Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
John Tavares scores 37 goals and 84 pts in Long Island without Mitch. With Mitch 47 goals and 88pts. JT scored 10 more goals and only 4 more pts???? and Marner wants 11M ???

based on these stats how can anyone say Marner is the one driving his line??

Marner is great. But not more than 9.5M great. BYE BYE SONNIE!!

JT.png

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
How can you blame marner .with the money thats being tossed around by agents can you blame they guy for wanting whats best for him and his family .as much as i hate seeing these stupid contract being tossed around i can't blame the guy for wanting top dollar

I have always said that if what Marner wants is the most money possible then he should go for that. I hope that it is not the Leafs that sign that contract. And I think the Leafs will be better off without him because they will be able to fill holes.

Reactions: CelticDruid

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
John Tavares scores 37 goals and 84 pts in Long Island without Mitch. With Mitch 47 goals and 88pts. JT scored 10 more goals and only 4 more pts???? and Marner wants 11M ???

JT.png

I'd match anything under 4 1st round picks, above that and I wouldn't match

I'd also wait until an actual offersheet comes in before I'd even bother moving off 9.75M×7, which is my number

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Chart above is pretty encouraging. Go ahead and sign an offer sheet Mitch, but for us, try and make it the worst team you can. Thanks.

Reactions: EN4CER and biotk

Sittler 27

Best fans Anywhere
Jun 12, 2010

I'd also wait until an actual offersheet comes in before I'd even bother moving off 9.75M×7, which is my number
Totally agree

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Matthews signed for 11.6 x 5 years. He's gonna be a free agent at age 26. This is why Mitch Marner hasn't signed yet.

Reactions: MyBudJT

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

JT.png

Yes, and on top of that, scoring was up last year. There are 4 seasons where Tavares had an adjusted point total as high or higher than last season:
(Adjusted points per 82)

2019: 89
2015: 96
2014: 101
2013: 89
2012: 90

(his adjusted goals in 2012/13, 54, were also much higher than last season too)

It was a strong goal scoring season for Tavares, but in terms of points it was about average.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I saw a tweet today form Friedman's most recent 31 thoughts podcast which included this "CJ (Chris Johnston) says that this is really about respect. Rookie bonuses, not getting ice time early in his career."

Is that true? Beats me, but if it is it goes back to what I said early last summer (where I brought up those very issues) and said that Lou was replaced because of the atmosphere he and Babcock created. The big three hate the way they have been treated and they want to compensated for the BS they have put up. Dubas was promoted to clean up the mess and try to get the big three to buy in again, but if they are fed up with Babs and the way Lou ran things they will probably not give an inch and the contracts for the big 3 will be much more expensive than people think they will be.

Lou was a terrible GM. Dubas has been brought in to try to stop the train wreck from occurring, yet he is the one who is going to take the blame (as was the case after the playoffs when Dubas accepted all the blame, and Babcock blamed everyone and everything else for his obvious coaching incompetence).

Yup, let's bring back that country club atmosphere. Can't be forcing these young men into having to follow rules that may be for their development as professionals.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Yup, let's bring back that country club atmosphere. Can't be forcing these young men into having to follow rules that may be for their development as professionals.

Literally my biggest fear and I'd be willing to lose a fantastic player to stomp this out right now and let every player know the team comes first.

Reactions: egd27

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I think you're right but my response would be "So what? We're doing it right this time."

So.. it'll be difficult to convince Marner to take less. What's Dubas going to say? "Oh sorry Mitch, we overpaid Matthews. That was our bad. Don't use that contract as a comparison, it was a mistake. Now sign for under 10m and oh, at more than 5 years, so you'll be ufa at 28-29 ish.?"

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So.. it'll be difficult to convince Marner to take less. What's Dubas going to say? "Oh sorry Mitch, we overpaid Matthews. That was our bad. Don't use that contract as a comparison, it was a mistake. Now sign for under 10m and oh, at more than 5 years, so you'll be ufa at 28-29 ish.?"
No you tell mitch the truth

you ain't matthews

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
"Mitch, we think you're a great player and worthy of being a top 3 paid winger in this league. Were just not in a position to offer you the richest contract in history for a winger. Here's a fair offer based on the comparables around the league"

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
10 teams are missing one of their picks from the first three rounds next draft so aren't eligible for an offersheet (unless its in the four 1sr rounder compensation range, which I don't think any team does).

Probably another ~10 teams simply don't have the capspace.

One team I'm worried about though... Nashville. They have all the required picks, just cleared a ton of capspace, have needed an elite offensive catalyst for pretty much their entire existence, and are a good team (especially with Marner) so the 1st rounders would very likely be in the 20-30 range.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

How much is 4 firsts? I hope Dubas holds firm. Love Mitch, but I don't want us to be held hostage.

If it's a choice between Mitch vs 4 first round draft picks + 12 million in cap space to spend, I'm taking the picks.

Reactions: Faltorvo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If Marner gets a offer sheet that would give us 4 first round picks, I'd have zero problem offer sheeting Tkachuk for 9.5
Leafs don’t have their 1st to offer. Even if they did Calgary would match that.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I saw a tweet today form Friedman's most recent 31 thoughts podcast which included this "CJ (Chris Johnston) says that this is really about respect. Rookie bonuses, not getting ice time early in his career."

Is that true? Beats me, but if it is it goes back to what I said early last summer (where I brought up those very issues) and said that Lou was replaced because of the atmosphere he and Babcock created. The big three hate the way they have been treated and they want to compensated for the BS they have put up. Dubas was promoted to clean up the mess and try to get the big three to buy in again, but if they are fed up with Babs and the way Lou ran things they will probably not give an inch and the contracts for the big 3 will be much more expensive than people think they will be.

Lou was a terrible GM. Dubas has been brought in to try to stop the train wreck from occurring, yet he is the one who is going to take the blame (as was the case after the playoffs when Dubas accepted all the blame, and Babcock blamed everyone and everything else for his obvious coaching incompetence).
Definitely dumb as f*** to fight with your 4th overall pick over rookie bonuses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad