Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
It was reported Nylander wasn't budging from $8.5m. It was discussed by both parties and the media that Nylander party called Dubas in the final stretch. Nylander signed for $7m.

Yet, it's still considered by some that it is Dubas who caved. This just doesn't have any legs to it.

But that's specious. Just because Nylander was reportedly the one who called Dubas and agreed to come down from his own completely unrealistic ask does not mean Dubas didn't cave. What matters re: caving is where Dubas wanted to be (for cap considerations etc.) versus where he ended up.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I bet they’re lowballing him because of going public with the offer sheets.

I think they essentially do not see him getting what he’s expecting through offer sheets and probably think he’s only using that to bump their offer.

Reactions: Eric bungay

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Totally agree, but I believe Nylander wanted 8, and technically Nylander signed for the equivalence of 7.5 mill, which was just cut down to 7 mill after the holdout thing.

Happy to agree to disagree here but I don't buy into the "7.5" number because:

a) 7 is the only number that the leafs care about (cap hit)
b) 7 is the only number that Nylander cares about (average annual salary)
c) I don't think either the Leafs nor Nylander think of October / November as a beneficial vacation time for Nylander

They signed with 7 in mind, not 7.5 IMO.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
But that's specious. Just because Nylander was reportedly the one who called Dubas and agreed to come down from his own completely unrealistic ask does not mean Dubas didn't cave. What matters re: caving is where Dubas wanted to be (for cap considerations etc.) versus where he ended up.

Don't think Dubas would have signed a contract he didn't want to sign. Doesn't seem like that kind of guy.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
You may have missed it, reports showing that both those guys are basically already locked up.
I saw the report. I saw the term and dollar. but nothings official and Iv heard it wont be until the Marner fiasco is over.

if Marner visits other teams on the 26th. make the Kap & AJ signings official and start talking trades.
going to really suck seeing Marner leave, but is it really worth having him at Matthews money, being the highest paid winger in the league. nothing to show for it too.

Reactions: Eric bungay and kb

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
That would mean that most parties involved in contract negotiations cave though. Almost nobody end up where they wanted to be.

Reactions: Mitchy

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
What strange hatred for a random person.

It's weird how personal some of you take a negotiation.

Were you upset when the GM backed Shanny in a corner for more money and a promotion? Did you get fired up and start insulting his Dad??

Its funny how little self awareness you have.

You're hatred for dubas is because you know him right?

Reactions: stopclickbait

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't even recall the last time I used that term. If you equate young to me insulting him, well that's on you Pal, not me.

I don't know if you have ever responded to one of my posts before, but I'm very careful with the words I choose. I prefer to just lay out facts. If people think the facts equate to him being a terrible GM, then so be it. But I've never used the term young to standalone as an insult.

This is gold. Pure gold.

You refer to him as the young GM all the time, in fact even in the post that I just quoted you called him young.

Well, at least we have the answer to whether or not you possess any self-awareness or not.

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

You simply can not make this stuff up.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I don't remember last year ever being as annoyed at Nylander as I am with Marner. There was no Nylander talk of visiting other teams to see what leverage he could get, and there was no talk of wanting to compare himself to goal scoring Centers. Nylander was always rumoured to have the negotiations between 6mil and 8 mil. And was always compared to Ehlers, Pasternak etc. I was bummed there was a holdout, but never ticked off by it. Marner has me ticked off. If I'm the Leafs I just wait on it. He's going to look silly when Rantanen and Point come in at 9-10 per long term. Both of whom put the puck in the back of the net more than Marner. Goals have always been worth more despite the nay sayers. You can get secondary assists by almost total accident, I've never seen a secondary goal handed out yet

Teams visit Mitch Marner, Mitch Marner doesn't visit teams

don't believe the chief peckerhead and his tweeter idiocy, I have been calling Dreger out since his first tweet and holier then though attitude for years. While all the LeaFlander's bowed in reverent humility to his aloof insiderness, I always stated he was chock full of horsepuckey and nothing has changed with him. I'm just glad most of that has been seemingly changed for the LeaFlanders

I was all for trading Nylander by early Oct and after the debacle of his play following his signing, I am more so now then ever. He lied to the media about promises made, he lied to the Leafs about being in game shape, and his play took a huge step backward, I am no longer willing to trust the guy

Reactions: dsred and Al14

Shayne Corsi

Oct 17, 2017
That would mean that most parties involved in contract negotiations cave though. Almost nobody end up where they wanted to be.

I never indicated that "where he wanted to be" was equivalent to "where he started / what his ideal number would be" ... based on comparable contracts and reports that were coming out at the time, it seems 6.5mm or thereabouts was the target compromise. And that it was a combination of Nylander's grossly unrealistic position and pressure to get him on the ice that eventually resulted in a contract that most pundits felt was the bad result of a bad negotiation.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Teams visit Mitch Marner, Mitch Marner doesn't visit teams

don't believe the chief peckerhead and his tweeter idiocy, I have been calling Dreger out since his first tweet and holier then though attitude for years. While all the LeaFlander's bowed in reverent humility to his aloof insiderness, I always stated he was chock full of horsepuckey and nothing has changed with him. I'm just glad most of that has been seemingly changed for the LeaFlanders

I was all for trading Nylander by early Oct and after the debacle of his play following his signing, I am more so now then ever. He lied to the media about promises made, he lied to the Leafs about being in game shape, and his play took a huge step backward, I am no longer willing to trust the guy

no one is visiting marner. They will call his agent this isn't like JT as a UFA where Marner sits in a room hearing pitches. I wish they did do this though itd be hilarious when no one shows up

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not at all. I said not a done over pasta money from the beginning. If he was asking for 8.5.... That's all I would've needed to hear to know he's not pay off the plan.

I know it's easier to make a call like that from my arm chair.... But turns out I was right. He's be worth more now unsigned in the trade market. Nobody touching him with a 10 for pole unless we eat it hard.

It was all so predictable. That's what frustrates me

You've strung together a bunch of words here that make no sense at all and declare that you're "right"

LMAO.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Has Marner or the Agent been quoted of this OS intention?
I was always under the impression it was a "belief".

I agree it's not a good look if it did come from them.

I think it definitely is one of those "beliefs" in that if he passes the threshold he's probably going to be contacted at some point by some other teams. It's just Dreger once again using the obvious to declare himself king.

Dubas has said from the beginning he'd match, now that the numbskulls in the media have cooked up this fiction that Mitch want's to paid like Matthews, Dubas has said directly to the media that he has a limit and that limit may be in allowing the Leafs to pick up XX number of dollars in cap and 4st's

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Define know him?

you said weird to "hate" some random person, you hate dubas aside from him being GM of the leafs he is a random person to you.

edit: here comes the post where backed into a corner you spout some crap like you crossed paths in the ohl. spare me

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
You've only done it a hundred times probably. But of course, you "don't recall". :laugh::laugh:

Not sure if you are new here or not, but I would recommend reading all my posts.

I said it's been a long time since I used the term young GM. Not that I never used the term. Also not that I've never referred to him as young, because he is young! I am also refuting that I used the term young GM to insult him. It was always just to factually describe him. If people take that as an insult, i can't control that.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
Colorado in on Panarin and Zuccarello now? No way Mitch is getting an offer sheet.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't even recall the last time I used that term. If you equate young to me insulting him, well that's on you Pal, not me.

I don't know if you have ever responded to one of my posts before, but I'm very careful with the words I choose. I prefer to just lay out facts. If people think the facts equate to him being a terrible GM, then so be it. But I've never used the term young to standalone as an insult.

Not sure if you are new here or not, but I would recommend reading all my posts.

I said it's been a long time since I used the term young GM. Not that I never used the term. Also not that I've never referred to him as young, because he is young! I am also refuting that I used the term young GM to insult him. It was always just to factually describe him. If people take that as an insult, i can't control that.

No, what you said was that you don't even recall when you last used that term. To be helpful, I put the original post above, did you really forget already, you poor thing.

If your memory lasts less than half an hour, you should tone down the arrogance. But what am I saying, you're the cynick. :laugh::laugh:

Carry on ...

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
no one is visiting marner. They will call his agent this isn't like JT as a UFA where Marner sits in a room hearing pitches. I wish they did do this though itd be hilarious when no one shows up
I was being facetious with the sentiment expressed in the statement I quoted

I'm too old of a cat to be mounted by a kitten;)

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I've seen you say this many times, it's kind of like your own personal trademark of arrogance.

The irony is since you can't even remember what you posted 30 minutes later, you're the one who should be reading all your posts again, might save you some embarrassment. :laugh::laugh:

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
No, what you said was that you don't even recall when you last used that term. To be helpful, I put the original post above, did you really forget already, you poor thing.

If your memory lasts less than half an hour, you should tone down the arrogance. But what am I saying, you're the cynick. :laugh::laugh:

Carry on ...

This is a strange post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad