Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Amazing how some go on and on about the "overpayments" for AM and WN and yet are willing to give Marner whatever he wants.

not me, darlin'.
I'm consistent.

I thought Nylander was overpaid.
Matthews was "fine" but i hate the years.
if Dubas overpays on Marner, i'll cop a fit.

we're literally making moves to shed cap and we didn't even win anything.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
It's funny all the posters that have said the Tavares signing caused all of this and the solution would be not to sign him in the first place. So, ummm, would you take John Tavares at $11M x 8 years or Marner @ $11.5M x 5 years? I have my opinion, I wonder how many people on here can be honest about theirs.

I would take Tavares over Marner - easily. Tavares has shown throughout his career that he can produce without good linemates. Marner hasn't.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Just for the record id much rather have our 3headed monster but if marner turned down a 11/8 offer its not gonna work for us. I want the cup with Matthews Nylander and marner on the team.

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
You can fit Marner at 11.6, and Nylander at 7 into our cap structure if you have to. Whats the problem exactly?

Are the leafs able to fill in the two biggest issues especially if Zaitsev is traded? Two top for RD don’t seem to be cheap or easy to find.

Edit. I just seen your post above this. I still think they may need to move Kadri and a pick to get a good dman. Then try and get a cheaper but physical PK 3c. Who knows though.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
sure, here's what Marner and his camp have done:
-Publicly criticized Matthews and Nylander for not taking discounts
-Publicly accused Toronto of low-balling Marner while also refusing to negotiate during the season
-Leaked through the media that they would seek out offer sheets and hoped to negotiate with other teams
-Came forward publicly to talk about how Marner should be captain
Now he's allegedly turning down more than fair deals because he has a skewed idea of what he's worth. If the reports are wrong I'll take it back, but it doesn't look great for him. Obviously none of this is irreparable damage, but it's easy to see why fans are turning on him and the Leafs are now forced to consider trading him
Nylander would have been MURDERED for one! of this bullshits but marner is everythin because #hometownboi #goodoldcanadianboi

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I would take Tavares over Marner - easily. Tavares has shown throughout his career that he can produce without good linemates. Marner hasn't.
yup , that horrible group he left behind on the Island collapsed without him

Reactions: Silver Tuna

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
With our cap structure, it can fit!

A] Matthews @11.634M
B] Tavares @ 11M
C] Marner @11M
D] Nylander @ 6.963M

1) 6M (Acquisition)
2) 5M (Andersen)
3) 5M (Rielly)
4) 4.5M (Kadri)
5) 4M (Muzzin)
6) 2.25 (Hyman)
7) 2.75M (Acquisition)
8) 1.6M (Acquisition)

For the top 12 players, we'd spend ~ 71.75M Leaving us with ~10M to sign the bottom 11 players.

9) 1.5M (Acquisition)
10) 1.25M (Acquisition)
11) 0.925 (Mikheyev)
12) 0.925 (Kivihalme/Korshkov/Engvall)
13) 0.863 (Dermott/Liljegren)
14) 0.842 (Bracco)
15) 0.775 (Moore)
16) 0.775 (Petan)
17) 0.750 (Rosen)
18) 0.750 (Sparks/Back-up)
19) 0.675 (Gauthier/Holl)

These 19 players + Matthews + Marner + Nylander + Tavares = ~ 81M in cap space.

Fill in the blanks as you see fit:

_______- Tavares - Marner
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Mikheyev/Petan - Kadri - Bracco/Moore
Mikheyev/Petan - _______ - Bracco/Moore
Gauthier

Rielly - ________
Muzzin - ________
Dermott - Rosen
Kivihalme, Holl

Andersen
_______

Have approximately 14.5 M to fill those holes.
So we added 1 RD and lost Kaps, Johns, browns, and Gards hmmm.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's hilarious watching Marner fans try to convince people that Tavares does nothing but get fed tap ins by Marner, as if he didn't finish 2nd in scoring with Okposo and Bailey as his main linemates in 14/15. Tavares is also the defensive engine on that line, along with Hyman

Reactions: stopclickbait

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's funny all the posters that have said the Tavares signing caused all of this and the solution would be not to sign him in the first place. So, ummm, would you take John Tavares at $11M x 8 years or Marner @ $11.5M x 5 years? I have my opinion, I wonder how many people on here can be honest about theirs.
Marner pretty easily but really no reason not to have both.
Tavares plays a much harder game, he won't be the same player by the time Marner hits his peak.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Nylander was maybe overpaid by 1/2 million a year or so I gather. If he had of signed for 6.3 million a year would it be helpful at all right now, I can’t see how. Nylander’s contract really isn’t that bad I don’t think and not sure how much barring it really has with Marner’s contract. If anything Dubas could say, “Willie is a better goal scorer than you so why do you deserve 4.5 million a season more then him?”​

Reactions: HomerJLeafs

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
In a perfect world here:

Bracco/Moore? Matthews Nylander
Marner Tavares Hyman
Kapanen Kadri Johnsson
Moore/Bracco Gauthier Marchment?

Rielley _______ <<<<<<<This right here is the problem
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Borgmann

Andersen
_________ <<<<<<<<<<<<Also this
Line 1 would never work. Bracco terrible at getting pucks. Willy terrible at getting pucks. Matty is ok at it but not great. Line 2 would work as all 3 guys can get pucks.
Moore Matty Bracco
Hyman Tavares Marner
Kappy Kadri Nylander

Package up AJ to download Z. Then send $$$ + Marleau to ZONA - flip them $10M cash - that should do it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Nylander was maybe overpaid by 1/2 million a year or so I gather. If he had of signed for 6.3 million a year would it be helpful at all right now, I can’t see how. Nylander’s contract really isn’t that bad I don’t think and not sure how much barring it really has with Marner’s contract. If anything Dubas could say, “Willie is a better goal scorer than you so why do you deserve 4.5 million a season more then him?”​

Nylander isn't overpaid at all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK AND LOUDER FOR THE BIASED MORONS

There's no convincing anyone.

There's an argument for Matthews. Mitch Marner will likely get a lot more than his projection and comparables dictate as well, but William Nylander signed for less than his projection and in the same area as his comparables.

He's guilty of having a poor December and January after missing camp and the first two months. After that, his scoring and production started increasing back to normal levels.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If Marner DOES sign for over 11 mill, that means we have 3 of the 5 highest paid players in the NHL lol.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
If he signs Marner for more than 11x8, Dubas losing his job is reasonable.

Whatever number he signs him for, it will have been Shanahan approved, just like Willie and AM. KD will not be fired over the Marner handling, it did not occur in a vacuum.

Mad hatter

Go Leafs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Acton Ontario
Nylander isn't overpaid at all.
LOUDER FOR THE PEOPLE IN THE BACK AND LOUDER FOR THE BIASED MORONS
I think because he was so far behind all last season, from the holdout, people forget how good he really is. The worlds showed us again his talent level I believe, but people will say it’s because of bigger ice, less hitting, that is why. When he gets to the 30 goals 40 assist range this year we’ll be talking about what a great contract he has.

taurine330

Nov 28, 2015
Stockholm
I have been a huge Marner fan but with the crap he has been pulling off lately I can't really side with him.

At this point he is making me hope we trade him or get 4 firsts for him.

Reactions: biotk

NyIander

Feb 18, 2019
Honestly this team would be better off waiting for him to sign an offer sheet and grab the 4 first round picks. The team that offers him a ridiculous salary most likely will end up being a lower ranked team in the coming years, and the Leafs will reap those benefits. Dubas has all the leverage if he handles this situation correctly. Send him packing if there is an offer that is of equal or higher value to the compensation of 4 first rounders in the coming days. Keep Kapanen and Johnsson on reasonable contracts, Tavares does not need a winger like Marner to produce.

The way Marner's camp has handled this situation has been completely unprofessional and with no class. I would not be mad to see him leave for the return mentioned above. This team has several quality wingers in the system that should not be sacrificed for one terrible contract. Marner is not equal to Auston Matthews - and his agent is absurd to make that comparison.

Reactions: biotk and Al14
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad