Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VIII | We Waitin'

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
For a start saying that on the radio is horrendous, saying it about other teammates contracts is downright disgusting

Nylander, Kapanen and Johnsson's contracts aren't beyond the realms of there comparables and Matthews contract is disgusting by any metric

The 9M by 8 years was before the season started and that was bloody bad enough but we've also heard he wants Matthews contract in recent months

I tell you what though kiwi. If matthews or marner was in line for a “disgusting” contract the choice would be very very easy. The guy who gets 35 goals in his sleep in 60 games.

For the record matthews contract isn’t great but Not that bad

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If mlse are this involved how isn’t marner signed yet? Obviously according to you they don’t care about negotiating why hasn’t this call been made yet?

Because it cripples whatever little respect the GM has left with agents. But if Rogers and Bell think they are going to lose a meal ticket, they will step in. A fallacy on here is thinking the GM can decide on his own to let marner walk.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Humour me, how exactly is it 'ridiculous'? Is what they're doing effective? Will it cause us to give Marner any different of a contract? How does it concern you, or anyone else?

The way I see it, this talking to the public stuff hasn't worked to Marner's advantage at all. It won't really help him get a better contract... So Marner's dad and agent can keep doing whatever they want to do... it likely won't influence the contract negotiations one bit.

Who is back tracking, and what are they back tracking about?

The same posters calling nylander a diva and stop listening to his dad are in here with post says like “dubas has to pay marner” etc. You are one of them so stop playing dumb

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Is Marner Kawhi Leonard?

In many ways, he's much bigger. You're dealing with a group that always saw the Raps as the red headed stepchild. Things changed a bit this playoff, but even now, the golden boy is still the leafs.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I tell you what though kiwi. If matthews or marner was in line for a “disgusting” contract the choice would be very very easy. The guy who gets 35 goals in his sleep in 60 games.

For the record matthews contract isn’t great but that bad

It's horrendous Walshy, we should have got at least 7 years with that AAV
The fact we only got 5 is beyond bad

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
The same posters calling nylander a diva and stop listening to his dad are in here with post says like “dubas has to pay marner” etc. You are one of them so stop playing dumb

It's because this time it helps his bias, last time it didn't.

Very common theme here.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Because it cripples whatever little respect the GM has left with agents. But if Rogers and Bell think they are going to lose a meal ticket, they will step in. A fallacy on here is thinking the GM can decide on his own to let marner walk.

One of your worse takes and that’s saying something. If they are as involved as they say you would be why haven’t they stepped in on all these terrible issues betrays and bad trades dubas has made. In fact why have a gm they must be able to do a better job?

The only fallacy here is you and your bad imitation of an intelligent person.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
In many ways, he's much bigger. You're dealing with a group that always saw the Raps as the red headed stepchild. Things changed a bit this playoff, but even now, the golden boy is still the leafs.

LOL...he's not and nowhere close. With or without Marner, the Leafs will move on...without his cap hit, the Leafs could solidify their defense and probably be a better all-around team.

Leonard took the Raptors to a Championship title...can't say the same for Marner...how many first round exits now with Marner in the line-up?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Humour me, how exactly is it 'ridiculous'? Is what they're doing effective? Will it cause us to give Marner any different of a contract? How does it concern you, or anyone else?

The way I see it, this talking to the public stuff hasn't worked to Marner's advantage at all. It won't really help him get a better contract... So Marner's dad and agent can keep doing whatever they want to do... it likely won't influence the contract negotiations one bit.

Who is back tracking, and what are they back tracking about?

So one of the same people that was in the Nylander threads putting the boot in because of how much of a pain in the ass Nylander was is defending negotiating in public now?

If only you had this opinion when Nylander was being a prick

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
If mlse are this involved how isn’t marner signed yet? Obviously according to you they don’t care about negotiating why hasn’t this call been made yet?

You're not expecting logic in these delusions, are you?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Would anyone actually be willing to pay $10m+ for 5yrs+ and 4 firsts? Like I'm not asking rhetorically, but is this even in the realm of possibility?

If you're willing to expend that much, you're probably considering many options at least.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Would anyone actually be willing to pay $10m+ for 5yrs+ and 4 firsts? Like I'm not asking rhetorically, but is this even in the realm of possibility?

If you're willing to expend that much, you're probably considering many options at least.

$10.55 million is two 1sts, second, and a third, or about what the Leafs traded for Jake Muzzin.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Agreed. There's no reason to treat Marner or Nylander differently. Well maybe treating Nylander better since he didn't openly negotiate through the media or seek out offer sheets. Marner can certainly do anything he's allowed to. But that doesn't mean his reputation won't end up being dragged through the mud as a result. Being able to do something and people being fine with it are different things. He could sign an offer sheet and that's allowed. Doesn't mean he wouldn't get traded once the Leafs were allowed to do so and wouldn't mean he'd avoid hearing about people's displeasure. There are things you can do legally that people would frown on and consider socially unacceptable. If the best defence Marner has is "well he's allowed to" then there really isn't much else to defend his position with.

If Marner ends up on another team that's on him. He allowed this situation to reach this point. If his ego can't take being paid less than Matthews then he can go and be overpaid somewhere else. His negotiation tactics have been disgusting. It's really too bad his whole group hasn't been able to even show the class Nylander did. I hate that Nylander held out. But I also hate how Marner has allowed his side to operate. And it is his fault. Either for inaction or by giving the confirmation for his agent to do everything he has done.

10 million per year over 8 years isn't asking Marner to take a discount. It is asking Marner not to be a greedy idiot. That is already a massive overpay for Marner. And I'm sorry for Marner if asking him to have any shred of sense is insulting to him.

But there is a good list of reasons why it's different.

1) Marner is a significantly better hockey player
2) Marner is more important for our franchise (more well rounded, PKs, etc)
3) Nylander signing above market value set a precedent for us going forward
4) There aren't a good set of recent comparables for Marner, like there was for Nylander
5) Nylander didn't show up to training camp
6) Nylander didn't show up for the first two months of the season
7) Nylander negotiation was Dubas' first big signed RFA as GM
8) Auston Matthews signed an unprecedented deal, and is a better comparable for Marner than Nylander is
9) We had a lot more cap flexibility last year
10) Marner's camp has been open with the media / Dreger

The list can go on... I think people should stop comparing these negotiations to the Nylander negotiations last season. They're not the same... like at all...

Not to mention, at this time last year, Nylander was asking for 8.5M. Marner will likely come down significantly on his demands too.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

Why wouldn't the team simply pay $12 million for Panarin and keep the 4 1st? Are they stupid? :sarcasm:

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Started half-ass following the leafs back when Kulemin and Grabovski were on the team. Gotta say from an outside perspective it is really difficult to gauge what is going to happen here.

Theres usually an obvious play-out for these scenarios but doesn't seem to be one here.

I don't see an offer sheet happening because theres so few teams that can balance the cap/risk of that.

Just wonder what a realistic return looks like for you guys if he's dealt. Not going to get a civil discussion about his true value on the main boards.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
So one of the same people that was in the Nylander threads putting the boot in because of how much of a pain in the ass Nylander was is defending negotiating in public now?

If only you had this opinion when Nylander was being a prick

This is completely different than the Nylander negotiation.

If Marner was on Nylander's tier... I might be a little more upset. But Marner is a freaking superstar. You work through these aches and pains, to keep him. Its an absolute joke that people are willing to turn on him so quickly. I mean, you can make a legitimate argument that Marner deserves Matthews money.... you can't fault him for trying to get it.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015

Maybe mlse understands there isn't enough cap space for a team to have 3 "meal tickets". The leafs already have Matthews and Tavares.

Winning rounds in the playoffs with a balanced team is more of a "meal ticket" than overpayment of a 3rd wheel.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

What am I back tracking about? This in now way is comparable to the Nylander situation. Completely different scenerios.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
When Marner flies out to Europe and doesn't fly back to North America until the last week of November, then we can say he's being worse than Nylander.

Reactions: MyBudJT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad