Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VII | The Saga Continues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
This is all agent and Dad. Recent video shows what a &$&@ he really is. Gives hockey parents a bad name. Disturbing trend with Nylander and Marner. Marner is probably my favourite player, I hope he learned something from Nylander situation and doesn’t screw up his next year. Having said that, I hope Dubas puts the screws to his dad and agent.
it didn't start with Paul Marner, this crap has been going on in rinks for 30 maybe 40 years, I know I had to listen to it when I played and then much later when I coached, this is not some new phenomenon

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
really?

the NHL starting next season has agreements in place with betting sites and Vegas in regard to royalties, just like the NBA, the NFL and MLB, They're thinking conservatively 200m in the first year, plus a new deal with NBC that is worth another 200m per year, money they did not have before

400m in HRR divide by 32 = 12.5m per team

I know They have marketing and data agreement with MGM where the NHL will provide proprietary data for a fee. Similar to the NBA but likely not as high as the 25 million.

Do they have agreements for royalties as part of the legalized gambling in each state?

Reactions: biotk

MLSE

Jan 30, 2004
Windsor, Ontario
from @SniperOnTheWing

it's a business first and foremost, always has been, always will be, most of the players at least the elite see the money as an ego thing, there is really zero difference in lifestyle for a guy making 8m or a guy making 11.5 they all know this because they see it with their own eyes, but like I said it's an ego thing, taunts on the ice for the last few years include contract status, how much money their making or not making. It's effin ridiculous, but it's the way it is. The NHLPA drives it, the agent's drive it, the parents drive it. JT before signing with the Leafs had already made 44.25m dollars, he could have signed in Toronto for 5m + the 25-30% exchange rate a year and his great grandchildren would still be living in luxury on the proceeds. He could've but he didn't because he would have been ostracized by the union and probably most of the ultra rabid PA types, and the dude didn't need the added BS, so they all go with the flow. This now includes the new end around play with the RFA contracts

Personally I do not see any hockey player being worth more then 5-8m per season, that's only because of the reality and scale of the economics in today's world, but that now is practically a middle class earner in the league today.

Mitch like a lot of kids in Southern Ontario grow up bleeding B&W and dream of playing for the Leafs one day, I had that same dream but my talent ran out in Jr and JrB at that, but what never changed is my feeling for the Leafs, Mitch undoubtedly feels the same way, but it's a business

You said its a business first and foremost. You are right about that part. Players deserve half and the owners deserve half. It's not about how much you feel is enough to be rich, its about how much the league makes. Then within that calculated amount (80 million at this point), you calculate how much a player can get. Done.

You only have a 10-15 year window.. a little more if you're lucky. Get as much money as you can and let the team figure it out. Too many times players took cuts and their team still didn't win. Do not be taken advantage of, it's a business first and foremost.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You are so transparent. Marner is a must have. He is our best player and it bothers you so much that it is not Nylander that it is laughable.

Let's be honest not a single player on the Leafs is a must have. Thirty other teams in the league, including the Blues don't have any of them, and they seems to be doing just fine.

Wingers are not as important as centers.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
it didn't start with Paul Marner, this crap has been going on in rinks for 30 maybe 40 years, I know I had to listen to it when I played and then much later when I coached, this is not some new phenomenon
Sadly, your right. Maybe it’s social media, but I don’t recall parents being so involved with contract negotiations in the past. Agents were let alone publicly to do their thing. You never heard from Mario’s Wayne’s or Gimour’s dad during RFA negotiations.

Reactions: biotk

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
I know They have marketing and data agreement with MGM where the NHL will provide proprietary data for a fee. Similar to the NBA but likely not as high as the 25 million.

Do they have agreements for royalties as part of the legalized gambling in each state?
yes, it's been in the works for about three years

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Sadly, your right. Maybe it’s social media, but I don’t recall parents being so involved with contract negotiations in the past. Agents were let alone publicly to do their thing. You never heard from Mario’s Wayne’s or Gimour’s dad during RFA negotiations.

I read nothing but potshots and negative comments about the Lindros clan because they didn't want their son playing in Northern Ontario when he was a child.

It isn't new, just today social media has a voracious appetite.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior

it's definitely social media and the media

I just can't wait to get to The Mitch Mearner Saga XVI!

oh ds:laugh:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
How many threads did nylander go to? Maybe Paul Marner is also trying to compete with Willy(and Michael Nylander) for most thread discussions for a RFA

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
Let's be honest not a single player on the Leafs is a must have. Thirty other teams in the league, including the Blues don't have any of them, and they seems to be doing just fine.

Wingers are not as important as centers.
Franchise players are franchise players no matter what position they play. That has been proven over and over again over the history of the NHL.

Wingers are not as important as a center is among the stupidest things repeated on here. Tell that to Ovi, Kane, Mr Hockey, etc. It is simply a false narrative that is repeated by people who fail to understand that it is the best players in the game who are Important and it is not an exclusive club for just centers. Usually it is centers who are the leading scorers on their teams as generally the most skilled players in the game have played center their whole life’s.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
yes, it's been in the works for about three years

OK. I think we are talking about is projected revenues from gaming; as fan engagement increases, revenues from tickets, merchandise and other gambling related licensing fees etc.

I could be wrong but I don’t think the NHL gets a percentage of the book.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
If centers are more important than wingers, is Gauthier more important than Marner?

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
You’re welcome to disagree but there’s a reason Matthews was signed first. The only thing that’s been holding Matthews back from being an absolute monster is injuries.

I love Marner but Matthews is a game breaker.
I agree but sadly I believe Matty will leave as soon as he hits UFA, Nylander will be out the door before Mitch will

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
lol, no kidding.
I've seen it in house league soccer.

Reactions: therealkoho

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I agree but sadly I believe Matty will leave as soon as he hits UFA, Nylander will be out the door before Mitch will

With Matthews having a NMC his final year I wonder if they just let him walk, unless they're out of the playoffs that year?

Perhaps the best return you would get on him is July 2nd. 2019. :laugh:

Good thing none of these guys can have a clause early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad