Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
It's been reported, we can certainly debate the veracity of this claim but it's certainly not out of the realms of possibility there's some truth to it

I'm going to debate the merits of those numbers, just like most of us did when Nylander numbers hit the media

Well, I report its not true! You've heard it here first! :sarcasm:

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I think Mitch will sign for 6 years to satisfy Dubas this way he doesn't go free agency with 34. I think he signs at $9.2ish million. 5-6 years is meh but if he's saying no to 11 @ 8 years this might make sense. I wish he'd realize JT helped with his production big time but I guess not.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
But if you are Marner you say, "I don't care. I just want what's coming to me".

The Leafs overpaid twice and will likely overpay a 3rd time.
Yeah, unfortunately Marner has to also agree for them to stop digging. And why should he? It's not his fault that Dubas paid Matthews that much.

He certainly can, it could also get him shipped out of town and if his representatives do go around the league to solicit offer-sheets from other teams I'm more than happy to give him somewhere new to play

Even Nylander who held out for months wasn't that big of a prick

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Marner is by far my favourite leaf, watched his entire career in London. Saw him do so many amazing things there and now with the leafs. Buttttttt if he wants more than 11 million over 8 years he can sign an offer sheet and hit pavement. It’s laughable that people believe he’s a better player than Matthews. He’s certainly more fun to watch and a lovable player but the goal is to win a Stanley cup and 11 million for him won’t help achieve that.
I think he has the potential to be better than Matthews - over the course of their careers. He was also the better player in 2018-2019.

Having said that, I agree with you. 11 x 8 is more than enough.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Marner is by far my favourite leaf, watched his entire career in London. Saw him do so many amazing things there and now with the leafs. Buttttttt if he wants more than 11 million over 8 years he can sign an offer sheet and hit pavement. It’s laughable that people believe he’s a better player than Matthews. He’s certainly more fun to watch and a lovable player but the goal is to win a Stanley cup and 11 million for him won’t help achieve that.

It that he actually wants less, it's not that he wants more money, he wants a contract length (shorter) that sets him up for the next contract to max out. He wants the 5 years to bring him to UFA, then a max UFA contract.

Mark my words, the 3 year entry deals are gone the next CBA, it will be stretched to a 5 or 6 year entry deal. There is clearly an issue when a 21 year old star RFA can dictate terms like he is a star UFA.

Reactions: Brown Dog

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
He certainly can, it could also get him shipped out of town and if his representatives do go around the league to solicit offer-sheets from other teams I'm more than happy to give him somewhere new to play

Even Nylander who held out for months wasn't that big of a prick
Well Nylander didn't have to resort to that since the Leafs still had the space to fit him in.

Marner is in a different situation since Dubas is not up against a cap crunch and trying to squeeze as much out of this as possible. If Marner has to go get an offersheet it is what it is. It's a business, the owners treat it as such and the players can to.

Now if he comes back after crying about how he wanted to be here it's a bit different. But if he's willing to go somewhere else to get what he thinks he deserves then more power to him.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Mark my words, the 3 year entry deals are gone the next CBA, it will be stretched to a 5 or 6 year entry deal. There is clearly an issue when a 21 year old star RFA can dictate terms like he is a star UFA.
Not sure it will be gone but I agree with you - it's insane to have players this young turning down 8 x 11 and dictating the terms.

Reactions: TML Dynasty

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009

The issue is the fact that there's some arbitrary unwritten rule where UFAs deserve more than RFAs. They're both playing the same game, for the same teams, contributing to the same cause. It's a young mans league, pay the young men not the old ones. They're the ones driving the success.

Why should Mitch take less money cause he happened to become a star when he was 21 and not when he was 27?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Not sure it will be gone but I agree with you - it's insane to have players this young turning down 8 x 11 and dictating the terms.
I'm surprised there is a cap yet not tighter restrictions on cap percentage.
Say the first years are ELC, then RFA cap percentage cannot exceed 10% of the current negotiated cap.
Finally, UFA has max 15% of the current negotiated cap.

Arbitration has seemed to fail for players coming out of ELC to big, big money.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

There's no issue with elite players being able to have leverage negotiate a contract.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm surprised there is a cap yet not tighter restrictions on cap percentage.
Say the first years are ELC, then RFA cap percentage cannot exceed 10% of the current negotiated cap.
Finally, UFA has max 15% of the current negotiated cap.

Arbitration has seemed to fail for players coming out of ELC to big, big money.
The whole thing is insane - and not in the interest of the NHLPA or the teams. Top end players are eating up all of the cap and the lesser players play for cheap. Seems unfair.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Im gonna be one of the 1st people to say it
f*** marner if hes rejecting a 11/8 deal
I want those 1st round draftpicks offersheet his ass and bye.

Reactions: ORRFForever

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The issue is the fact that there's some arbitrary unwritten rule where UFAs deserve more than RFAs. They're both playing the same game, for the same teams, contributing to the same cause. It's a young mans league, pay the young men not the old ones. They're the ones driving the success.

Why should Mitch take less money cause he happened to become a star when he was 21 and not when he was 27?

Who says he is taking less money as an RFA. 11x8 would have given him the fourth highest cap next year - behind McDavid, Matthews and Karlsson. That is a grand total of 1 UFA cap hit above him at the moment. And it wasn't good enough.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Who says he is taking less money as an RFA. 11x8 would have given him the fourth highest cap next year - behind McDavid, Matthews and Karlsson. That is a grand total of 1 UFA cap hit above him at the moment. And it wasn't good enough.
the poster i was quoting was suggesting it's a problem that he wants 11x8 cause he's a rfa.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I'll share a sentiment I shared in the last Marner thread.

I am astonished how people are willing to give up so easily on Marner.

If this was 3 years ago, we be scratching and clawing and doing whatever we could to retain our superstar players.... heck, we didn't even have any back then!

Now, we're not even at the draft yet... and people are saying "f*** it", let him walk and I'll take the draft picks.

This is mind-boggling to me.

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
I highly doubt that this is true. But, if it is, Marner can **** off.

He’s a great player, but if 8 years 88 million isn’t enough for him, then trade him and get a boatload back.

He’s not McDavid.

You almost get that feeling that he is sulking about not being the poster boy for the Leafs. Big ego at play.

Trade him for the NY Rangers first, and Kreider+ picks.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I love Marner but I'm discouraged. I can see him wanting $11 but, if the rumour is true and he turned it down, well... like I said, I'm disappointed.

Anyway, I am off to cut the grass and to dream about one day signing a $11M 8 year contract of my own.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Love Marner, and really do want to keep him but added picks can set us up comfortably for the next decade or so. We're still a playoff team without him.

Reactions: biotk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad