Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It actually didn't lower his remaining years cap hit in the slightest. That was a misunderstood internet rumour.

Nylander actually recieved 42 million in real dollars. Divided by 6 seasons it's 6.96 aav.

No remaining year cap hit reduction.
It did. His contract is a 7.5 MM 6 year contract, pro-rated in the first year due to not playing and balance out through the remaining years. He received 42 million sure but you can't pay a player for not playing so he didn't. His cap hit is even over 6 years but his work in total is 93.3% of 6 years. 1 year at 60% and 5 at 100%

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
It did. His contract is a 7.5 MM 6 year contract, pro-rated in the first year due to not playing and balance out through the remaining years. He received 42 million sure but you can't pay a player for not playing so he didn't. His cap hit is even over 6 years but his work in total is 93.3% of 6 years. 1 year at 60% and 5 at 100%
I'm just saying that if they agreed to 42 million in REAL actual money x 6 on July 1st, as opposed to Dec 1st, Nylander would have the precise same cap hit years 1-6.

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
I'm just saying that if they agreed to 42 million in REAL actual money x 6 on July 1st, as opposed to Dec 1st, Nylander would have the precise same cap hit years 1-6.
I’m sure that the leafs offered that but Nylander waited until the last minute to take it. He wasn’t interested in giving the team 1/3 of a season of free labour.
Leafs offered and both held firm.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Hey you are right. Had to look that up.

Thought the talking heads said it was suppose to be reduced.

Just another reason not to listen to them anymore.

Throw more waffles is likely the most accurate poster on this board.

While his opinions may not be shared by all, the accuracy of his posts are second to none.

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
Between all the contract stuff this last year or so, losing in the first round again, and the Raptors winning, my interest in the NHL is at an all time low.

Reactions: SnizzMitch

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I know it is semantics but the cap system is purposely set up to avoid screwing with the first year by engineering holdouts. Because players only get paid while on the roster, a different system would have been a cap hit that looks like this:
4.5mm
7.5mm
7.5mm
7.5mm
7.5mm
7.5mm

instead of :
7mm
7mm
7mm
7mm
7mm
7mm
7mm

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I’m sure that the leafs offered that but Nylander waited until the last minute to take it. He wasn’t interested in giving the team 1/3 of a season of free labour.
Leafs offered and both held firm.
Under that line of reasoning, I agree.

I've long maintained that if another player says that they want the Nylander Contract, they would refer to the officially listed 45 million over 6 FULL seasons, and not the 42 million over 5.6 seasons.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Maybe ,do what I do. Just watch game sevens.

I have almost no interest any more in the Toronto Maple leafs and my best friend growing up, became the Leafs GM and I got to become great friends with Gilmour, Clark, and Darce and Shayne.

But no, not interested if a kid like Marner wants to be paid like that. I am not watching him. Not win a playoff series and ask for that kind of money.

Not watching.

I don't like him, never did. And turning this down. Go take your first playoff series losses somewhere else and get us some draft picks.

Last edited:

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Its just getting to expensive and weird for me guys. Just too weird.

Someone is going to be left without a chair when the music stops.

Marner might get his money from someone only to realize too late that he was used as a pawn for other's agendas. He may even feign happiness but his heart will know the truth.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Maybe ,do what I do. Just watch game sevens.

I have almost no interest any more in the Toronto Maple leafs and my best friend growing up, became the Leafs GM and I got to become great friends with Gilmour, Clark, and Darce and Shayne.

But no, not interested if a kid like Marner wants to be paid like that. I am not watching him. Not win a playoff series and ask for that kind of money.

Not watching.

the kids that generate so much excitement, who were starting to regenerate my love for the team, are causing me to hate the team these days.

I hope that changes once all are re-signed and are playing hockey again.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
the kids that generate so much excitement, who were starting to regenerate my love for the team, are causing me to hate the team these days.

I hope that changes once all are re-signed and are playing hockey again.

Once you know who these players really are you can't unknow it. How do you watch the game and believe these players are really putting it all on the line to win when none of them would even give a slight discount to ice a better team? To keep the team together? If you ask a player what they would give up to win the Cup they would say a lot. But when contract negotiation time comes around they show that they won't give up anything to increase their chances of winning the Cup and will do everything in their power to increase their salary reducing their chances of winning. I went from an NHL fanatic to someone who completely stopped watching the NHL for around a decade. Knew nothing about what was going on. Cup winners? No idea. I was doing other things with my time. Was far more productive. Should probably return to that.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Once you know who these players really are you can't unknow it. How do you watch the game and believe these players are really putting it all on the line to win when none of them would even give a slight discount to ice a better team? To keep the team together? If you ask a player what they would give up to win the Cup they would say a lot. But when contract negotiation time comes around they show that they won't give up anything to increase their chances of winning the Cup and will do everything in their power to increase their salary reducing their chances of winning. I went from an NHL fanatic to someone who completely stopped watching the NHL for around a decade. Knew nothing about what was going on. Cup winners? No idea. I was doing other things with my time. Was far more productive. Should probably return to that.

Money, brand, sponsorship dollars, the social media train are becoming the priority...yep, saying they want to win, but not conceding a dollar (they don't even want fair market value anymore, but want massive overpayments) to help build a winner is simply paying lip service, and you gotta be a fool to believe in all that. This team and these kids hasn't won a dang thing, and they want to be paid like champs, the highest in the league...they are really losing sight of the big picture.

Reactions: dsred and biotk

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
A very dramatic step of words now and all this might fall like dominoes....... 2013 was the last time any player was offerered the sheet. Not the white sheet, but the offer one. Ryan O'Reilly was the player then sire.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
image.jpg

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
The more these RFAs win in negotiations the worse off the team is.

If it takes one hard line stance to force a correction so be it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
A million things can happen between now and free agency - an injury, a decrease in production, a drop in the salary cap, etc. I'd sleep better at night with an 8 year deal.

A bird in hand, Mitch, a bird in hand.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
The more these RFAs win in negotiations the worse off the team is.

If it takes one hard line stance to force a correction so be it.
Do you want the Leafs to take a hard line stance with Marner or another team with their RFA?

I'd rather someone else make a stand.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

I think Dubas seeing what Masai did with the Raptors realizes that in the end, you need to build a team to win, that everyone has to buy into the structure of the team...and of course, there's more than one way to build a champion! Good for him to be standing up for the Toronto Maple Leafs...folks are forgetting that it's a privilege to play for this historic franchise...the team doesn't need any one single player who doesn't want to commit to help build a winner...life goes forward...and the Leafs will receive a handsome package for Marner if he leaves...the Leafs get the cap space to sign players and the picks as trade chips or for building the future.

This line really stuck out:

"We'll continue to do what's right for our organization and roll from there."

Last edited:

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Money, brand, sponsorship dollars, the social media train are becoming the priority...yep, saying they want to win, but not conceding a dollar (they don't even want fair market value anymore, but want massive overpayments) to help build a winner is simply paying lip service, and you gotta be a fool to believe in all that. This team and these kids hasn't won a dang thing, and they want to be paid like champs, the highest in the league...they are really losing sight of the big picture.

I am sure we all remember being young, setting the hockey nets up on the street, playing with friends and imagining that we were playing to win the Stacks of Money Cup. But I don't blame this all on the players. Things have changed since I was young. Playing competitively costs big money. And most of these players have agents polluting their minds from the time they are 12.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Do you want the Leafs to take a hard line stance with Marner or another team with their RFA?

I think I want Dubas to hold firm on less than 10M unless Mitch signs for 7-8 years.

A) I think Marner would ultimately cave.

B) if he doesn't cave it will be better for the Leafs in the long run in future negotiations if agents know they can't bend Dubas over.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I think I want Dubas to hold firm on less than 10M unless Mitch signs for 7-8 years.

A) I think Marner would ultimately cave.

B) if he doesn't cave it will be better for the Leafs in the long run in future negotiations if agents know they can't bend Dubas over.
Fair enough.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo

I'd rather someone else make a stand.

They offered him 11x8. This isn't about the Leafs taking a hard stance. This is about if the organization has any backbone left at all. I suspect the answer to that is no. Remember when people used to laugh about Eichel being the GM of the Sabres?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad