Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Marners camp publicly announce they’d be speaking to other teams for offersheets how about you open yours?

What's wrong with that? Seeking out what his value actually is will accelerate the process to him getting a contract and being ready to play come October. Let's not pretend that seeking an offer sheet is some horrible character flaw. Ryan O'Reilly signed an offer sheet. Shea Weber signed an offer sheet. Joe Sakic signed an offer sheet. Keith Tkachuk signed an offer sheet. Teemu Selanne signed an offer sheet. Brendan Shanahan signed an offer sheet.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Of course it is. Funny though you and the rest of the negative nylander posters would be raking him over hot coals if he did it. But “it’s not a big deal” if marner does it. Hilarious the hypocrisy

If Nylander looked for an offer sheet then maybe it wouldn't have taken until December for him to decide to sign. Nice straw man though.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I saw a tweet today form Friedman's most recent 31 thoughts podcast which included this "CJ (Chris Johnston) says that this is really about respect. Rookie bonuses, not getting ice time early in his career."

Is that true? Beats me, but if it is it goes back to what I said early last summer (where I brought up those very issues) and said that Lou was replaced because of the atmosphere he and Babcock created. The big three hate the way they have been treated and they want to compensated for the BS they have put up. Dubas was promoted to clean up the mess and try to get the big three to buy in again, but if they are fed up with Babs and the way Lou ran things they will probably not give an inch and the contracts for the big 3 will be much more expensive than people think they will be.

Lou was a terrible GM. Dubas has been brought in to try to stop the train wreck from occurring, yet he is the one who is going to take the blame (as was the case after the playoffs when Dubas accepted all the blame, and Babcock blamed everyone and everything else for his obvious coaching incompetence).

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Haha Paul and Ferris watching their leverage disappear in front of their eyes. This also implies teams would rather leafs sign marner than have picks and cap space it may be a great secondary option for us. Marner at reasonable if slightly overpaid contract OR 4 1sts and cap space

I think we may have learned something from the other contract negotiations, were effecting there leverage in an intelligent manner this time

Reactions: kb

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Of course it is. Funny though you and the rest of the negative nylander posters would be raking him over hot coals if he did it. But “it’s not a big deal” if marner does it. Hilarious the hypocrisy

What did I say negative about Nylander? That he's a 60 point player? Maybe an 80 point player with prime Matthews?

If being critical of Nylander is being 'negative', then sorry dude. Just being honest.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If Nylander looked for an offer sheet then maybe it wouldn't have taken until December for him to decide to sign. Nice straw man though.

Keep digging man. Anyway you’re boring so I’m out. You’ve established no matter what marner does you are happy for him to do it, I get it he is your favourite and you’ll do anything for him

Reactions: stopclickbait

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
Given what his probable value range is, Marner would have been much better off using the implied threat of an OS as leverage in negotiations rather than actually making it explicit. I expect this a good development for the Leafs one way or another. Good on Dubas for this approach.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Keep digging man. Anyway you’re boring so I’m out. You’ve established no matter what marner does you are happy for him to do it, I get it he is your favourite and you’ll do anything for him

I'm more a fan of Marner than I am of the Leafs at this point, and I'll be a fan of any team Marner ends up on.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Haha Paul and Ferris watching their leverage disappear in front of their eyes. This also implies teams would rather leafs sign marner than have picks and cap space it may be a great secondary option for us. Marner at reasonable if slightly overpaid contract OR 4 1sts and cap space

Only a threat if a bad team is after marner. More likely it's a middle of the road team who will then be better with marner. For example, I don't think the Sens are after marner.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

I was thinking about this.

Other GM's should be careful participating in this practice. If they were smart, they would make sure this doesn't go well for Marner. Other teams will all be having RFA's come due and I'm sure they don't want to have to put up with this.

They should submit a few OS's for $6M and $7M and kill Marner's value. If his value goes down so does all the other RFA's currently renewing and future RFA's.

This is, of course, tongue and cheek. I am fairly sure this practice is illegal and could be considered price-fixing or unfair trade practice.

Reactions: Menzinger

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Only a threat if a bad team is after marner. More likely it's a middle of the road team who will then be better with marner. For example, I don't think the Sens are after marner.

Nashville, if they don't get Panarin or Duchene, will be calling Marner.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
For people who think the leafs are in a position of power. Why burn a second 1st round pick in a row to free up cap space if you're not going to sign marner?

Why not just keep Marleau another year, and then use the cap space next year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
:thumbu::thumbu:

I like this idea a LOT. In fact, I'd consider making it either 7-8 or 1-2, you decide Mitch. The thing is, the kid's asking for such a ridiculous amount of money that there is almost no risk at all in the Leafs doing a 1-2 year term.
"Mitch, meet your 2 new linemates. Riley Sheahan and Connor Brown. Let's negotiate now" :laugh:

Reactions: stopclickbait

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I was thinking about this.

Other GM's should be careful participating in this practice. If they were smart, they would make sure this doesn't go well for Marner. Other teams will all be having RFA's come due and I'm sure they don't want to have to put up with this.

They should submit a few OS's for $6M and $7M and kill Marner's value. If his value goes down so does all the other RFA's currently renewing and future RFA's.

This is, of course, tongue and cheek. I am fairly sure this practice is illegal and could be considered price-fixing or unfair trade practice.

Sounds like collusion.

There are 31 teams and only one parade. Makes for a competitive environment. Just takes one GM to put in an offer.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Haha earned leeway. Just admit you are a marner fan not a leaf fan. Marner is better than nylander but earning leeway isn’t a thing.

Seems like you’d let a hot girl cheat on you just because she is hot.
after July 1st the Leafs and Marner are on a break , :wg:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad