Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Good. Put the fear there that if he wants to sign an offer sheet, he better be prepared to leave Toronto and all those endorsements he’s been doing behind

Jesus, that's pretty aggressive
The old fast ball up and in

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Nylander's 1st year in the NHL was better than anything Pastrnak had on his ELC as well, that was a PPG performance where he was just unlucky. I think Nylander's $500k too much, but the center part is a big x factor

I heard the same on Matthews and I think he was within his rights to use McDavid as a starting point for negotiations, that makes more sense than Marner using Matthews to me.

cumulative earnings are hugely impacted by which year the player started in, especially with the league doing well. I don't think that Matthews is nearly as good as Crosby, Lemieux, etc but he'll outearn them over the course of the 8 years by a huge margin. The same comparisons will be made with the next guy of the Matthews/Eichel tier where he'll make them look like good deals. McDavid started a year before Matthews, so if the league is averaging a 4-5% cap inflation, discount those cumulative earnings by that factor. Matthews probably still ends up earning closer to McDavid than he deserves, but it would be misleading to think that Matthews just out-earned McDavid

apologies if you meant that he'll make McDavid money factoring in when he goes back to the well, that wasn't addressed in the post I quoted

This is just wrong.
Pasta had a 34G 36A = 70PTS season in 75GP.

His old man in the media was baaaad
His agent the day after Matthews contract was signed was baaaad

Do those look like good ideas to you? How's that helping public perception of Marner?

I could see using the threat of an offersheet as a negotiating tool as a strategy one might use, I also seriously doubt Dreger jumped to Marner visiting other teams all on his own either even though I dislike him
I could also see why you would say we won't solicit offers but will pick up the phone as a negotiating ploy as well

I've given up trying to work out there strategy

His Dad wasn't that bad too me. Stupid for doing the interview, but sounded like 90% of the hockey parents.
I also agree that Mitch should be in the conversation for captain..... Not get it, but at least discussed. That's all he said about that.

His agent was a complete dummy. You could see on Mitch's face how pissed he was when questioned a day or 2 later.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Kiwi

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Good. Put the fear there that if he wants to sign an offer sheet, he better be prepared to leave Toronto and all those endorsements he’s been doing behind

Good. Anything thy becomes 4 1sts let him go. If teams think offering a deal that is the next step down match. It’s really a no lose situation for the leafs

-someone overpays him goodby Mitch
-someone tries to sneak a deal that is 2x1st, 2nd 3rd we match because $10.5ish is not great but doable
- he doesn’t get an offersheet at all and their leverage disappears

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Definitely would have been better to lock up Marner and Matthews last summer. Same for Lou and Nylander. Not sure why they waited
Nylander wouldn't negotiate during the season which was his right. What bugs me is that Dubas said he has already had more meetings with Marner's agent now than Nylander's agent all summer. WTF was he waiting for? He refused to deal seriously with Matthews and Marner until he had Nylander done but squandered a whole summer?...
Dubas' problem was that he was totally clueless that a lot of the Leafs' fortune was good luck. They won the lottery with these guys and his priority should have been to lock in good contracts. It is classical asset-liability matching similar to treasury operations in financial services. You don't wait for the yield curve to turn unfavorable before you lock in.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Glad Dubas threw that one out there. Need to get the message firmly across to Marner. If he wants to gamble with his future then he better be prepared for playing somewhere else.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009

Then he'll have to live on Kraft dinner. Big time threat there.

Meanwhile marner knows if he's not signed the GM will be gone within 12M.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This is just wrong.
Pasta had a 34G 36A = 70PTS season in 75GP.

His Dad wasn't that bad too me. Stupid for doing the interview, but sounded like 90% of the hockey parents.
I also agree that Mitch should be in the conversation for captain..... Not get it, but at least discussed. That's all he said about that.

His agent was a complete dummy. You could see on Mitch's face how pissed he was when questioned a day or 2 later.

I didn't understand the strategy or if there even was one with any of that stuff

Marner’s record speaks for itself, the kids adored by the fan base and he's a marketers dream

Stay out of the media and put a brave face on things even if negotiations are fractious, don't alienate the public and just wait

Public pressure would do the work for you

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Nylander wouldn't negotiate during the season which was his right. What bugs me is that Dubas said he has already had more meetings with Marner's agent now than Nylander's agent all summer. WTF was he waiting for? He refused to deal seriously with Matthews and Marner until he had Nylander done but squandered a whole summer?...
Dubas' problem was that he was totally clueless that a lot of the Leafs' fortune was good luck. They won the lottery with these guys and his priority should have been to lock in good contracts. It is classical asset-liability matching similar to treasury operations in financial services. You don't wait for the yield curve to turn unfavorable before you lock in.
The summer prior isn't in season, thats when a lot of deals are negotiated

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

Dubas did say he dropped the ball with the Nylander negotiations. Does not want to do the same with Marner. I should hope so since he said it was his #1 priority.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Good. Anything thy becomes 4 1sts let him go. If teams think offering a deal that is the next step down match. It’s really a no lose situation for the leafs

-someone overpays him goodby Mitch
-someone tries to sneak a deal that is 2x1st, 2nd 3rd we match because $10.5ish is not great but doable
- he doesn’t get an offersheet at all and their leverage disappears
Yes.

He is flying high with all the power he holds, but needs to realize a lot of that strength goes away if he doesn't get an offer sheet. Plus, even if he does get one, the Leafs may happily take the pics.

You know what they say, Mitch : "Be careful what you wish for, because you might just get it."

He doesn't want to be stuck on some bottom barrel team when the Leafs win their first Cup in 50 years.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

He said nothing.
Of course it's not a conclusion if they would match. It all depends on the $$ and the team........ Kappy, and AJ, well duh... he said nothing with words.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
4 1sts would allow us to trade two for doughty and sign a quality LW as we are stacked on RW.

Plus we would have an extra two picks for cheap ELC players.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I've got Marner's dad opening his yap in public about Marner getting his before Matthews even signed, his agent opening his yap in public about Matthews contract the next ******* day and somebody feeding Dreger information that's extremely pro Marner and it's management's fault they can't shut there mouths?

I'm all for Dubas shutting his mouth as well but you'd have to be really in the tank to say this one's on the Leafs management

Your beyond help, when you fall in love with a player you go all the way
Carry on. Keep your head firmly buried in the sand. Dubas clearly started the nonsense. He needs to keep his yap shut. Was Nylander not feeding the same people when the media correctly knew what he was asking for or did Dubas leak that. Everyone of the media member knew all the details of the negotiations all along regarding Nylander and Mathews. Yet you think that it is Marner opening his mouth when it is clearly been the Leafs attempting to get gullible fans on their side...people like your self and others who clearly identify themselves as sheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad