Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I'll share a sentiment I shared in the last Marner thread.

I am astonished how people are willing to give up so easily on Marner.

If this was 3 years ago, we be scratching and clawing and doing whatever we could to retain our superstar players.... heck, we didn't even have any back then!

Now, we're not even at the draft yet... and people are saying "**** it", let him walk and I'll take the draft picks.

This is mind-boggling to me.

Let's say he does not want to take 11x8, then how high would you want to go? He is not McDavid.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
I'll share a sentiment I shared in the last Marner thread.

I am astonished how people are willing to give up so easily on Marner.

If this was 3 years ago, we be scratching and clawing and doing whatever we could to retain our superstar players.... heck, we didn't even have any back then!

Now, we're not even at the draft yet... and people are saying "**** it", let him walk and I'll take the draft picks.

This is mind-boggling to me.

100%

On top of that, it's like people forget inflation exists.

Jeff Skinner just signed a contract for 9 million a year people...

I know people will say he was a UFA, but that's a monster number.

When Draisaitl signed his deal he signed for 11.33% of their Cap

Eichel signed for 13,33% of their cap

None of those guys were on Marner's level when his contract was up.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Im gonna be one of the 1st people to say it
**** marner if hes rejecting a 11/8 deal
I want those 1st round draftpicks offersheet his ass and bye.
You'll be happy in a few months when he dangles around 4 guys, sends a saucer pass to tavares for his 4th assist of the night.

You know it's true.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Let's say he does not want to take 11x8, then how high would you want to go? He is not McDavid.

I wouldn't WANT to go higher than 11. I don't think it will go higher than 11. But the highest I'd match an offer-sheet would be 11.75 x 8. I can't see myself matching at 12M AAV.

At 11.75, we could still make it work IMO. It would be tough, but possible.

Reactions: Havoc

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I think he truly just wants to be the top player on his team. He wants to be a Captain. He wants to be on video games. He wants to go to the All-star game (I'm sure he will but he realizes how hard it is with Matthews and Tavares there too). I think he really just wants to be "the guy". And that's unfortunate. Cuz it might end up wrecking something beautiful we've begun to build here. I love Marner, he is a heck of a player...but...if he visits other teams to see what they can offer sheet him...I'll be disappointed. If I'm Dubas I say if you get on that plane for visits, stay gone. Because clearly being a Maple Leaf isn't where your heart is at

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I wouldn't WANT to go higher than 11. I don't think it will go higher than 11. But the highest I'd match an offer-sheet would be 11.75 x 8. I can't see myself matching at 12M AAV.

At 11.75, we could still make it work IMO. It would be tough, but possible.

If they go 11, Nylander has to go IMO.

Reactions: Brown Dog

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
I think he truly just wants to be the top player on his team. He wants to be a Captain. He wants to be on video games. He wants to go to the All-star game (I'm sure he will but he realizes how hard it is with Matthews and Tavares there too). I think he really just wants to be "the guy". And that's unfortunate. Cuz it might end up wrecking something beautiful we've begun to build here. I love Marner, he is a heck of a player...but...if he visits other teams to see what they can offer sheet him...I'll be disappointed. If I'm Dubas I say if you get on that plane for visits, stay gone. Because clearly being a Maple Leaf isn't where your heart is at
They he should become a better all around player so he is the best on his team or sign an offer sheet with a garbage team.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
100%

Fine, 11x8 is the max I would go. 11 at less than 8 years is a horrible deal. Goal scorers get paid more too. Skinner got his deal because he scored 40 goals. Marner has not even had 30. I take the 40 goals over the 60 assists Marner got. I am talking more bout Matthews 40 as opposed to Skinner.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Again only speculation on the $11 for 8 years but really what team would offer sheet more then that. If he really turned it down then offer sheets are probably not going to happen imho.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

If he visits other teams to see what they can offer sheet him, he will be disappointed. There are only a few GMs foolish enough to meet his ask and they may not have the funds or assets to acquire him. This team is bigger than one player. In fact if Dubas is smart enough, we might be better off by moving him.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
100%

Just cus other GMs were idiots, doesn't mean dubas should be as well. He already got slapped on the matthews deal.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I don't even agree with that. You could make it work, but it would be tough.

Sure you can make it work on paper but it will be a long shot to make it work on the ice. Marner is a great playmaker but if does not play with a goal scorer like Tavares he is not putting up 100 points until he develops a shot.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Again only speculation on the $11 for 8 years but really what team would offer sheet more then that. If he really turned it down then offer sheets are probably not going to happen imho.

Dubas can look for a Burke to offer 2 firsts and a second. That worked for the Bruins :)

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Offersheet would be for 5 years though. Term seems to be the problem.

Even with moderate increases in cap and his production, he can sign as a UFA for that point at like 13.5 a year.

So the 8 year contract in that case is leaving 7.5 million on the table.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Offersheet would be for 5 years though. Term seems to be the problem.

Even with moderate increases in cap and his production, he can sign as a UFA for that point at like 13.5 a year.

So the 8 year contract in that case is leaving 7.5 million on the table.

Ok, see ya then. Leafs shouldn't touch a contract with less than 8 years for that money. No way. And they shouldn't go over 11x8 either. This is ridiculous. He wants to get paid? Get paid somewhere else.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
More likely it's the 8 years that's the issue not the 11.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

This would suck if true.

Give up multiple cups because you wanted to be on the cover of a video game and go to an all star game nobody cares about any more.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
If they go 11, Nylander has to go IMO.
I agree 100%. Can you play fantasy GM and make it work? Sure. But realistically 11 million puts Dubas in a hell of a pinch and he loses a lot of leverage in moving guys. He'll be taking a bath in deals just to move guys for the sake of moving them. You'll get lowball offers or asked to add sweetners to move guys because GMs know you're in a bind and have a roster to fill out yet.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
This would suck if true.

Give up multiple cups because you wanted to be on the cover of a video game and go to an all star game nobody cares about any more.
He seems to have a strong need for "respect". He has a fan base that adores him, and he's tainting his image over what will likely be peanuts when his career is said and done

Reactions: ToneDog and Havoc
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad