Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I don't think marner was ever signing before Mathews.

His team is too full of envy and want payback for the perceived slight.
That's fair.

But I've been slighted by companies I've worked for and it hardens you. It makes you want your pound of flesh. Having said that, $88M buys a lot of flesh.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
They thought "With Nylander we can make a run for the Cup". Didn't they approach him to make a deal? They also overpaid Nylander so...
Thought he signed the deal they had been presenting all along or very similar, so that'd strike out the last two. I expect they felt Nylander would make them stronger, he didn't really and they were in good shape when he signed.Hopefully he does improve the team going forward

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Thought he signed the deal they had been presenting all along or very similar, so that'd strike out the last two. I expect they felt Nylander would make them stronger, he didn't really and they were in good shape when he signed.Hopefully he does improve the team going forward
You may be right.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Cool, the same coach didn't play our biggest game breaker in the last period of our season.

He also played Marleau and Brown a **** ton too.

how come those same game breakers didn't end it in game 6 and were run over in game 7 ... but you think if they got an extra shift or 2 in the 3rd, the leafs would have won ... Marleau and brown played their regular shifts an did ok

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
his first full season that he met the NHL's criteria for being a rookie is the one I'm referencing, 25 games is the threshold.

the point totals in their best ELC year omits the (massive) filter of luck, which was fine for Pasta and very bad to Nylander. If luck wasn't a thing, a player like McDavid would have a shooting % and OIsh% near 100% because better talent could just will you to success on every attempt.

Anyway, I agree that at this point there's no comparison between the two, but it's the ELC work that was under considerations for their last signings. Pasta is outperforming his contract by a huge margin, but I think Nylander will suprise us in a very good way as well - he has had a very unlucky career so far and is a dominant possession player

22 games = ELC year.............. I consider that a rookie. I get your point though, not arguing a full season, which pasta never had till year 3... just saying.

Even in total ELC, Nylander edges him by 0.01% PPG if I remember correctly. Which has always been my argument for Nylander, than I am countered with the ages, so I use the 20yo seasons... the 70 Vs. 61, and Nylander has a valid argument. His final year Nylander lacked PPP, which at a normal rate puts him into the 70s point range.... So I get the argument, even on both sides.

The bold.... 100%

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
22 games = ELC year.............. I consider that a rookie. I get your point though, not arguing a full season, which pasta never had till year 3... just saying.

Even in total ELC, Nylander edges him by 0.01% PPG if I remember correctly. Which has always been my argument for Nylander, than I am countered with the ages, so I use the 20yo seasons... the 70 Vs. 61, and Nylander has a valid argument. His final year Nylander lacked PPP, which at a normal rate puts him into the 70s point range.... So I get the argument, even on both sides.

The bold.... 100%
I think we have a tendency to look at what Pastrnak has done since he re-signed and project that backwards as the standard where really he's just way better than he's being paid to be.

I'm optimistic on Nylander though, I think 70+pt seasons will be pretty normal for him and he can be a center if we need that. With the Kevin Hayes contracts being doled out, he won't look overpaid for long

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I think we have a tendency to look at what Pastrnak has done since he re-signed and project that backwards as the standard where really he's just way better than he's being paid to be.

I'm optimistic on Nylander though, I think 70+pt seasons will be pretty normal for him and he can be a center if we need that. With the Kevin Hayes contracts being doled out, he won't look overpaid for long

Hindsight is always perfect. People seem to forget that.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Marner is saying no on an $11 million/8 year deal, I think you just terminate negotiations, spend the money elsewhere and just get on with life. If another team offer sheets him, let him go. If not, hold onto his rights and let the right deal present itself down the road.

Reactions: biotk

Bigmarycombo

Jul 15, 2017
When Nylander was holding out

Talking heads and insiders said he wanted 8.5
Or he wasn’t signing.

Marner fans reaction trade his greedy ass out of town

Nylander fans reactions don’t believe the talking heads and insiders they are just giving information based on nothing concrete
Just their opinion

Marner not signed yet

Talking heads and insiders saying he refused 11 million

Nylander fans reaction trade his greedy ass out of town

Marner fans reaction don’t believe the talking heads and insiders
They are giving information based on nothing concrete just their opinion

Both sides getting upset over nothing

Reactions: Babcocks Marner

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
I'm all for a Marner overpayment now, but the 7.5 offer was a pretty fair offer for last summer
You didnt read the post. The price I game was to hedge risk. My analysis was pretty straight forward and hardly prescient. My point projection and stress test is absolutely the right analysis to do with another ELC year left. 7.5 would have been ok had he been at the end of his ELC.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I just don't like the fact he wanted 9AAV last summer and then has a great year and bumps his AAV up another 3AAV to what 12AAV? that's a bit bothersome but I get it

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
When Nylander was holding out

Talking heads and insiders said he wanted 8.5
Or he wasn’t signing.

Marner fans reaction trade his greedy ass out of town

Nylander fans reactions don’t believe the talking heads and insiders they are just giving information based on nothing concrete
Just their opinion

Marner not signed yet

Talking heads and insiders saying he refused 11 million

Nylander fans reaction trade his greedy ass out of town

Marner fans reaction don’t believe the talking heads and insiders
They are giving information based on nothing concrete just their opinion

Both sides getting upset over nothing

One thing with the Nylander negotiations is he wasn't looking to set salary records for a winger and all the whispers surrounding the Marner talks would indicate that's what Magic's camp is looking for.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
how come those same game breakers didn't end it in game 6 and were run over in game 7 ... but you think if they got an extra shift or 2 in the 3rd, the leafs would have won ... Marleau and brown played their regular shifts an did ok
Exactly where was Marner?

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Marners with no contract this year will get us through our cap crunch year.

Nylander signing a last minute deal lowered his remaining years cap hit as much as it possibly could.

Just saying.
It actually didn't lower his remaining years cap hit in the slightest. That was a misunderstood internet rumour.

Nylander actually recieved 42 million in real dollars. Divided by 6 seasons it's 6.96 aav.

No remaining year cap hit reduction.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
It actually didn't lower his remaining years cap hit in the slightest. That was a misunderstood internet rumour.

Nylander actually recieved 42 million in real dollars. Divided by 6 seasons it's 6.96 aav.

No remaining year cap hit reduction.
Getting it under 7 for these years is the point.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Part of growing as a professional is recognizing failure, and improving on it.

All part of having a junior GM.

He won't be a junior forever.

It is good to see Dubas make those comments. He is owning up to his actions and decisions. That is a good start, and a mature way of taking his growth.

In the meantime he's screwing with what should have been a dynasty.

A1LeafNation

Oct 17, 2010
What does waiting it out have to do with it? Leafs could have paid him 42 million over 6 seasons on July 1st. Would amount to the precise same cap hit years 2-6.
Hey you are right. Had to look that up.

Thought the talking heads said it was suppose to be reduced.

Just another reason not to listen to them anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad