Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Cap realities dude...and if I am looking at losing someone I like the 4 1st's with Marner rather than next to nothing for Nylander (bag of pucks may be an overpay) also look at the way this has been played, Marner's representation and Dad have made him the problem not being able to shut their yaps...if the kid's representation wants to play hardball I say bean them and send them on their way to whatever hinterland will be able to sign him (not a ton of cap room around the league)

What if you can keep both Marner and Nylander!?! I know, its a difficult concept to grasp! ;)

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Might be his only way to keep the deal under $11M at this point.

I don't think marner wants to go that short.

Power lies with the player. It's not his job on the line. The GM made a promise to the fans and the organization that he would keep the big three. If he doesn't, he's done. Unless it's some insane trade that ownership sees as beneficial. But the ownership group has no intention of letting marner get away. They see him as a cash cow.

Simple solution to most of the Leafs current problems - trade Marner.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Might be his only way to keep the deal under $11M at this point.

I don't think marner wants to go that short.

Power lies with the player. It's not his job on the line. The GM made a promise to the fans and the organization that he would keep the big three. If he doesn't, he's done. Unless it's some insane trade that ownership sees as beneficial. But the ownership group has no intention of letting marner get away. They see him as a cash cow.

I'm just floored at the idea that a bridge deal would cost the team that much on a short-term deal. If they're willing to offer that much for two years, take the hit and pay him the $500-750K more and lock him up for an addition four to six years beyond that.

The purpose of a bridge deal is to get the player to take a bit less with the expectation he'll hit a bigger payday two/three years down the line. To blow a huge wad like that on a bridge would make me lose the marginal faith I have in Dubas when it comes to negotiations.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Rangers might be desperate enough to pay. Mitch fits their rebuild.

yeah but what are you getting back that fits in our window? short of somehow stealing their 1st round pick (which I just can't see the rangers giving up for anything less than Matthews+Marner ) I don't think the Rangers are really all that interesting based on team needs

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Trading other guys make more sense than marner.

If they can trade Zaits, Marleau and Brown they are okay. Just can't add anyone.

Beyond that you look at kadri or Nylander.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
yeah but what are you getting back that fits in our window? short of somehow stealing their 1st round pick (which I just can't see the rangers giving up for anything less than Matthews+Marner ) I don't think the Rangers are really all that interesting based on team needs

Oh man this is my cue to log off for the day.

doorbag

Jun 26, 2008
Just trade Kadri, Marner, Zai and Brown for McDavid, Benning and PoolParty.
That’s a good deal for both teams.
Drai still have a playmaker as good as McDavid in Marner on his line.
Zai will QB their PP.
Kadri will be their 2C and Brown add depth for them.

Hahahahahahashhahahaha

Reactions: Paradoc

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Trading other guys make more sense than marner.

If they can trade Zaits, Marleau and Brown they are okay. Just can't add anyone.

Beyond that you look at kadri or Nylander.

No trading Marner is what makes sense. Trading a whole pile of players (probably without any luck as in the case with Marleau) so you can ridiculously overpay one player makes zero sense.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
What if you can keep both Marner and Nylander!?! I know, its a difficult concept to grasp! ;)

obviously I would rather keep them both and no it isn't a hard concept at all...it depends on Marner and his agent...what I am saying is if he's going to go for ex: 11.16 x 5 then move him and don't think twice about it...obviously I would rther keep Marner but keeping them both isnt bad assuming Marner is realistic

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Everyone just looks at big salaries and assumes doom. If you actually go do the work and make a Cap Friendly build, there's actually plenty of ways to make it work. If you trade Brown and one of Kapanen or Johnsson, you even have a surprising amount of room to work with on the defense, and trading them covers the assets-out needed to do it via trade as well.

It's like everyone around me is paranoid, ducking for cover and pointing fingers, and I'm sitting here excited to see what happens.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
obviously I would rather keep them both and no it isn't a hard concept at all...it depends on Marner and his agent...what I am saying is if he's going to go for ex: 11.16 x 5 then move him and don't think twice about it...obviously I would rther keep Marner but keeping them both isnt bad assuming Marner is realistic

You can fit Marner at 11.6, and Nylander at 7 into our cap structure if you have to. Whats the problem exactly?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I asked what the penalty was for going over the cap last year and never got an answer. There must be something or somebody would have gone over it by now I would think. The honour system would not work :)
NHL tells the teams they have to be CAP compliant by certain date at start of season. But many teams are over in the summer. So Dubas tries to trade Z and Marleau. Then you can also play with less players on the roster too. And you can shift guys to the minors to free some up if they clear waivers like maybe Z. and then is my point. once you have exhausted those vehicles and you can't make a trade then what? what will the NHL do? this is my point. i can't see them telling Leafs you can't play games. it would cost the NHL mega millions to payback the season ticket holders and sponsors. That alone would bankrupt the league.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
You can fit Marner at 11.6, and Nylander at 7 into our cap structure if you have to. Whats the problem exactly?

In a perfect world here:

Bracco/Moore? Matthews Nylander <<<<<<<< Sticking Matthews back with another Rookie...
Marner Tavares Hyman
Kapanen Kadri Johnsson
Moore/Bracco Gauthier Marchment?

Rielley _______ <<<<<<<This right here is the problem great to fit them in but we still lack Depth in our D as well as a top line RHD
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Borgmann

Andersen
_________ <<<<<<<<<<<<Also this as Freddy is routinely overworked

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Because you'd have to be very "special" to think that an RFA of Nylander's ability soliciting offersheets wouldn't hit the media
You don't think agents talk to gm's on a regular basis? That is a bit naive

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

It's funny all the posters that have said the Tavares signing caused all of this and the solution would be not to sign him in the first place. So, ummm, would you take John Tavares at $11M x 8 years or Marner @ $11.5M x 5 years? I have my opinion, I wonder how many people on here can be honest about theirs.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
In a perfect world here:

Bracco/Moore? Matthews Nylander <<<<<<<< Sticking Matthews back with another Rookie...
Marner Tavares Hyman
Kapanen Kadri Johnsson
Moore/Bracco Gauthier Marchment?

Rielley _______ <<<<<<<This right here is the problem great to fit them in but we still lack Depth in our D as well as a top line RHD
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Borgmann

Andersen
_________ <<<<<<<<<<<<Also this as Freddy is routinely overworked

With our cap structure, it can fit!

A] Matthews @11.634M
B] Tavares @ 11M
C] Marner @11M
D] Nylander @ 6.963M

1) 6M (Acquisition)
2) 5M (Andersen)
3) 5M (Rielly)
4) 4.5M (Kadri)
5) 4M (Muzzin)
6) 2.25 (Hyman)
7) 2.75M (Acquisition)
8) 1.6M (Acquisition)

For the top 12 players, we'd spend ~ 71.75M Leaving us with ~10M to sign the bottom 11 players.

9) 1.5M (Acquisition)
10) 1.25M (Acquisition)
11) 0.925 (Mikheyev)
12) 0.925 (Kivihalme/Korshkov/Engvall)
13) 0.863 (Dermott/Liljegren)
14) 0.842 (Bracco)
15) 0.775 (Moore)
16) 0.775 (Petan)
17) 0.750 (Rosen)
18) 0.750 (Sparks/Back-up)
19) 0.675 (Gauthier/Holl)

These 19 players + Matthews + Marner + Nylander + Tavares = ~ 81M in cap space.

Fill in the blanks as you see fit:

_______- Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev/Petan - Kadri - Bracco/Moore
Mikheyev/Petan - _______ - Bracco/Moore
Gauthier

Rielly - ________
Muzzin - ________
Dermott - Rosen
Kivihalme, Holl

Andersen
_______

Have approximately 14.5 M to fill those holes.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
You don't think agents talk to gm's on a regular basis? That is a bit naive

There's a difference between talking to GM'S and actively soliciting an offersheet for a player, that **** is getting into the public arena

If Marner starts soliciting offersheets in the RFA window how long before we know? I'd give it an hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad