Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
From Marner's perspective Dubas has told Marner he is the least important player on the team since he is willing to leave no room for him. Respect goes both ways. Marner is getting zero respect for leading this team in points for the past two years, and his supposed home town fans are treating him horribly for the pleasure. It's no wonder that up until JT no one wanted to play for the Leafs, and we'll see how much he likes being a Leaf after the reason he joined the team gets traded and Dubas breaks his promise.

1) Are you certain you're speaking on behalf of Marner's perspective? Or are you speaking to your belief of what Marner's perspective (on Dubas) is?
2) Do you believe compensation ranges from $8.5M to $10.5M is disrespectful?

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
His teams behavior during these negotiations and leaking to the media is already rediculous

The day his father talked in the media his side did something wrong
The day his manager ***** about Matthews contract they did something wrong
When they started leaking to the media they did something wrong

Ferris on Matthews' contract:

"Nobody else is taking a discount. And now you're asking (Marner) to take one again? It's nonsense, Mitch already did them a favor on the entry-level deal."

And he isn't wrong. None of Nylander, Matthews, Kapanen or Johnsson have taken a discount on their contract. For context, Mitch agreed to $9 million for 8 years and the Leafs said no, that's too expensive.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
It's funny how a lot of the same people who were going crazy about Nylander and his diva like qualities are so understand of Marner doing something that makes Nylander's negotiating tactics look like happy play time

I love Marner but this is complete bull**** and if he gets traded out of town its nobody's fault but his own, I'm disguised by the negotiating tactics currently being used by his side and i hope we don't give in

If he wants out that bad so be it
Agreed. There's no reason to treat Marner or Nylander differently. Well maybe treating Nylander better since he didn't openly negotiate through the media or seek out offer sheets. Marner can certainly do anything he's allowed to. But that doesn't mean his reputation won't end up being dragged through the mud as a result. Being able to do something and people being fine with it are different things. He could sign an offer sheet and that's allowed. Doesn't mean he wouldn't get traded once the Leafs were allowed to do so and wouldn't mean he'd avoid hearing about people's displeasure. There are things you can do legally that people would frown on and consider socially unacceptable. If the best defence Marner has is "well he's allowed to" then there really isn't much else to defend his position with.

If Marner ends up on another team that's on him. He allowed this situation to reach this point. If his ego can't take being paid less than Matthews then he can go and be overpaid somewhere else. His negotiation tactics have been disgusting. It's really too bad his whole group hasn't been able to even show the class Nylander did. I hate that Nylander held out. But I also hate how Marner has allowed his side to operate. And it is his fault. Either for inaction or by giving the confirmation for his agent to do everything he has done.

"Nobody else is taking a discount. And now you're asking (Marner) to take one again? It's nonsense, Mitch already did them a favor on the entry-level deal."

And he isn't wrong. None of Nylander, Matthews, Kapanen or Johnsson have taken a discount on their contract.
10 million per year over 8 years isn't asking Marner to take a discount. It is asking Marner not to be a greedy idiot. That is already a massive overpay for Marner. And I'm sorry for Marner if asking him to have any shred of sense is insulting to him.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
No GM is giving up 4 first rounders for a winger, even one as good as Mitch.

And I can’t see him signing an offer sheet for 10.5 or less.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

$10.5 or less we match there is no losing here for the leafs. If the compensation is 4x1sts it’s likely too expensive for us to match if it’s under the offersheet just negotiated for us

Reactions: supermann_98

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Agreed. There's no reason to treat Marner or Nylander differently. Well maybe treating Nylander better since he didn't openly negotiate through the media or seek out offer sheets. Marner can certainly do anything he's allowed to. But that doesn't mean his reputation won't end up being dragged through the mud as a result. Being able to do something and people being fine with it are different things. He could sign an offer sheet and that's allowed. Doesn't mean he wouldn't get traded once the Leafs were allowed to do so and wouldn't mean he'd avoid hearing about people's displeasure. There are things you can do legally that people would frown on and consider socially unacceptable. If the best defence Marner has is "well he's allowed to" then there really isn't much else to defend his position with.

If Marner ends up on another team that's on him. He allowed this situation to reach this point. If his ego can't take being paid less than Matthews then he can go and be overpaid somewhere else. His negotiation tactics have been disgusting. It's really too bad his whole group hasn't been able to even show the class Nylander did. I hate that Nylander held out. But I also hate how Marner has allowed his side to operate. And it is his fault. Either for inaction or by giving the confirmation for his agent to do everything he has done.

10 million per year over 8 years isn't asking Marner to take a discount. It is asking Marner not to be a greedy idiot. That is already a massive overpay for Marner. And I'm sorry for Marner if asking him to have any shred of sense is insulting to him.

Yep. This disrespectful angle they are playing looks incredibly stupid

Reactions: kb

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Marner can wait 160 more days and still sign sooner than Nylander did.

You think he's going to magically get a whole lot more money than what the Leafs are able to pay him if he waits until Dec? If he didn't learn from what Willy went through, then he's pretty dumb.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada

And he isn't wrong. None of Nylander, Matthews, Kapanen or Johnsson have taken a discount on their contract. For context, Mitch agreed to $9 million for 8 years and the Leafs said no, that's too expensive.

Where is this they wanted 9x8 but the Leafs said no?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Dubas deciding to spend all of his cap space before negotiating a deal with Marner is not Marner's fault, that's all on Dubas. It is not a player's responsibility to manage their team's salary cap.
It's not a gm's responsibility to give an rfa winger the highest most unprecedented contract of the entire cap era either.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
But also is apparently going to go out and start trying to solicit offer sheets. That doesn’t count as a dick move? Pretty funny how much you trying to play down marners strategy here

Just because you didn't hear about Nylander's agent calling other teams doesn't mean it didn't happen. RFAs talk to other teams all the time. You have no idea how many offer sheets get made but aren't signed by the player, you only hear about the ones that actually get signed.

Reactions: dsred

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If I am Dubas, I would tell Marners camp you have until 12 noon on July 1st to accept our offer. If you dont, sit beside your phone because we will rescind our offer and you will be traded.

And he will say okay go for it

MLSE ownership will quickly call LT and tell him to sort this out. LT will call a meeting with Shanny. Shanny will tell the GM he needs to make a deal and a deal will be done.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

MLSE ownership will quickly call LT and tell him to sort this out. LT will call a meeting with Shanny. Shanny will tell the GM he needs to make a deal and a deal will be done.

Is Marner Kawhi Leonard?

Reactions: Menzinger

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Where is this they wanted 9x8 but the Leafs said no?

$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

“Many people talking, suggesting maybe the best chance to sign him on a long-term deal, Ron, would have been in the summer,” Nick Kypreos told Ron MacLean Saturday during the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada. “The discussion point was around $72 million prior to the season and my understanding is it was too rich for the Toronto Maple Leafs.”

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

If mlse are this involved how isn’t marner signed yet? Obviously according to you they don’t care about negotiating why hasn’t this call been made yet?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Just because you didn't hear about Nylander's agent calling other teams doesn't mean it didn't happen. RFAs talk to other teams all the time. You have no idea how many offer sheets get made but aren't signed by the player, you only hear about the ones that actually get signed.

Marners camp are clearly feeding dreger and they said they are going to check out the offersheets. Nylanders camp never openly said this

Reactions: kb

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

“Many people talking, suggesting maybe the best chance to sign him on a long-term deal, Ron, would have been in the summer,” Nick Kypreos told Ron MacLean Saturday during the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada. “The discussion point was around $72 million prior to the season and my understanding is it was too rich for the Toronto Maple Leafs.”

I don’t buy it and keep hearing he was betting on himself, and why wouldn’t he given their lineup

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

For a start saying that on the radio is horrendous, saying it about other teammates contracts is downright disgusting

Nylander, Kapanen and Johnsson's contracts aren't beyond the realms of there comparables and Matthews contract is disgusting by any metric

The 9M by 8 years was before the season started and that was bloody bad enough but we've also heard he wants Matthews contract in recent months

Give me a comparable of a wing straight out of his ECL getting 10M, it's going to be a tough slog

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

I'd like to know why message board hockey fans think wingers who have 110 point potential are worthless.

Muzzin was acquired for essentially the equivalent of two firsts. Would you trade two Muzzins plus say another first for marner? I would, every day of the week.

If I were a contender I would trade five 1sts without hesitation for Marner.

Skill is hard to come by. Remember that. It's a valuable lesson.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
His teams behavior during these negotiations and leaking to the media is already rediculous

The day his father talked in the media his side did something wrong
The day his manager ***** about Matthews contract they did something wrong
When they started leaking to the media they did something wrong

Humour me, how exactly is it 'ridiculous'? Is what they're doing effective? Will it cause us to give Marner any different of a contract? How does it concern you, or anyone else?

The way I see it, this talking to the public stuff hasn't worked to Marner's advantage at all. It won't really help him get a better contract... So Marner's dad and agent can keep doing whatever they want to do... it likely won't influence the contract negotiations one bit.

Spot on. It’s hilarious the back tracking without even realizing they are back tracking

Who is back tracking, and what are they back tracking about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay