Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VII | The Saga Continues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
has an RFA ever openly solicited offers from other teams? I think it's beyond repair at this point, he needs to go

It's all his agent. He does this all the time and threatens that his player will play over seas. Kinda feel bad that the Devils are gonna have to put up with this guy soon with Taylor Hall.

Jimmy Firecracker

They Fired Sheldon!
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Honestly, if people like you are majority, I'd expect Marner to demand a trade just so he doesn't have to be treated like this.

If Marner re-signs without ever talking to another team it'll be fine. We'll critique the contract for sure but it'll pass and we'll all move on.

If he and his camp however are truly serious about hearing offers from other teams come July 1st and aren't just bluffing then forget it. That's completely unprofessional and shows he really does value his paycheque over the team.

Reactions: Kamiccolo

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
If Marner re-signs without ever talking to another team it'll be fine. We'll critique the contract for sure but it'll pass and we'll all move on.

If he and his camp however are truly serious about hearing offers from other teams come July 1st and aren't just bluffing then forget it. That's completely unprofessional and shows he really does value his paycheque over the team.

Every professional athlete cares about themselves first and their team second and there is nothing wrong with that. When is the last time you turned down a pay raise at your job so the company could do better?

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Every professional athlete cares about themselves first and their team second and there is nothing wrong with that. When is the last time you turned down a pay raise at your job so the company could do better?

Complete strawman. There is a difference between guys making 30-100k and guys make 3M+.

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
Geez, I wish I was offered 9.5M vs 12M so I could let you know which I'd decide. He's being a selfish prick who is valuing his pride more than his actual value, so please log off Paul.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Yea, well, in this scenario if he doesn't like what's being offered he can just sit out and make $0.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Or he can utilize his rights as an RFA, determine his market value, and sign a contract for what someone is willing to pay him.

Ok, great. He can do that. Just like the Leafs can offer him what they think he is worth. They are under no obligation to make him as much money as he wants. He wants to go sign someone else's offer, he is free to do so. Just like my employer has no obligation to pay me X amount of money that I want to get paid.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Ferris relying on public pressure via the media to force Dubas' hand.

Leafs in turn should leak they're actively shopping him and see how quickly Marner orders Ferris to run back to the negotiation table

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
So if I understand this correctly, there are three options: 1) sign him; 2) trade him for whatever we want; or 3) a team oversheets him and we match or get picks.

Is there a limitation for when the offersheet cannot happen? I would almost prefer the 4 picks. I doubt a team could afford a good package straight up for Marner.

Or we just sit him. Whynot?

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
So if I understand this correctly, there are three options: 1) sign him; 2) trade him for whatever we want; or 3) a team oversheets him and we match or get picks.

Is there a limitation for when the offersheet cannot happen? I would almost prefer the 4 picks. I doubt a team could afford a good package straight up for Marner.

Or we just sit him. Whynot?

Who says it's four 1sts? 3 years at $10.55 million would be two 1sts, a 2nd, and a 3rd.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Marner takes to the road to solicit offer sheets he may as well stay on the road. Given the Marleau trade and the shrinking cap his demands are completely unreasonable and crippling the team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The fact that they're openly soliciting offersheets is fairly telling. Start calling up Columbus about Jones or Werenski (and let TSN know about it).

This is a Bush league move by Ferris

Reactions: IPS

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Kapanen and Johnsson fall in line and are locked in a sweetheart prices. Leafs with ton of capspace to match any offersheet.

Marner suddenly looking like a luxury at this point. Might have to start accepting a deal under 10 mil of he wants to stay in Toronto

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Kapanen and Johnsson fall in line and are locked in a sweetheart prices. Leafs with ton of capspace to match any offersheet.

Marner suddenly looking like a luxury at this point. Might have to start accepting a deal under 10 mil of he wants to stay in Toronto

The Leafs being able to match an offer sheet won't stop offer sheets. It doesn't remove any leverage from Marner.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Lol im thinking he is going to be traded.
We have signed both kap and johnsson. Therefore, everything is done. Only he remains.

Here is what we can offer you. If not then we are trading you.

Reactions: Cotton

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
The fact that they're openly soliciting offersheets is fairly telling. Start calling up Columbus about Jones or Werenski (and let TSN know about it).

This is a Bush league move by Ferris

Until it happens, I wouldn't worry about an opinion or a guess from a media guy

Reactions: therealkoho
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad