Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They do have lots of time and Dubas did say Marner was his #1 priority. If it was me I would give them my best take it or leave it 3, 5 and 8 year offers. Decline all and we move you.
I agree but I would not move him until i see the real OS. Under 10.65+ and I sign him. Over that and I take the 4 1st rounders. In a trade it would be difficult to get 4 1st rounders. Then OS Point who is better anyways at 10.6M so only giving up 2 1st rounders. We get better player and 2 1st rounders. and if tampa signs then we screw up CAP for one of our 2 rivals.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Maybe he did who knows Didn't he say he has a July first deadline or something ? Idk dubas will prob be busier with the draft unless he wants to move marner then

He has some free time since we do not have a 1st. We have not had much success past the second so he should concentrate on Marner and trades.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I agree but I would not move him until i see the real OS. Under 10.65+ and I sign him. Over that and I take the 4 1st rounders. In a trade it would be difficult to get 4 1st rounders. Then OS Point who is better anyways at 10.6M so only giving up 2 1st rounders. We get better player and 2 1st rounders. and if tampa signs then we screw up CAP for one of our 2 rivals.

Shrewd but no offersheets are coming for Marner. Dubas focusing on Marner might get duped by a $4M OS to Kappy in which case he may not be able to match and would not receive much compensation. I hope the boys do not let things slide like they did with Nylander last summer.

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
could it just be that this fan base has never had the opportunity to sign top nhl franchise players before, let alone sign 3 at the same time, which is causing all this panic or are we getting taken to the tool shed by the players

Reactions: mavis

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
IMO, Mitch will definitely be going to test the UFA waters along with Matthews at contracts end ... bookmark this post!!

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
But if you are Marner you say, "I don't care. I just want what's coming to me".

The Leafs overpaid twice and will likely overpay a 3rd time.
if payment is based on future projections then isn't it too early to determine over payment?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
could it just be that this fan base has never had the opportunity to sign top nhl franchise players before, let alone sign 3 at the same time, which is causing all this panic or are we getting taken to the tool shed by the players

Former :)

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Just trade Kadri, Marner, Zai and Brown for McDavid, Benning and PoolParty.
That’s a good deal for both teams.
Drai still have a playmaker as good as McDavid in Marner on his line.
Zai will QB their PP.
Kadri will be their 2C and Brown add depth for them.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
if payment is based on future projections then isn't it too early to determine over payment?

The 40 million boys have to lead us far in the playoffs, nothing else matters. I couldn’t even care less about individual trophies or what have you. Playoffs is where they will make their $$$

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Some kept saying Willie is to blame.... but what if Willie signed for 6mil/yr and Matthews signed at 11.6/8 yrs, do you think Marner will not ask for what he is asking now?
With all the RFA unsign and the cap being lower than expected, would be interesting to see if any GMs/owners propose the Bird rights idea from the NBA.
I don't believe Nylander has anything to do with Marners negotiation. He's neither an internal nor external comparable.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I'll share a sentiment I shared in the last Marner thread.

I am astonished how people are willing to give up so easily on Marner.

If this was 3 years ago, we be scratching and clawing and doing whatever we could to retain our superstar players.... heck, we didn't even have any back then!

Now, we're not even at the draft yet... and people are saying "**** it", let him walk and I'll take the draft picks.

This is mind-boggling to me.

Cap realities dude...and if I am looking at losing someone I like the 4 1st's with Marner rather than next to nothing for Nylander (bag of pucks may be an overpay) also look at the way this has been played, Marner's representation and Dad have made him the problem not being able to shut their yaps...if the kid's representation wants to play hardball I say bean them and send them on their way to whatever hinterland will be able to sign him (not a ton of cap room around the league)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Shrewd but no offersheets are coming for Marner. Dubas focusing on Marner might get duped by a $4M OS to Kappy in which case he may not be able to match and would not receive much compensation. I hope the boys do not let things slide like they did with Nylander last summer.
Understood and i would match Kappy too at 4M. When you stop and think about it for a minute what is the NHL really gonna do if we are over the CAP. Are they gonna kill their golden goose? It is kinda like Trump on the US deficit when he says he really does not care what the number is. What is anyone gonna do about it?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
No, it's the "poisoning". :laugh:

Reactions: The Spring Samauri

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Understood and i would match Kappy too at 4M. When you stop and think about it for a minute what is the NHL really gonna do if we are over the CAP. Are they gonna kill their golden goose? It is kinda like Trump on the US deficit when he says he really does not care what the number is. What is anyone gonna do about it?

I asked what the penalty was for going over the cap last year and never got an answer. There must be something or somebody would have gone over it by now I would think. The honour system would not work :)

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
thread title makes it sound like this actually happened but it's just a guy thinking out loud
Yep, the "reportedly" should be changed to "some guy believes that".
Not nearly as dramatic though.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
If this is what Dubas gives him on a bridge deal, then he's a complete idiot.

Might be his only way to keep the deal under $11M at this point.

I don't think marner wants to go that short.

Power lies with the player. It's not his job on the line. The GM made a promise to the fans and the organization that he would keep the big three. If he doesn't, he's done. Unless it's some insane trade that ownership sees as beneficial. But the ownership group has no intention of letting marner get away. They see him as a cash cow.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I asked what the penalty was for going over the cap last year and never got an answer. There must be something or somebody would have gone over it by now I would think.
I don't think you can. The contract or deal wouldn't be approved by the league if it puts you over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad