Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Is Dreger related to Marner, or does he have an axe to grind with the Leafs?

Why would the Leafs add a sweetener to a RD with a reasonable contract that they don't have to move?

I heard Dreger on OD this evening too and it sounded like he'd completely lost it...I don't think he's capable of objective journalism anymore...anytime Jamie and Bryan tried to put on another perspective, Dreger just kept peddling and pushing his agenda...he sounds like a rabid dog and I've lost all respect for him...I still like Bob MacKenzie however - he's still reasonable and doesn't ever stir up crap for the sake of it.

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Here's my optimistic theory. There will be no meetings or offer sheets from other teams. There will be no holding out by Mitch. They sign under $10M/per and Paul reminds us how unselfish Mitch was and how badly he's always wanted to be a Leaf.

Wishful thinking?

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
You might want to re-read the conversation. Marner signing at $10.55 million is two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd. The $9.7 million is not what I said Marner would sign for, I said the Leafs currently have that much cap space.

Ok if that's the cap space you have calculated, trade Brown, then its' 11.8.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I think unfortunately we're entering unknown territory.

I'd feel comfortable wagering that Marner won be getting any serious offersheets, which means either he signs a contract more on the Leafs terms or he holds out. If Dubas thinks the relationship between team and player is beyond salvaging I can see a trade potentially happening.

I hope it doesnt come to that though. Still time to get him signed.

Who really knows what will unfold.

In reality I don't know, but I feel strongly that he will be signed at some point and he will get higher than $9.5, everything after that who really knows.

One thing I've maintained from start, I don't believe there will be an offer sheet. I just don't see it. It would be dumb to OS just to screw Leafs and it's crazy to fork over 4 1st in cap era.

Reactions: Menzinger

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think if Marner is out there grinding away and brokering an offer sheet, even if the Leafs match it’s going to be a strained relationship that eventually sees Marner traded for another young gun in a Weber for Subban type deal.

Reactions: Alerion

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Ok if that's the cap space you have calculated, trade Brown, then its' 11.8.

Trading Brown doesn't save $2.1 million, you still need to fill his roster spot with a player making about a million.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Here's my optimistic theory. There will be no meetings or offer sheets from other teams. There will be no holding out by Mitch. They sign under $10M/per and Paul reminds us how unselfish Mitch was and how badly he's always wanted to be a Leaf.

Wishful thinking?

Kind of a tautology?

Optimistic = Wishful
Theory = Thinking.

I'm right there with you though. Here's hoping.

Reactions: BallardEra

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Is Dreger related to Marner, or does he have an axe to grind with the Leafs?

Why would the Leafs add a sweetener to a RD with a reasonable contract that they don't have to move?

Its general media click bait. Do you remember when these a-holes were talking about $14M for Matthews? Where the f*** did that come from? They don't appear to have a f-ing clue as to what is realistic, they just hear something and run around wetting themselves like puppies, yet we know they know better because this shit happens every year. Altho as to the sweetener thing, the Marleau trade shows there is a new normal because Carolina took on Bickell who was done, plus gave back picks for a guy who wasn't worth much more than the picks. You may have to do more for Zaits, who knows? This strikes me as a Dubas over the barrel kind of a deal rather than an amicable one. Too bad the Jackets got the Leafs first because I would be tempted to OS Aho at $10M and let team Marner ride off into the sunset to Az or wherever.

Dreger "Three teams for sure, as many as four interviewing Marner"

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Watch until at least 7:30 or 9:30

Good discussion on the Marner situation.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You may be right, I don't know for sure so I was just going with that basic premise.

Let me put it this way, if he did have such power, he would of had it with Nylander and he lost that battle with the least valuable player of Matthews/Marner.

The rest is history for me. Doesn't mean I can't be wrong, but that's my current optics of Dubas.

I believe he and the rest of management see Tavares and the three kids as vital to our long term success.

I think with both Nylander and matthews, the GM lost the deal. This gives power to agents. I don't think anyone at MLSE wants to see marner go. Especially is they are say at $10.5M x 8 and Marner camp is at $11.6 X 5. I don't see marner budging from the 5 years, but I do think there's a bit of wiggle room on the salary. I can't see MLSE or even the GM signing off on letting marner walk over such a small amount of money per year. Yes, in five years it'll be a much more expensive failure, but the cats already out of the bag with matthews. So he can't rewind history.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Carolina just dumped Calvin De Haan and his $4.55m cap hit to Chi for prospects....$24.6m free now.
Maybe they snagged our 1st rounder because they will be sending us their next 4? Which they have available btw...
The plot thickens.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I fear you are right. I hope they are smarter than that.

It's a bad deal no doubt, but the matthews deal forces the hand. I would rather have marner at say $11.5M x 5 vs 4 1st round picks.

I wish we had taken the $9M X 8 deal that marner offered last summer, but we didn't. The mistake is done, can't go back in time unfortunately.

But I don't blame marner for any of this. Assist man just trying to get paid.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Carolina just dumped Calvin De Haan and his $4.55m cap hit to Chi for prospects....$24.6m free now.
Maybe they snagged our 1st rounder because they will be sending us their next 4? Which they have available btw...
The plot thickens.

A very real possibility.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008

Wishful thinking?
I dont thibk so. I think he signs on wednesday

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This is completely different than the Nylander negotiation.

If Marner was on Nylander's tier... I might be a little more upset. But Marner is a freaking superstar. You work through these aches and pains, to keep him. Its an absolute joke that people are willing to turn on him so quickly. I mean, you can make a legitimate argument that Marner deserves Matthews money.... you can't fault him for trying to get it.
Put Johnsson and Kapanen on Marner's line, and put AM on Matthews line. Then let's talk.

He's nowhere near as good and plays the least important position (winger).

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I believe he and the rest of management see Tavares and the three kids as vital to our long term success.

I think with both Nylander and matthews, the GM lost the deal. This gives power to agents. I don't think anyone at MLSE wants to see marner go. Especially is they are say at $10.5M x 8 and Marner camp is at $11.6 X 5. I don't see marner budging from the 5 years, but I do think there's a bit of wiggle room on the salary. I can't see MLSE or even the GM signing off on letting marner walk over such a small amount of money per year. Yes, in five years it'll be a much more expensive failure, but the cats already out of the bag with matthews. So he can't rewind history.

Which was pretty much my point. The Nylander contract set the table for agents to hold strong knowing at the end Dubas will budge.

That's why I asked that question, if Dubas is to have REAL leverage, his agent/dad/Marner would have to believe Dubas has the guts to trade him. That would be REAL leverage, hence why I asked who believes it.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Put Johnsson and Kapanen on Marner's line, and put AM on Matthews line. Then let's talk.

He's nowhere near as good and plays the least important position (winger).

Marner produced 95 point pace with Kadri and Marleau. Not sure what point you’re trying to make exactly...

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It’s funny there’s a few posters who will defend each and every move Babcock does and any sort of criticism comes from “clueless fans”
There’s one or two in the Marner boat too
There's always a few, for every player who will hate/love everything regardless of reasoning.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Which was pretty much my point. The Nylander contract set the table for agents to hold strong knowing at the end Dubas will budge.

That's why I asked that question, if Dubas is to have REAL leverage, his agent/dad/Marner would have to believe Dubas has the guts to trade him. That would be REAL leverage, hence why I asked who believes it.

I don't think anyone who sees this from all angles thinks it's wise to trade marner.

The Marleau move is proof. If you plan to trade marner for picks, you can keep your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad