Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
Nice to see Pierre McGuire helping out the media cause of drumming this all up. Says Marner should have been in the Hart conversation... I guess he forgets he voted for Nathan McKinnon, Connor McDavid, Patrick Kane and Brad Marchand

McGuire is a hack. I am relieved I don't have to listen to his BS or see him in games anymore.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Basically what Friedman says in the OP is that Leafs and Marner at a similar point in negotiations where Matthews and Leafs decided on a 5yr deal that was about 15% less than the 8yr ask that they would have otherwise agreed to.

If Marner's ask were $11m (complete unsubstantiated, Friedman used that number as an example), then they are at the point in negotiations where they would potentially agree to $9.35mx5. Again, a completely unsubstantiated guess as admitted by Friedman himself in the OP.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
My speculative guess is Marner wants a 5 year deal making the assumption salaries will be skyrocketing after the new TV deal. He probably feels he'll be missing out on a lot of money by signing a 8 year deal.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
He's not the better player
He's not a center
He's not one of the best goal scorers in the league
No RFA winger straight out of his ECL has even come close to 11M

I'd happily call his bluff and give him the team jet to visit other teams so he can solicit offer-sheets, give me the 4 1st rounders

It's debatable who the better player is. Mitch is also far more durable which comes into play. Mitch puts up more points, arguably drives the offense better, etc.

He's one of the best passers in the league.

No 70 point center coming out of ELC had gotten close to 11.6m before either, but Matthews did. Dubas overpaid Matthews by about 2 million and now Marner wants his too.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Because Matthews is a much better player.
Is he? Based on what?

Mitch puts up more points, arguably drives the offense just as well, kills penalties and hasn't missed a quarter of each of the last two seasons.

If Matthews is better he certainly isn't so much better than he gets 11.6x5 and Mitch has to take 11x8.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's debatable who the better player is. Mitch is also far more durable which comes into play. Mitch puts up more points, arguably drives the offense better, etc.

No 70 point center coming out of ELC had gotten close to 11.6m before either, but Matthews did. Dubas overpaid Matthews by about 2 million and now Marner wants his too.

Just stop talking.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
PSA: Friedman did not say that Marner's ask is $11m, he did not say that Marner turned down $11m. Friedman concedes in the video in the OP that he does not know what Marner's ask is. Everyone needs to be smarter and qualify your information.

It was not reported that Mitch Marner turned down an $11m offer.

Yeah it's like nobody listens to the interviews or reads beyond the headlines.

We're not shopping him either like the tweet in the OP suggests. The checking in is about everyone else...as if its news teams are talking the day before the draft.

Literally nothing new and nothing to see at this point.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Is he? Based on what?

Mitch puts up more points, arguably drives the offense just as well, kills penalties and hasn't missed a quarter of each of the last two seasons.

If Matthews is better he certainly isn't so much better than he gets 11.6x5 and Mitch has to take 11x8.

Next seasons headlines... Auston Matthews, the contract that killed Kyle Dubas' career.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
so basically it's looking like he'll either sign a worse contract than 11x8 or be off the team. Well, I know which option I'd prefer

Reactions: biotk

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki

Matthews is a unicorn, he's the best pure goal scoring 5v5 center in recent league history

Marner is a fantastic player but he's certainly not that and since we've overpaid the other guys we can no longer do that with Marner and still ice a competitive team

I'm quite perplexed by this because we've ****** up our other contracts we should continue to do that with Marner

Have you ever heard of the term if your in a hole put down the shovel and stop digging?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Is he? Based on what?

Based on your other posts I am not going to bother wasting my time. I am just glad Leafs' management has the brains to know which one is far better.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
He's not the better player
He's not a center
He's not one of the best goal scorers in the league
No RFA winger straight out of his ECL has even come close to 11M

I'd happily call his bluff and give him the team jet to visit other teams so he can solicit offer-sheets, give me the 4 1st rounders

It's been reported, we can certainly debate the veracity of this claim but it's certainly not out of the realms of possibility there's some truth to it

I'm going to debate the merits of those numbers, just like most of us did when Nylander numbers hit the media

This, stuff this kid if he isn't willing to sign for 88m that's a crazy amount of money, tell him to go find someone who will

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
I highly doubt that this is true. But, if it is, Marner can f*** off.

He’s a great player, but if 8 years 88 million isn’t enough for him, then trade him and get a boatload back.

He’s not McDavid.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
This is turning into Nylander's situation all over again. I'd rather it be quite than here all this bull**** speculation.

Nah, people are just still so upset over the Nylander situation that they're easily triggered.

It's funny, people are acting like the season starts tomorrow, there is a lot of time to get everything figured out with this team moving forward.

Doesn't have to be today or tomorrow.

Reactions: NastyKnies

melikehockey

Jun 12, 2019
Next seasons headlines... Auston Matthews, the contract that killed Kyle Dubas' career.
There are 30 other NHL teams that would GLADLY trade for Auston Mathews and his contract, you will never get a fair return as you will be trading the best player in the deal though.

Reactions: Mad hatter
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad