Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Of course Matthews does...in 5 years when Matthews renews his contract at what? $15 million plus per? What percentage of the cap would that be, while McDavid is still only making $12.5 million against that new cap.

McDavid is advised by Orr who made a really poor deal. Other agents are not as team friendly and don’t mind rocking the boat.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
I think it has more with Social Media. They might post much but they look at them non stop. They are all pretty much me first and want everything they want NOW.
They don’t know how to be patience and think they are smarter and better than everyone around them.
Although I admire their confidence but they really lack the human approach or looking at the bigger picture.
BTW, I am talking about Youth in General instead of Hockey Players.
In Hockey, I just think due to parity, it is a lot easier for younger players to be the main stars on their teams bc that their teams just lack talents due to tanking or just bad draft and development. Look at the playoffs and you will see that teams with older players tend to perform better. I said in the playoffs that despite making playoffs 3 straight years, the Leafs is still a very young and inexperienced teams as 9 of their 12 forwards had 3 yrs or less NHL experiences.

Very accurate post. I can't argue a single point.

Reactions: Gabriel426

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You would think a guy like Sid in his profession would know that the NHL has a hard salary cap. Exactly why the guy is a meathead. I could ask my boss for whatever I want and he would say pound salt or find someone who will pay it.
Lol...Dubas will tread carefully. If he messes this deal up too, his ass will be in a sling. Dubas will not tell Marner anything of the sort.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Careful, you're starting to sound very bitter.

If auston had of signed for reasonable money, I have no doubt marner would've as well. Mitch might yet surprise us and sign a good deal.

Don't care. I had heard a lot of really negative things about the Marners and his agent. Turned out it was all true. I can watch a team and dislike a player on it (that is assuming he is still on it, and the team is still worth watching after they completely gut the team to make room for him. People will be reminiscing about the days the team had players as good as Hyman).

And yes, Matthews signed a bad contract. I have always said so. But that contract didn't involve the shit show that this has been. And, while Matthews' contract is likely never going to be considered a good contract, if Marner gets Matthews money it will be a terrible contract.

Reactions: mulefarm

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
why stay within the sports world? - Jeff Bezos, Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, maybe a Koch brother...

No, no, no.
Those guys nail 80%+
Insiders nail 5%
I would have agreed with you if it hadn't already kicked off

Nobody is blameless in all this but Marner's old man and agent talking to the media wasn't exactly brand affirming and the Dreger stuff really hurt

I'm not saying that was deliberately leaked by the Marner camp but I do doubt Dreger came up with visiting other cities on his own and that really didn't help Marner’s cause

So Marners camp said "Hey Media?, we wont visit other cities because it hurts our PR.... BUTTTTT.... we will take calls!!"
Makes sense.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He is asking for his bag, just like the others

As long as he's reasonable I'm sure he's going to remain a Leaf for a long time

If he's not he does run the risk of finding himself playing somewhere else next season, that's his decision to make

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015
Lol...Dubas will tread carefully. If he messes this deal up too, his ass will be in a sling. Dubas will not tell Marner anything of the sort.

Dubas also doesn’t wanna overpay either. Marner is an RFA. If an offer sheets presents itself and it’s matchble then fine. If it’s not worth matching take the pics. If no offer sheet is presented what is Marners next move? All he can do is sit and hope Dubas caves or he trades him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The problem with Matthews contract is the term and not the cap hit. Quite frankly, would much rather have Marner signs for 9mil for 3yrs than 11mil for 8yrs. Tell Marner that he will be the first one in line to renew his contract which should be the highest on the team if he continues to provide 90plus points.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Pasta should have gotten the premium for goal scoring (or so I'm told) and for actually showing progression. Nylander simply was given more then he deserves.

I'm not sure how much of a fact this is but I remember hearing that auston wanted 13+mil on an 8 year deal so he definitely wanted ~McDavid money.
Nylander's 1st year in the NHL was better than anything Pastrnak had on his ELC as well, that was a PPG performance where he was just unlucky. I think Nylander's $500k too much, but the center part is a big x factor

I heard the same on Matthews and I think he was within his rights to use McDavid as a starting point for negotiations, that makes more sense than Marner using Matthews to me.
I didn't forget anything.

When Auston's contract is up he will sign for 15+ mil. That means he will have made at least 103mil after 8 years while McDavid will have made a clean 100mil.

He is signed for basically McDavid money, which is what I said.
cumulative earnings are hugely impacted by which year the player started in, especially with the league doing well. I don't think that Matthews is nearly as good as Crosby, Lemieux, etc but he'll outearn them over the course of the 8 years by a huge margin. The same comparisons will be made with the next guy of the Matthews/Eichel tier where he'll make them look like good deals. McDavid started a year before Matthews, so if the league is averaging a 4-5% cap inflation, discount those cumulative earnings by that factor. Matthews probably still ends up earning closer to McDavid than he deserves, but it would be misleading to think that Matthews just out-earned McDavid

apologies if you meant that he'll make McDavid money factoring in when he goes back to the well, that wasn't addressed in the post I quoted

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Dubas also doesn’t wanna overpay either. Marner is an RFA. If an offer sheets presents itself and it’s matchble then fine. If it’s not worth matching take the pics. If no offer sheet is presented what is Marners next move? All he can do is sit and hope Dubas caves or he trades him.
I understand the difficulty. The contracts could have been settled post Tavares signing, yet here we still are. That is on Dubas.

Reactions: ToneDog

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I understand the difficulty. The contracts could have been settled post Tavares signing, yet here we still are. That is on Dubas.
Definitely would have been better to lock up Marner and Matthews last summer. Same for Lou and Nylander. Not sure why they waited

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
No, no, no.
Those guys nail 80%+
Insiders nail 5%

So Marners camp said "Hey Media?, we wont visit other cities because it hurts our PR.... BUTTTTT.... we will take calls!!"
Makes sense.

His old man in the media was baaaad
His agent the day after Matthews contract was signed was baaaad

Do those look like good ideas to you? How's that helping public perception of Marner?

I could see using the threat of an offersheet as a negotiating tool as a strategy one might use, I also seriously doubt Dreger jumped to Marner visiting other teams all on his own either even though I dislike him
I could also see why you would say we won't solicit offers but will pick up the phone as a negotiating ploy as well

I've given up trying to work out there strategy

HolyCrap

Oct 2, 2015

True. I know I read somewhere a few wanted to wait. In hindsight it woulda been smart signing Marner early back when he was willing to sign. Mathews signed earlier but it was obv that it woulda been better to sign him ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad