Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VII | The Saga Continues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
If Marner takes to the road to solicit offer sheets he may as well stay on the road. Given the Marleau trade and the shrinking cap his demands are completely unreasonable and crippling the team.

If Marner did sign an OS and Leafs didn't match, then was it really necessary to deal a 1st round pick to unload Marleau?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The Leafs being able to match an offer sheet won't stop offer sheets. It doesn't remove any leverage from Marner.

It means teams wont be offering them if they know they'll just be matched.

It's why we almost never see them used when you also factor in the high compensation.

Marners negotiation leverage sinking faster than the titanic

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006

It's why we almost never see them used when you also factor in the high compensation.

You only hear about the ones that get signed, you have no idea about the ones that don't.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Marner did sign an OS and Leafs didn't match, then was it really necessary to deal a 1st round pick to unload Marleau?

Then they wouldnt have been able to lock in Kapanen and Johnsson today.

If they did they wouldn't have the capspace to match. If Marner does sign an offersheet, the Leafs have the option to sit and think if it's worth it or not.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You only hear about the ones that get signed, you have no idea about the ones that don't.

A player hasnt signed one in 6 years. And it's been even longer since a player left his team via one.

The threat of offersheets is more of a fantasy for message board conversations and sensationalist media than reality. The number of players who have signed offersheets in the salary cap era is minuscule.

An empty threat by a desperate agent.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
I still say he's bluffing, trying to leverage other teams in order to squeeze a couple million more out of Dubas. Call him on it - let him do what he wants, I'm still pretty confident he'll come crawling back. Can't imagine he'd leave his hometown team to go play for some bottom feeder.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
A player hasnt signed one in 6 years. And it's been even longer since a player left his team via one.

The threat of offersheets is more of a fantasy for message board conversations and sensationalist media than reality. The number of players who have signed offersheets in the salary cap era is minuscule.

An empty threat by a desperate agent.

Word is Aho is looking for $9.5 from the Canes who are balking. I don't think they would match a $10.5 OS so he makes more sense as a target.

Reactions: Menzinger

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
Word is Aho is looking for $9.5 from the Canes who are balking. I don't think they would match a $10.5 OS so he makes more sense as a target.
That's impossible, I thought only the Leafs could be offer sheeted

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I think the leaking of the numbers for Kap+AJ are probably from Dubas trying to put a little pressure on Marner. He can see the cap space shrinking to fit him in the team without major overhauls

Reactions: Menzinger

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Who says it's four 1sts? 3 years at $10.55 million would be two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

But would he be interested in a three year deal? I think players don't like the bridge because of the security and while that's not bridge money it still has the short term risk. I think at $10.55 x 3 the club just matches and then trades him. Give him a year to prove his value, another playoff run, and then trade him when hopefully a higher cap makes the number easier to swallow. Certainly they won't let him jack them again in 3 years, and two years of remaining term would be attractive to another club.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The fact that they havent announced kappy contract details also point to a defensive position related to an offersheet threat.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018

Hot take much?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The fact that they havent announced kappy contract details also point to a defensive position related to an offersheet threat.

With Ferris not meeting with Dubas at the draft, like originally had been planned, and announcing they're about to listen to other teams next week and combine that with Leafs actions and it does appear Leafs are bracing for an potential OS situation are positioning themselves best they can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad