Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Would anyone actually be willing to pay $10m+ for 5yrs+ and 4 firsts? Like I'm not asking rhetorically, but is this even in the realm of possibility?

If you're willing to expend that much, you're probably considering many options at least.

I seriously doubt he's getting offersheets, the team looking to get him would be way better off doing a trade with us rather than handing out an offersheet with enough value to get him to sign it

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is completely different than the Nylander negotiation.

If Marner was on Nylander's tier... I might be a little more upset. But Marner is a freaking superstar. You work through these aches and pains, to keep him. Its an absolute joke that people are willing to turn on him so quickly. I mean, you can make a legitimate argument that Marner deserves Matthews money.... you can't fault him for trying to get it.

So you employ a double standard? :laugh:
That's just great

There is no world where Marner deserves Matthews horrendous contract and I'll be nice when his team shut there mouths to the media, even Nylander didn't pull that ****

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
So you employ a double standard? :laugh:
That's just great

There is no world where Marner deserves Matthews horrendous contract and I'll be nice when his team shut there mouths to the media, even Nylander didn't pull that ****

Sure, if you want to call it a double standard, go ahead.

But yes, Marner and Nylander should be held at two different standards. At least until Marner starts actually holding out on the team, and decides he doesn't want to show up to training camp.

I think you're forgetting that there was very little Nylander criticism until it was clear he wasn't coming to training camp. (Edit: At which point he was still asking for 8.5M)

I agree with you on your last statement on Matthews. I should have phrased it as "You can make a legitimate argument that Marner should be paid similar money to Matthews" in that they are on the same tier of player.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Just wonder what a realistic return looks like for you guys if he's dealt. Not going to get a civil discussion about his true value on the main boards.

Well, he's likely only getting traded if he's getting over 10.56, because that's probably around the highest salary the Leafs want him at, and it's the threshold for four first round picks as compensation for an offer sheet. If another team wants to sign him for less than that, the Leafs simply match, keep him, and are happy. If a team will pay Marner over that, then a trade would have to be at least four first round picks worth of stuff, because otherwise the Leafs will just take the OS compensation.

IMO, he ain't leaving. It's just too costly for another team to get their hands on him.

Reactions: dsred

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Well, he's likely only getting traded if he's getting over 10.56, because that's probably around the highest salary the Leafs want him at, and it's the threshold for four first round picks as compensation for an offer sheet. If another team wants to sign him for less than that, the Leafs simply match, keep him, and are happy. If a team will pay Marner over that, then it's gotta be at least four first round picks worth of stuff, because otherwise the Leafs will just take the OS compensation.

Yeah but you're saying this like you have a guaranteed OS in the bank when you guys don't. If he doesn't sign and there's no OS present, you're telling me the Leafs let him sit all season? Not a chance.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
oh no, will paul be able to swallow his pride and accept they over valued and overplayed their hand? I think not, Paul is getting prepped to sit out training camp I bet, Mitch doesn't get a say because this is Daddy's dream and he will let nothing like having no hockey talent himself get in his way.
I have dad blocked so this must be infuriating for him to read. But if daddy is here, just let your son think for himself for once. It's not about you, or your son. This is the Toronto Maple Leafs fan board.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
When Marner flies out to Europe and doesn't fly back to North America until the last week of November, then we can say he's being worse than Nylander.

You now have a problem with where the players home is? Marner is at home just like nylander was.

Reactions: kb

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
LOL...he's not and nowhere close. With or without Marner, the Leafs will move on...without his cap hit, the Leafs could solidify their defense and probably be a better all-around team.

Leonard took the Raptors to a Championship title...can't say the same for Marner...how many first round exits now with Marner in the line-up?

Notice I never said who was the better player. Not everything is black and white.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Yeah but you're saying this like you have a guaranteed OS in the bank when you guys don't. If he doesn't sign and there's no OS present, you're telling me the Leafs let him sit all season? Not a chance.

Well, no, I don't think he's even going to get an offer sheet, because I honestly can't imagine any team giving up four unprotected first rounders so they can give him 11+ million dollars. If nobody will pay him that much, then he loses that bargaining power and I believe the Leafs are comfortable with something around 10-10.5 anyway, so I'm pretty confident a deal gets done. Unless one of the parties involved has big ideas I'm not aware of.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Maybe mlse understands there isn't enough cap space for a team to have 3 "meal tickets". The leafs already have Matthews and Tavares.

Winning rounds in the playoffs with a balanced team is more of a "meal ticket" than overpayment of a 3rd wheel.

Then why did the GM say of the three young guns that all would be signed? Why did he say as recently as the end of the season that Marner signed was the top priority. What kind of credibility would he have if he went to the board and said now marner isn't a key part of the future over $1M. If he did that he should be fired on the spot.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
I'd be OK with Marner getting $10M/YR for 8 years --- but not a dime more.

I have a feeling that his agent wants 10M/YR for 5 years. No way!!

Reactions: kb and Menzinger

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Ok but why does marner have to leave North America to go that in order to be like nylander? He would just go home to markham

I'm sure Nylander has a home in Toronto, he could have shown good faith and at least been in the same continent to negotiate his contract and train with the team. He made his GM fly to Europe in order to talk to him while the regular season was being played. He could have been ready to play hockey, but instead he put up an absolute abortion of a season and at times looked like he didn't even want to play hockey for a profession. Strange how he seemed to care about hockey a lot more when he took off the blue and white and put on the blue and gold.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Then why did the GM say of the three young guns that all would be signed? Why did he say as recently as the end of the season that Marner signed was the top priority. What kind of credibility would he have if he went to the board and said now marner isn't a key part of the future over $1M. If he did that he should be fired on the spot.
Because Dubas is an inexperienced rookie who has absolutely no idea what he's doing.

But in the question of, "will mlse step in to sign a 3rd wheel meal ticket", my answer is that there is no way in hell.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Sure, if you want to call it a double standard, go ahead.

But yes, Marner and Nylander should be held at two different standards. At least until Marner starts actually holding out on the team, and decides he doesn't want to show up to training camp.

I think you're forgetting that there was very little Nylander criticism until it was clear he wasn't coming to training camp. (Edit: At which point he was still asking for 8.5M)

I agree with you on your last statement on Matthews. I should have phrased it as "You can make a legitimate argument that Marner should be paid similar money to Matthews" in that they are on the same tier of player.

It is, so I will thanks

No, just no, if Nylander had his team doing this crap I would have been going crazy at him as well, it's unproductive and is extremely decisive

There wasn't the same issues with Nylander at this time in negotiations because his team wasn't pulling this crap, in fact they never behaved like this in the public arena at any point in negotiations

There not, Matthews is a unicorn
Franchise level centers don't score goals at this rate 5v5 this early in guys careers in the modern game, they just dont

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I'm sure Nylander has a home in Toronto, he could have shown good faith and at least been in the same continent to negotiate his contract and train with the team. He made his GM fly to Europe in order to talk to him while the regular season was being played. He could have been ready to play hockey, but instead he put up an absolute abortion of a season and at times looked like he didn't even want to play hockey for a profession. Strange how he seemed to care about hockey a lot more when he took off the blue and white and put on the blue and gold.

Ok so marner has to leave NA and stay there until late November in order for you to see this as the same as nylander? You’ve set an impossible situation so you can tell yourself “it’s not that bad nylander wasn’t in NA” whatever floats your boat man

Last edited:

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It is, so I will thanks

No, just no, if Nylander had his team doing this crap I would have been going crazy at him as well, it's unproductive and is extremely decisive

There wasn't the same issues with Nylander at this time in negotiations because his team wasn't pulling this crap, in fact they never behaved like this in the public arena at any point in negotiations

There not, Matthews is a unicorn
Franchise level centers don't score goals at this rate 5v5 this early in guys careers in the modern game, they just dont

There wasn't the same issues with Nylander at this time in negotiations because he isn't nearly as good as Mitch Marner.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Ok so marner has to leave NA and stay there until late November in order for you to see this as the same as nylander? You’ve set an impossible situation so you can tell yourself “it’s not that bad nylander wasn’t in NA” whatever floats your boy man

William Nylander held out until December 1st. It is currently June 24th.

Open your f***ing eyes.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Dubas deciding to spend all of his cap space before negotiating a deal with Marner is not Marner's fault, that's all on Dubas. It is not a player's responsibility to manage their team's salary cap.
Matthews got his done. Got it over with and out of the way. No threats, team wanted to know where they sat cap wise with him, didn't say "I won't negotiate during the season" like Marner...pretty painless. Kapanen and Johnsson did verbals with Dubas to let him know they're commited and not signing offer sheets, and give him a sense of where he is at financially. This whole thing seems like Marner being whiney to me and trying to stick it to the Leafs. Apparently asked for 9 million last year based on career highs that hadn't hit 70pts or more than 25G in a year. Then openly said wouldn't talk contract at all during the year. Then his dad drops this Mitch should be captain stuff. And he's mad about his ELC bonuses too. This just already seems like a damaged relationship. Marner shouldn't be that hostile towards his organization, and if he is the damage has already been done

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad