Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Marner is a fantastic player but he's certainly not that and since we've overpaid the other guys we can no longer do that with Marner and still ice a competitive team

I'm quite perplexed by this because we've ****** up our other contracts we should continue to do that with Marner

Have you ever heard of the term if your in a hole put down the shovel and stop digging?
But if you are Marner you say, "I don't care. I just want what's coming to me".

The Leafs overpaid twice and will likely overpay a 3rd time.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Amazing how some go on and on about the "overpayments" for AM and WN and yet are willing to give Marner whatever he wants.
not only willing, but cheering for Marner to get paid as much as possible. They screamed at Dubas for not being strict enough with Nylander (which makes zero sense), and now that's totally out the window

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Is he? Based on what?

Mitch puts up more points, arguably drives the offense just as well, kills penalties and hasn't missed a quarter of each of the last two seasons.

If Matthews is better he certainly isn't so much better than he gets 11.6x5 and Mitch has to take 11x8.
Which franchise player did Matthews get to play with 5v5 this year?

Reactions: biotk

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
So...

Are you living vicariously through Matthews?

Why would I be? Right from the minute it was signed I have said that Matthews' contract was a bad deal. Before the contract was signed I was opposed to an overpay for him (although I think he would have easily been over sheeted that amount).

That is very different from the Marner fan boys who are will have a fit if their guy doesn't get a massive overpayment.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Of course. But you would think that the Raptors recent win would make people rethink what they want from this team.
You are right. The Leafs are between a rock and a hard place. They should just find someone to trade Marner with, and give Marner an ultimatum. Accept our deal and be the hometown hero or we will move you.

NastyKnies

Feb 20, 2010
Canada
Nah, people are just still so upset over the Nylander situation that they're easily triggered.

It's funny, people are acting like the season starts tomorrow, there is a lot of time to get everything figured out with this team moving forward.

Doesn't have to be today or tomorrow.
fair enough. I agree 100%

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
Marner's agent and camp did a fantastic job of inflating his perceived value all year by throwing ridiculous numbers at the wall until people started to believe them. Not sure why people believe overpaying Nylander by 300k is equal to overpaying Marner by 1.5 million but I guess that's how effective their PR campaign was.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Why would I be? Right from the minute it was signed I have said that Matthews' contract was a bad deal. Before the contract was signed I was opposed to an overpay for him (although I think he would have easily been over sheeted that amount).

That is very different from the Marner fan boys who are will have a fit if their guy doesn't get a massive overpayment.
We ALL live vicariously thru our favourite players. :)

Last edited:

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Why wouldn't he turn that down?

Matthews got 11.6x5. Why would Mitch take 11x8 when he's the better player?

Maybe 11x5 because centers get more and Matthews is the face, but less money AND more years? He'd be stupid to take it.

Five is better for Mitch because in 5 years Mitch is betting the cap will go up and he can negotiate a 8 year retirement contract then. His net lifetime income will be much greater if he goes 5yrs now then 8yrs on the contract after this one.

The thing is the Leafs will not go 5 with Mitch because they don't want to negotiate Matthews and Marner at the same time again.

I have zero issues with Mitch approaching this as a business deal and wanting to get as much money as possible out of Toronto but if Dubas makes an assessment that a rival is going to offer sheet him or if we can get a boat load of cheap high end talent for him I don't want to hear Mitch or his agent bitching and moaning about how this is is his home team and he wanted to stay at all costs. You can't play hard ball with management and not open yourself up to the possibility you won't be wearing a Leafs jersey in October.

Reactions: NiftyMits

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
You are right. The Leafs are between a rock and a hard place. They should just find someone to trade Marner with and give Marner an ultimatum.

Accept our deal and be the hometown boy or we will move you.

I agree and have said that before. Of course Marner's contract demands (just like Nylander's demands) hurt his trade value.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Matthews is a unicorn, he's the best pure goal scoring 5v5 center in recent league history

Marner is a fantastic player but he's certainly not that and since we've overpaid the other guys we can no longer do that with Marner and still ice a competitive team

I'm quite perplexed by this because we've ****** up our other contracts we should continue to do that with Marner

Have you ever heard of the term if your in a hole put down the shovel and stop digging?

Yeah, unfortunately Marner has to also agree for them to stop digging. And why should he? It's not his fault that Dubas paid Matthews that much.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Marner's agent and camp did a fantastic job of inflating his perceived value all year by throwing ridiculous numbers at the wall until people started to believe them. Not sure why people believe overpaying Nylander by 300k is equal to overpaying Marner by 1.5 million but I guess that's how effective their PR campaign was.
Yeah it worked remarkably well no doubt.

But the same negotiation tactics were used for Matthews and Nylander too.

Throw out some crazy, absurd off the wall numbers, repeat them over and over again, and people start to believe it.

Nylander is fully capable of living up to $7M, no problems. There is no conceivable way that Marner lives up to the demands he's putting out.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
Marner is by far my favourite leaf, watched his entire career in London. Saw him do so many amazing things there and now with the leafs. Buttttttt if he wants more than 11 million over 8 years he can sign an offer sheet and hit pavement. It’s laughable that people believe he’s a better player than Matthews. He’s certainly more fun to watch and a lovable player but the goal is to win a Stanley cup and 11 million for him won’t help achieve that.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If he’s actually turned down $11M x 8 then forget it. It’s over. That’s absurd.
I love Marner but I agree with you.

Call up Colorado and dangle Marner for Mikko. Then tell Marner the deal is close to being complete so he better sign ASAP if he wants to stay in Toronto.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
I didn't mean to plagiarize - TBH, I didn't see it.

You are being goofy. You didn't plagiarize. But going back weeks ago my position was offer Marner 9x5 (a little higher for a longer contract - say 10.5x8) and if that was not acceptable, ask him to give his contract demands, and shop him based on those. Put the ball in his court. Accept the Leafs best offer, or be heading to another team before July 1st.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Just stop talking.

Isn't that what people do on a discussion board? I think we are getting unraveled because of the Marner contract negotiations (& hopefully signing). The Marner situation seems like deja-vu and rather predictable as well.

And, I would think that getting Marner signed sooner versus later would be helpful so that they know how much money they have to play with.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
There are 30 other NHL teams that would GLADLY trade for Auston Mathews and his contract, you will never get a fair return as you will be trading the best player in the deal though.

On rare occasion the quantity works out better. We do have a top tier C already, two would be nice. The Lindros trade basically won Colorado a cup and for us, it could be the trade that balances our team out and allows us to take the next step.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
You are being goofy. You didn't plagiarize. But going back weeks ago my position was offer Marner 9x5 (a little higher for a longer contract - say 10.5x8) and if that was not acceptable, ask him to give his contract demands, and shop him based on those. Put the ball in his court. Accept the Leafs best offer, or be heading to another team before July 1st.
Not sure how I am being "goofy" but... okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad