Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Id rather 11/8 for him over 10.5/4 or 5.
with cap going up it's a no brainer the 11/8 would hold better long term value.
too bad Matthews/Marner's deals couldnt come next season where there prob is nothing standing in the way
Yeah I can just see why he doesn't want to lock into eight at 11 with how the cap and with it contracts have been rising .

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Sounds like no one will be happy if Marner is north of $10M... except Marner. ;)

I always figured 10.5 to 11M. Hope it happens.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Freidman is a joke. I never believe a word he says. He is all about the clicks. He knows nothing about hockey. There is no leaks on Marner's contract from either Leafs or Marner which is exactly how Shanny asked it to go.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dang he hasn't even held out into training camp yet .

Like other than Matthews has a single other big rfa signed yet ? Are they all poison ?
sure, here's what Marner and his camp have done:
-Publicly criticized Matthews and Nylander for not taking discounts
-Publicly accused Toronto of low-balling Marner while also refusing to negotiate during the season
-Leaked through the media that they would seek out offer sheets and hoped to negotiate with other teams
-Came forward publicly to talk about how Marner should be captain
Now he's allegedly turning down more than fair deals because he has a skewed idea of what he's worth. If the reports are wrong I'll take it back, but it doesn't look great for him. Obviously none of this is irreparable damage, but it's easy to see why fans are turning on him and the Leafs are now forced to consider trading him

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Dang he hasn't even held out into training camp yet .

Like other than Matthews has a single other big rfa signed yet ? Are they all poison ?

Holding out past the start of the season might make his cap hit for this year too large to fit under the cap. Both sides should know this.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I want Nylander traded for effort.
I want Nylander traded because after watching him half-ass it in the playoffs and then be the WC MVP, I realized that he considers winning gold with Sweden more important than winning a Stanley Cup. As a result, I don't believe he's EVER going to give the effort it will take to win, and more likely he drags the team down when it really counts. I'd prefer at this point to give his money to someone who will.

... And before the inevitable "Marner didn't do anything in the playoffs this year either!", here's a fact for you; last year, Marner was the guy who was killing the Bruins in the playoffs, while the Matthews-Nylander line did absolutely nothing. This year, Matthews killed the Bruins while Mitch and Johnny T did nothing. Think it might have something to do with a certain 6'9" octopus Boston likes to deploy to clutch&grab the other teams' most dangerous player? The much better question is to ask why despite facing THIRD LINE OPPOSITION and supposedly being a "driver of offense"... Why did Nylander do nothing in the playoffs, again?

Marner has outscored Nylander in every playoff series we've had at this point, even WHILE "having a bad series".

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
:laugh: The drama queens are out in full forth today lapping up every negative “belief” they can find.
I appreciate the entertainment

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They do have lots of time and Dubas did say Marner was his #1 priority. If it was me I would give them my best take it or leave it 3, 5 and 8 year offers. Decline all and we move you.
Maybe he did who knows Didn't he say he has a July first deadline or something ? Idk dubas will prob be busier with the draft unless he wants to move marner then

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Some kept saying Willie is to blame.... but what if Willie signed for 6mil/yr and Matthews signed at 11.6/8 yrs, do you think Marner will not ask for what he is asking now?
With all the RFA unsign and the cap being lower than expected, would be interesting to see if any GMs/owners propose the Bird rights idea from the NBA.

Reactions: biotk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad