Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyJoy

Jun 17, 2019
If they go 11, Nylander has to go IMO.

For Nylanders sake I hope he's traded away from this shitshow.
I kinda wish the leafs would do what you propose, dealing Nylander so they can pay Marner 2 mil more than Kuch (lol). Then you'd be stuck cheering for these bums that cant get out of the 1st rnd. They will not be competing for a cup woth 3 guys taking up more than 33 mil.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Wow, did he seriously turn down 11M over 8....
as much as I love Mitch, if this is true, might be best to look else where. not happy at all about this.
If he turned an 11mil x 8yrs down....I will personally pack his knick knacks in bubble wrap and drive him to the airport myself

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Also, it’s typical Leafs that when they finally do right and acquire young talent through the draft it comes at the start of an era where RFA’s suddenly have all the power and can demand absurd contracts.

tbh I think it's just that you're now really, really concerned with the dollar amount that RFAs make now that we're signing elite RFAs. There are reasonable comparables to these RFAs going back a decade relative to what the cap was back then.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Yeah it worked remarkably well no doubt.

But the same negotiation tactics were used for Matthews and Nylander too.

Throw out some crazy, absurd off the wall numbers, repeat them over and over again, and people start to believe it.

Nylander is fully capable of living up to $7M, no problems. There is no conceivable way that Marner lives up to the demands he's putting out.
How do you figure? Ive already shown the math that Nylanders output at his career high translates to almost 11mm x 6 years for marner based on his points output. It is telling that no one wants to tackle the math.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
I like how Matthews got his deal done and over with and took a number that was deemed to work for the team with less years so that he can resign for more. He gave a little to get a little. For me that was painless, and shows he's committed to making it all work. With how hard this negotiation is, you don't want to sign Marner to 11 x 5 cuz he'll be exploring his options in UFA after 5 years. Whereas I see Matty signing on for another handful of years (before he even hits free agency) at a higher dollar figure because the cap has gone up

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
He certainly can, it could also get him shipped out of town and if his representatives do go around the league to solicit offer-sheets from other teams I'm more than happy to give him somewhere new to play

Even Nylander who held out for months wasn't that big of a prick
And you know this how?

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
If this is true I hope the trade chatter picks up. The only problem I have is trying to figure out what team is crazy enough to pay Mitch 11m and do they have the assets to entice us?

Any thoughts?

Reactions: Mad hatter

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
If this is true I hope the trade chatter picks up. The only problem I have is trying to figure out what team is crazy enough to pay Mitch 11m and do they have the assets to entice us?

Any thoughts?

I have some thoughts

PSA: Friedman did not say that Marner's ask is $11m, he did not say that Marner turned down $11m. Friedman concedes in the video in the OP that he does not know what Marner's ask is. Everyone needs to be smarter and qualify your information.

It was not reported that Mitch Marner turned down an $11m offer.

In OP, Friedman speculates that negotiations are at a point where Leafs are willing to accept Marner's requested AAV if it's for 8 years.

Reactions: ACC1224

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Oh it's cause they want Nylander traded.

Marner being mega-overpaid means a much bigger chance of Nylander being traded for cap space.

It's pathetic.

For me given that it was money first, one of the big 3 has to go. It will not be AM so if Mitch's ask is absurb it should be him. If Dubas caves to Mitch, then it should be Willie.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Also, it’s typical Leafs that when they finally do right and acquire young talent through the draft it comes at the start of an era where RFA’s suddenly have all the power and can demand absurd contracts.
Yeah the media doesn't help at all either, every other day Marner this Marner that. offersheet, offersheet, offersheet.
I dont recall seeing anything on the other elite RFAs this offseason.
Marner is going to get paid the most out of the entire crop of RFA. life sucks being a Leafs fan.

Reactions: Brown Dog

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Wow, did he seriously turn down 11M over 8....
as much as I love Mitch, if this is true, might be best to look else where. not happy at all about this.
Is 11X8 better than 10.5 over 4 or 5 years for marner ? It seems like he would make more money in the long run on the shorter deal

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Yeah the media doesn't help at all either, every other day Marner this Marner that. offersheet, offersheet, offersheet.
I dont recall seeing anything on the other elite RFAs this offseason.
Marner is going to get paid the most out of the entire crop of RFA. life sucks being a Leafs fan.
Nah rantanen will match his contract if he wants to wait for marner to get signed. Rants just won't be offersheeted cuz of the avs cap situation .

Reactions: Oley49

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I like how Matthews got his deal done and over with and took a number that was deemed to work for the team with less years so that he can resign for more. He gave a little to get a little. For me that was painless, and shows he's committed to making it all work. With how hard this negotiation is, you don't want to sign Marner to 11 x 5 cuz he'll be exploring his options in UFA after 5 years. Whereas I see Matty signing on for another handful of years (before he even hits free agency) at a higher dollar figure because the cap has gone up

I see Matthews going the Malkin route, which would have him signing his second contract at 14% of cap x 8yrs next. If Marner does 5 years I could see that being the same for him as well. This has precedence for players who were comparably elite in their ELC that took shorter term on a team packed with young talent in order to fit a competitive team around them. I wouldn't see it being $11mx5, but more around $9-10mx5.

This does pose a challenge with Nylander, Marner and Matthews hitting UFA all at the same time. If that becomes the case, my initial hope would be that after 5-6yrs of playing together when that time comes that they would be a "group signing" at a reasonable hit to fit a team around them yet again. But who knows.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Is 11X8 better than 10.5 over 4 or 5 years for marner ? It seems like he would make more money in the long run on the shorter deal
Id rather 11/8 for him over 10.5/4 or 5.
with cap going up it's a no brainer the 11/8 would hold better long term value.
too bad Matthews/Marner's deals couldnt come next season where there prob is nothing standing in the way

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I see Matthews going the Malkin route, which would have him signing his second contract at 14% of cap x 8yrs next. If Marner does 5 years I could see that being the same for him as well. This has precedence for players who were comparably elite in their ELC that took shorter term on a team packed with young talent in order to fit a competitive team around them. I wouldn't see it being $11mx5, but more around $9-10mx5.

This does pose a challenge with Nylander, Marner and Matthews hitting UFA all at the same time. If that becomes the case, my initial hope would be that after 5-6yrs of playing together when that time comes that they would be a "group signing" at a reasonable hit to fit a team around them yet again. But who knows.
If the past year has shown anything. this will not be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad