Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Chris Johnston on today's 31 thoughts podcast says the only other RFAs in nhl history who openly called around teams seeking offersheets were Weber and Evander Kane (apparently the Leafs themselves did research on this during their negotiation prep for Marner).

So Marner will be in very unique company if he does this
So what? It's well within his rights to look after his future. You guys are acting like a bunch of jilted teenage girls. As long as he signs with the Leafs, who cares?

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
That is indeed hilarious. :laugh::laugh:

I totally get why you have him on ignore and I've been tempted to do the same but sometimes, the laughs provided by his posts are just so good. And yes, today is definitely one of those days (or maybe I'm just having a slow day, that's probably a part of it too).
Only reason I don't ignore posters. I want to see the stupidity they post and genuinely laugh. Cynick, TWS, the crazy thread guy on HFLeafs, and countless others.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So what? It's well within his rights to look after his future. You guys are acting like a bunch of jilted teenage girls. As long as he signs with the Leafs, who cares?

Of course it's technically in his rights, but that doesnt mean it's what we should like or expect to see for a guy whose supposedly destined to be a Leaf for the bulk of his career.

All of us love watching Marner in a blue and white unjform, the problem is at the moment his behavior looks to me like it's going to send him to another team. Guys who pull stuff like this seem to basically sign their ticket out of town, the only question becomes "when". If Matthew's or Nylander did this I'd suggest the same thing.

The moment he signs a fair deal with the Leafs I'll be cheering as loud as anybody here. I just hope he gets a it of common sense between now and July 1st.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
:thumbu::thumbu:

I like this idea a LOT. In fact, I'd consider making it either 7-8 or 1-2, you decide Mitch. The thing is, the kid's asking for such a ridiculous amount of money that there is almost no risk at all in the Leafs doing a 1-2 year term.

yeah that's my belief as well. what the hell can he ask for in 2 years that would be worse then what he is at the moment. give him a one or 2 year term and staple him with kadri and move kap to Jt . so he can learn its not just him that got all those points which is exactly what its coming down too. if he wants the big money be the only superstar on your line and prove you can do it on your own with a competent cast of line mates. just not top of the line

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
When Nylander's deal came about, there was no threats of visiting teams for offer sheets and he focused his price range on his comparables. Furthermore, he didn't mess the leafs up in any way other than trying to find a middle ground on his deal and missing a chunk of the year. The Leafs had boatloads of cap space and we're able to go about their business without worry. Even signing John Tavares. Matthews got his out of the way, as have Johnsson and Kapanen verbally to help Dubas get a clear picture of what he has, and doesn't have financially. Marner holding out is really putting Dubas in a bad situation where he doesn't know what he has dollar wise for shopping July 1st. As a result, Marner is hurting the entire team/roster come October. The way this is playing out so far is going to result in a broken relationship

Reactions: Eric Bungay and kb

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
yeah that's my belief as well. what the hell can he ask for in 2 years that would be worse then what he is at the moment. give him a one or 2 year term and staple him with kadri and move kap to Jt . so he can learn its not just him that got all those points which is exactly what its coming down too. if he wants the big money be the only superstar on your line and prove you can do it on your own with a competent cast of line mates. just not top of the line

Kapanen had to play with that scrub Auston Matthews, poor guy.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
When Nylander's deal came about, there was no threats of visiting teams for offer sheets and he focused his price range on his comparables. Furthermore, he didn't mess the leafs up in any way other than trying to find a middle ground on his deal and missing a chunk of the year. The Leafs had boatloads of cap space and we're able to go about their business without worry. Even signing John Tavares. Matthews got his out of the way, as have Johnsson and Kapanen verbally to help Dubas get a clear picture of what he has, and doesn't have financially. Marner holding out is really putting Dubas in a bad situation where he doesn't know what he has dollar wise for shopping July 1st. As a result, Marner is hurting the entire team/roster come October. The way this is playing out so far is going to result in a broken relationship

Dubas deciding to spend all of his cap space before negotiating a deal with Marner is not Marner's fault, that's all on Dubas. It is not a player's responsibility to manage their team's salary cap.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

It's funny how a lot of the same people who were going crazy about Nylander and his diva like qualities are so understand of Marner doing something that makes Nylander's negotiating tactics look like happy play time

I love Marner but this is complete bull**** and if he gets traded out of town its nobody's fault but his own, I'm disguised by the negotiating tactics currently being used by his side and i hope we don't give in

If he wants out that bad so be it

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It's funny how a lot of the same people who were going crazy about Nylander and his diva like qualities are so understand of Marner doing something that makes Nylander's negotiating tactics look like happy play time

I love Marner but this is complete bull**** and if he gets traded out of town its nobody's fault but his own, I'm disguised by the negotiating tactics currently being used by his side and i hope we don't give in

Again, Marner won't be in "diva" category until he doesn't show up to training camp.

Completely different situation right now, and Marner has done nothing wrong.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
This is really another instance of Dubas being in a tough situation thanks to Lou. Playing hardball on Marner's ELC was so pointless, and it's apparently a sticking point for Marner's camp now

Reactions: kb and Finn16

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dubas deciding to spend all of his cap space before negotiating a deal with Marner is not Marner's fault, that's all on Dubas. It is not a player's responsibility to manage their team's salary cap.

If he forces his way out that's also on the player, he's currently slow rolling us so we can't sort out the team so **** him if he wants to go down this road and I hope Dubas is willing to trade him if he won't fit into our cap structure

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Chris Johnston on today's 31 thoughts podcast says the only other RFAs in nhl history who openly called around teams seeking offersheets were Weber and Evander Kane (apparently the Leafs themselves did research on this during their negotiation prep for Marner).

So Marner will be in very unique company if he does this

Ooh watch out man you will now have to go round and round with posters on this topic to end at a point where nothing changed from the the post

Reactions: stopclickbait

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
We really can't afford to give Marner a 5 year deal.

Letting him, Nylander & Matthews all hit free agency at the same time would be a massive disaster.
Perhaps if between now and then we still haven’t made it out of the first round it will be a welcome relief to rid ourselves of the new Muskoka 3

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Of course it's technically in his rights, but that doesnt mean it's what we should like or expect to see for a guy whose supposedly destined to be a Leaf for the bulk of his career.

All of us love watching Marner in a blue and white unjform, the problem is at the moment his behavior looks to me like it's going to send him to another team. Guys who pull stuff like this seem to basically sign their ticket out of town, the only question becomes "when". If Matthew's or Nylander did this I'd suggest the same thing.

The moment he signs a fair deal with the Leafs I'll be cheering as loud as anybody here. I just hope he gets a it of common sense between now and July 1st.

This may be total blue-and-white-goggles on my part, but I honestly can't imagine Mitch sitting in a room and seriously considering signing an offer from some backwater NHL club who wants to do something as stupid as give up four unprotected first round picks for him, over 6-8% value on a contract, which he will immediately lose and more due to lost endorsement opportunities.

I ain't mad until Mitch actually signs to go somewhere else. Until then, I think it's just him letting his agent do his job.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
If he forces his way out that's also on the player, he's currently slow rolling us so we can't sort out the team so **** him if he wants to go down this road and I hope Dubas is willing to trade him if he won't fit into our cap structure

From Marner's perspective Dubas has told Marner he is the least important player on the team since he is willing to leave no room for him. Respect goes both ways. Marner is getting zero respect for leading this team in points for the past two years, and his supposed home town fans are treating him horribly for the pleasure. It's no wonder that up until JT no one wanted to play for the Leafs, and we'll see how much he likes being a Leaf after the reason he joined the team gets traded and Dubas breaks his promise.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

Spot on. It’s hilarious the back tracking without even realizing they are back tracking

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
From Marner's perspective Dubas has told Marner he is the least important player on the team since he is willing to leave no room for him. Respect goes both ways. Marner is getting zero respect for leading this team in points for the past two years, and his supposed home town fans are treating him horribly for the pleasure. It's no wonder that up until JT no one wanted to play for the Leafs, and we'll see how much he likes being a Leaf after the reason he joined the team gets traded and Dubas breaks his promise.

Seems like priority number 1 was marner, marner decided to wait it out so dubas had to get working on other deals.

This lack of respect for marner angle is so absurd they offered him 8x$10m if that’s disrespecting marner then move him now because it’s an overpay

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Again, Marner won't be in "diva" category until he doesn't show up to training camp.

Completely different situation right now, and Marner has done nothing wrong.

His teams behavior during these negotiations and leaking to the media is already rediculous

The day his father talked in the media his side did something wrong
The day his manager ***** about Matthews contract they did something wrong
When they started leaking to the media they did something wrong

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Dubas just gave up a first round pick to make room for him.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
LOL

Imagine believing any of this

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
This is really another instance of Dubas being in a tough situation thanks to Lou. Playing hardball on Marner's ELC was so pointless, and it's apparently a sticking point for Marner's camp now

Which is extremely petty on their part. “I want the $3m more i deserved from my elc. Oh and to be overpaid to begin with”. But Lous policies and signings have screwed us so far

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada

I believe, the way things have gone the last couple of years with RFA's and the Leafs, it will be very hard for this team to field a very competitive well rounded team. When you have 22 year old players that are commanding 11 mill per, I don't see how one can put together a team. I understand getting paid fair value, it is my belief over the last number of years that it has shifted towards the younger player who has still not accomplished anything.

Reactions: dsred

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

What the **** are you on about?

Do you want Dubas not to ice a bloody team until Marner gets his? Dubas has been nothing but glowing about Marner when he's talked about him and how much respect is Marner's team showing when they open there traps in public?

Respect goes both ways

Spot on. It’s hilarious the back tracking without even realizing they are back tracking

The hypocrisy is driving me nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad