Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Leafs don’t have their 1st to offer. Even if they did Calgary would match that.

If it's more then 1 first round pick, it doesn't have to be consecutive years. For example if the compensation is 2 firsts and a second, we could use 2021 and 2022 first

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If it's more then 1 first round pick, it doesn't have to be consecutive years. For example if the compensation is 2 firsts and a second, we could use 2021 and 2022 first
I didn’t know you could defer the 1st.
Calgary isn’t letting him go for that return anyway.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
How much is 4 firsts? I hope Dubas holds firm. Love Mitch, but I don't want us to be held hostage.

If it's a choice between Mitch vs 4 first round draft picks + 12 million in cap space to spend, I'm taking the picks.

Would you like to show how the Leafs have 12 million in cap right now?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Definitely dumb as **** to fight with your 4th overall pick over rookie bonuses.

Lou being Lou.

But respect is also a two way street. Flying around on an RFA tour courting an offer sheet on a publicity stunt can also be construed as pretty disrespectful to the organization that's in the process of throwing live bodies and draft picks overboard. Yes, that idiot Dreger is right when he says it's within the rules of the CBA, but how's Marner going to like it if the Leafs invited Laine, Rantanen, Aho, Werenski over for a wine and dine?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
How much is 4 firsts? I hope Dubas holds firm. Love Mitch, but I don't want us to be held hostage.

If it's a choice between Mitch vs 4 first round draft picks + 12 million in cap space to spend, I'm taking the picks.

Let's put it this way, 4 1sts is enough for me not to offersheet somebody like Marner

Image if you pulled an Ottowa? Bloody hell that's franchise killing for a decade

I'm definitely not budging until I see an actual offersheet with Marner's name on it, then I'd make a calculation on what I'd do afterwards, most likely not matching

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
So.. it'll be difficult to convince Marner to take less. What's Dubas going to say? "Oh sorry Mitch, we overpaid Matthews. That was our bad. Don't use that contract as a comparison, it was a mistake. Now sign for under 10m and oh, at more than 5 years, so you'll be ufa at 28-29 ish.?"

"Sorry Mitch, we understand that you have been the best 5v5 goal scorer since you entered the league. Wait...sorry that was Matthews? Well that's ok. You must have right behind him though? What? Oh, turns out he was 15% ahead of anyone else. But surely you were top 10? 112th? Oh ok. But Matthews got play to Tavares so that explains it for him. Really? It was you who played with Tavares. But Tavares must have increased his point totals by a couple dozen going from his terrible linemates on the Island to playing with you, right? Up by 4...and scoring was up this year? Who was it you said you wanted to paid the same as?"

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Let's put it this way, 4 1sts is enough for me not to offersheet somebody like Marner

Image if you pulled an Ottowa? Bloody hell that's franchise killing for a decade

I'm definitely not budging until I see an actual offersheet with Marner's name on it, then I'd make a calculation on what I'd do afterwards, most likely not matching
Too bad there's no star level defenseman on the UFA market. I take the picks and then turn around and use the cap space to fill our biggest needs. I suppose we could turn around and move some of those firsts to acquire a defenseman in trade though.

Last edited:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Perry actually brings something to this team that we desperately need. If we could get him for 2 years at 2.5 million, I don't think there's a single person that could complain about that deal.
I would. A player on an ELC can bring as much or more. Going after Perry for that price wouldn't be smart

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

**** that, 1 year or no thanks

Great, let’s get Marleau back. I mean...

You'd think we would have learned wouldn't you?

Too bad there's no star level defenseman on the UFA market. I take the picks and then turn around and use the cap space to fill our biggest need. I suppose we could turn around and move some of those firsts to acquire a defenseman in trade though.

I'd turn around and offersheet Aho or point, just for the lols

Then i'd smarten up and trade for a defenseman with my assets and cap space like a sane person

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Hopefully Willy K's 5.9 x 8 cap hit will bring Marner's ego down a little.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Too bad there's no star level defenseman on the UFA market. I take the picks and then turn around and use the cap space to fill our biggest need. I suppose we could turn around and move some of those firsts to acquire a defenseman in trade though.

I doubt there is much available on the trade market for just draft picks. Only rebuilding teams would want to trade a stud defenseman for draft picks, and even then that player would have to be someone they don't want to build around for the future. The Senators, Kings, Rangers, and Red Wings are the only teams I think you can say are clearly in full rebuild mode right now. I don't think you're getting Chabot for draft picks. You might get Shattenkirk, Staal, Green, or Martinez.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Perry actually brings something to this team that we desperately need. If we could get him for 2 years at 2.5 million, I don't think there's a single person that could complain about that deal.

Freddie could probably complain when he realizes that the team has no D to play in front of him.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Really?

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

The Leafs have 69.3M in salary commitments (including Johnsson and Kapanen's new deals) + Horton's deal which can go on LTIR. That gives us roughly 12.7 million in cap space over all.

Great, now go to the armchair GM mode and actually try to put together a 22 or 23 man roster. With AJ and KK they are at 17 roster spots accounted for. If you want to play the season with 5 D and 11 F then by all means go ahead.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
"Sorry Mitch, we understand that you have been the best 5v5 goal scorer since you entered the league. Wait...sorry that was Matthews? Well that's ok. You must have right behind him though? What? Oh, turns out he was 15% ahead of anyone else. But surely you were top 10? 112th? Oh ok. But Matthews got play to Tavares so that explains it for him. Really? It was you who played with Tavares. But Tavares must have increased his point totals by a couple dozen going from his terrible linemates on the Island to playing with you, right? Up by 4...and scoring was up this year? Who was it you said you wanted to paid the same as?"

If only matthews could stay on the ice, this argument might matter.

Teams win with real goals, not projected goals. Marner was on the ice for a lot more than matthews. That's worth something.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Great, now go to the armchair GM mode and actually try to put together a 22 or 23 man roster. With AJ and KK they are at 17 roster spots accounted for. If you want to play the season with 5 D and 11 F then by all means go ahead.
:rolleyes: Nice moving the goal posts. You asked incredulously how the Leafs could possibly have 12 million in cap space:
Would you like to show how the Leafs have 12 million in cap right now?
And I showed you:

Our many needs to fill are precisely why I said you couldn't give Marner what he wants (presumably 11.34M). We need to spend some of that money elsewhere, which is why I said if given the option I take the picks and spend the 12M elsewhere. Not sure how that was hard to understand.

Reactions: Alerion

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
:rolleyes: Nice moving the goal posts. You asked incredulously how the Leafs could possibly have 12 million in cap space:

And I showed you.

Our many needs to fill are precisely why I said you couldn't give Marner what he wants (presumably 11.34M). We need to spend some of that money elsewhere, which is why I said if given the option I take the picks and spend the 12M elsewhere. Not sure how that was hard to understand.

That isn't moving the goal posts. Cap space is only real if you can actually spend it. You can't sign a 12 million dollar player without having to shed salary when you actually ice a full roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad