Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VII | The Saga Continues

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
With Ferris not meeting with Dubas at the draft, like originally had been planned, and announcing they're about to listen to other teams next week and combine that with Leafs actions and it does appear Leafs are bracing for an potential OS situation are positioning themselves best they can.

Kind of weasely words from lebrun. Whose expectations? The Marner camp has nothing to gain from announcing they are going to do this. Leave it to the media to fill in the blanks.

Reactions: therealkoho

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Brown had 8 goals last year. Are you being obtuse and a contrarian just for the sake of it? lol

I can remember further back than 1 year. Connor Brown scored 20 goals in 2016-2017 and then signed a $2.1 million contract.

Is Johnsson a 20 goal scorer, or a guy who is going to score 8 goals next year?

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
with kapp and johnsson siggning now, i could care less what marner does.... ill have the 4 first rounders and cap space

What happens if the other team offers like 11m x 4 years. No way we should sign that but we won't get the 4 picks I think the compensation for it would be 2 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd. Pretty weak but what kenya do. Hopefully sign Panarin or something.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Kind of weasely words from lebrun. Whose expectations? The Marner camp has nothing to gain from announcing they are going to do this. Leave it to the media to fill in the blanks.

LeBrun's source must be Ferris himself, how else would he know he was leaving the draft shortly, didn't meet with Dubas and also what they intend to do next week?

Seems he had a face to face chat at the draft with Marner's agent, and it seems its LeBrun putting out the press notes as opposed to Ferris saying this is off the record.

Last edited:

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
The treatment between Johnsson and Marner is baffling to me. A guy with 46 points at age 24 is going to sign for $3.5 million and everyone calls it a steal. A guy who scored 224 points by age 22 is being told he's not worth the money.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I can remember further back than 1 year. Connor Brown scored 20 goals in 2016-2017 and then signed a $2.1 million contract.

Is the hill you really want to die ol n today that Johnsson = Brown?

Hes older, better underlying numbers over the course of his career. And old fashioned eye test suggests hes got a higher skillet

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS

Brown regressing heavily is generally the exception when talking about young forwards. I suppose the Leafs should only negotiate with Marner as though he's a 69 point player because there's no way he can match last year, if we were to follow your logic.

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Brown regressing heavily is generally the exception when talking about young forwards. I suppose the Leafs should only negotiate with Marner as though he's a 69 point player because there's no way he can match last year.

Marner has a sample size of 241 NHL games. Johnsson has a sample size of 82 NHL games.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The treatment between Johnsson and Marner is baffling to me. A guy with 46 points at age 24 is going to sign for $3.5 million and everyone calls it a steal. A guy who scored 224 points by age 22 is being told he's not worth the money.

3.5 mil ask vs 12.5 mil ask, gee I wonder why they're being treated differently.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Marner has a sample size of 241 NHL games. Johnsson has a sample size of 82 NHL games.
Sure, and 2/3 of his sample size suggest he's a 60-70 point winger. His only big year came with an elite center. We better not offer him more than 6.5 million!

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
That would still be 4 firsts.

ohh sorry I must misunderstand the rule. I thought it had to be like 10.5 x 5 to meet the threshold. And that additional years would make it more easy to meet the threshold (like 9x6), but fewer years would make it easier to fall below the threshold?

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Sure, and 2/3 of his sample size suggest he's a 60-70 point winger. His only big year came with an elite center. We better not offer him more than 6.5 million!

There is a gigantic difference in Marner's pedigree and trajectory when compared to Johnsson. You are being an idiot.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

If Marner signs a fair deal in the range of his contract comparables like Johnsson just did (9-9.9 mil) everyone here will be celebrating both player and GM.

Marner hasnt proven to be worth being paid as the highest paid winger in NHL history. That's what folks are balking at his agents posturing.

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
There is a gigantic difference in Marner's pedigree and trajectory when compared to Johnsson. You are being an idiot.
Got it, one young forward will improve while another will immediately regress, because of their pedigree.

Resorting to name calling so early in our conversation is hilarious.

Reactions: Menzinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad