of the contract, on July 24th 2012. Nashville matched and kept him.

Shock-waves is the understood outcome of any successful player signed OS, whether that results in a successful steal or a team to match it.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
By saying Mitch Marner is going to visit cities to get offer sheets, that's supposed to put pressure on TOR and Dubas to increase their offer to get a deal done.

etc
Why not just call Dubas and tell him that?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think teams are going to balk at Marner trying to tell them he's worth more than Kucherov per year, while wanting 3 less years, none of which being UFA, but maybe that's just me.

The Matthews comparison doesn't even really work here, but he is free to try it, in other markets they'll squash it fast as how he compares himself to Auston is entirely irrelevant

My thinking is that he comes back to the Leaf with his tail between his legs after he sees the “harsh” reality out there. He will most likely sign for 10x8.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The absolute ceiling for Mitch Marner should be 11M for 8 years.

That's Kucherov's contract + the tax difference (even though I believe it's a tiny factor relative to what people think of it due to jock tax, residencies, etc)

Considering Kucherov is a better player, and a better goal scorer, to me, the 10M x 8 years is right on the money.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
This is some of the biggest hyperbole on this thread. Yashin held out multiple times while under contract. Come on.

Geez, try not to take it so literal, the point was that Yashin only cared about the money, the crest meant nothing to him.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
JUST as an FYI here is an example of Ferris' work (Marners agent). They guys sucks at his job. He threatens with everything imaginable then signs shit contracts for cheap......

9d16b6d2-0309-4a94-bdce-72eec2023a0f.jpg

0e84a780-327b-49ff-b832-4bb1386d392f.jpg

6923e868-868b-42ac-9edd-d7cc5d131af3.jpg

38fdd607-14b2-461f-b305-e4bc3cf24695.jpg

Sam Bennett 2 years 3.39M AAV
Athanasiou 2 years 3M AAV
Josh Anderson 3 years 1.85M AAV

LMAO

So do not freak out Leafs fans. No matter what you hear. This is just how the agent works.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
You know what bugs me? A player squeezes the team for more dough and all should be forgiven after the deal gets done.

What if Dubas was to squeeze Mitch and say hey go solicit offers but if you don't get as good as we are offering -- our offer is going down? This is our best offer next week it won't be that good.

All's fair in negations right? It's just business right? No hard feelings!

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
What would be max in what Leafs would match on an 7 year offer sheet ?

11 AAV ?
11.5 AAV ?

IMO they should not match anything over 11, and at that I think it's way too much, but since the 4 1st doesn't come into effect until 10.6 it's likely the number.

PS. MOD edit .. I corrected your post because 7 years is the max any other team can sign Marner for, as only the Leafs are allowed the 8th year as per CBA.

They factor total money into 5 years even though its a longer term. Even $9M x 6 becomes $10.8M for compensation purposes.The absolute maximum AAV the Leafs have to match is $10,568,590 x 5 to get the four 1sts and the number drops all the way to $7.6M for a 7 year deal.

All draft picks must be from the team that gets the player to sign the offer sheet; selections from other teams cannot be substituted. The maximum denominator used in determining the AAV of the cost is five. If a player signs an offer sheet for a term longer than that, the total value of the contract is divided by five and that number will be used as the AAV for determining draft pick compensation, not the average value of the contract itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad