Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Everybody should read his post history. Especially the part about his advanced eyeball stats showing Rielly is a #6 defenceman that we'd need to pay another team to take from us.

LMAO. I think that narrative has changed a few times, I also seem to recall him saying that there's only about 6 true #1Dmen in the NHL and the rest are "interchangeable".

His entire post history would take too long but a selection of his "greatest hits" would be a cool sticky, a sort of suggestion of how not to post. I'd be surprised if there were more than a small handful of people who could read more than a dozen of his "hits" without falling off their chairs laughing. :)

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
LMAO. I think that narrative has changed a few times, I also seem to recall him saying that there's only about 6 true #1Dmen in the NHL and the rest are "interchangeable".

His entire post history would take too long but a selection of his "greatest hits" would be a cool sticky, a sort of suggestion of how not to post. I'd be surprised if there were more than a small handful of people who could read more than a dozen of his "hits" without falling off their chairs laughing. :)

Funny how I know who you are talking about, even though you didn't mention their name, and they went on my ignore list long ago.

It's weird how someone can be so loud and so wrong on virtually all of their hot takes, all the time, and have it yield zero humility.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Funny how I know who you are talking about, even though you didn't mention their name, and they went on my ignore list long ago.

That is indeed hilarious. :laugh::laugh:

I totally get why you have him on ignore and I've been tempted to do the same but sometimes, the laughs provided by his posts are just so good. And yes, today is definitely one of those days (or maybe I'm just having a slow day, that's probably a part of it too).

Reactions: stopclickbait

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
LeBrun Notebook: Pavelski visiting teams this week, latest...
One way or another we’re heading for a rather dramatic week on the Mitch Marner front. As I tweeted on Saturday, which caused some consternation in Leafs Nation, the Marner camp expects to hear from a few teams come Wednesday when the RFA speaking period opens. The Maple Leafs know this and are ready for anything. Leafs GM Kyle Dubas raised eyebrows Thursday in Vancouver when he told reporters he may not necessarily match an offer sheet to Marner, that maybe he would take the picks. That might have been designed to startle Marner a bit, make him realize that there’s an actual chance he won’t be a Maple Leaf if this doesn’t get resolved, or maybe Dubas was simply stating the truth given his cap situation.

But I also think part of why some teams will come calling Wednesday if Marner still hasn’t re-signed with the Leafs is that they want to know officially from agent Darren Ferris what it would take to get in the ball game contract-wise. And here’s where this thing could go a few different ways: I do think some teams, if they think they can sign Marner, would prefer trading for his rights rather than going the offer sheet route (as an aside, as of Saturday no team had made the Leafs a trade offer for Marner). Think of how former Leafs GM Brian Burke acquired Phil Kessel from Boston. He threatened the Bruins with an offer sheet before getting him the natural way via trade instead. It could be that the Leafs and another team find more common ground on a traditional trade for Marner rather than the offer sheet route.

I also have to think that the Leafs give it another shot in signing Marner over the next few days, put something in front of his camp again that makes them think. I spoke this weekend with one rival agent who has nothing to do with any of this. He thinks the magic contract figure is six years with a $10-million AAV. It’s a bit more than the Leafs probably want to go, less than what the Marner camp probably wants, but still pays him more than the Hart Trophy winner in Nikita Kucherov ($9.5 million) and also term-wise gets him off the same cycle as Auston Matthews’ five-year deal which is a good thing for Toronto. The Leafs no doubt would rather go seven or eight years with Marner, but again, this is about compromise. Will we see compromise from either side this week?

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I've said it before, but leaking the intention to go the OS route was a seriously dumb play. It's a an all or nothing gamble on another team being willing to offer what they want, because if no one does there's nowhere left to go other than accepting what the Leafs offer. You can't hold out after saying "you're not offering enough, I'm worth more to the league" and having the league turn you down without coming off undeniably greedy & petulant.
I like Marner however I'm of the opinion it's very unlikely anyone would offer sheet him. In the very rare event an offer sheet is tendered it would no doubt be at $10.568 x 5 or less (because no one is giving up 4 1sts) which if I'm Dubas I match.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
That’s not what my post says. Ryan oreilly agreed an offersheets but didn’t go around soliciting offersheets

You have no idea what goes on behind closed doors. If the guy signed an offer sheet then he was for sure in talks with multiple teams. Just because Dreger is running his mouth about Marner doesn't mean that the other guys who actually signed offer sheets didn't do the exact same thing. If those players played in Toronto you might have heard about it.

Toronto really is the worst place to play in the NHL when it comes to the media and the fans. Marner is being vilified and is 3 months away from missing an NHL game, but he is already more hated than Nylander to the point where people are running full blown hate campaigns about his dad on TV. If Marner came out and asked for a trade I wouldn't blame him, it's Reimer all over again. People are talking about running his family out of town and how they hope he has a career ending injury and he hasn't missed a single game yet. Absolutely crazy.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Lool without even reading any of the prior conversation I already know your talking about Cynick. One of the 4 people I've used ignore function on. His takes were a worse version of TWS who is notorious for his hypocritical takes on all things leafs related.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Chris Johnston on today's 31 thoughts podcast says the only other RFAs in nhl history who openly called around teams seeking offersheets were Weber and Evander Kane (apparently the Leafs themselves did research on this during their negotiation prep for Marner).

So Marner will be in very unique company if he does this

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

It's weird how someone can be so loud and so wrong on virtually all of their hot takes, all the time, and have it yield zero humility.

I was gonna post this exact same comment. Lol

Reactions: stopclickbait

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
if he wont take a 6-8 year term offer him no more then a 1-2 year bridge. its in his court. if they have indeed offerered him 10x 8 it would have him above kuch. which I cant see how it would be considered a low ball offer. Mathews 2 comparables were Mcdavid and Eichel. I don't think many people thought he was going to be closer to to Eichel then Mcdavid. would have been nice but not very likely

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
if he wont take a 6-8 year term offer him no more then a 1-2 year bridge. its in his court. if they have indeed offerered him 10x 8 it would have him above kuch. which I cant see how it would be considered a low ball offer. Mathews 2 comparables were Mcdavid and Eichel. I don't think many people thought he was going to be closer to to Eichel then Mcdavid. would have been nice but not very likely

:thumbu::thumbu:

I like this idea a LOT. In fact, I'd consider making it either 7-8 or 1-2, you decide Mitch. The thing is, the kid's asking for such a ridiculous amount of money that there is almost no risk at all in the Leafs doing a 1-2 year term.

Reactions: kb and The MoNaRcH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad