Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
Dubas did say he dropped the ball with the Nylander negotiations. Does not want to do the same with Marner. I should hope so since he said it was his #1 priority.

Part of growing as a professional is recognizing failure, and improving on it.

All part of having a junior GM.

He won't be a junior forever.

It is good to see Dubas make those comments. He is owning up to his actions and decisions. That is a good start, and a mature way of taking his growth.

Reactions: Menzinger

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Marners with no contract this year will get us through our cap crunch year.

Nylander signing a last minute deal lowered his remaining years cap hit as much as it possibly could.

Just saying.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im starting to think theres a better chance Mitch sits the year then signs an offer sheet or gets traded.

I just dont see any other team willing to offer him a deal we wont match.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Nylander's rookie year normalizes to something like 88pts in 82 games on a 10% OIsh%, which would be normal for a top 6 player - Marner has a career 10.5% OIsh%, Matthews a 9.9%, McDavid an 11%, Pasta a 9.8%, etc
Willy's rookie year was 13 pts in 22 games...... but w.e, I'll give you year 2......
Pasta scored 70 PTS as a 20yo, and willy 61.
I have always argued they are comparable, since I believe Willy was held a year back. Pasta looked like the slightly better player, and now, the much better player. That's not a shot against Willy, Pasta is a beast on a steal.

Reactions: kb

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
it's not wise to trade an already star player a few years away from his peak level ... Shanny/Dubas know this
...all depends on the return. Plenty of good young players have been moved for better assets. Just like plenty of teams have made mistakes overpaying RFAs. Wonder what Buffalo would have looked like with 4 firsts instead of Vanek.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Im starting to think theres a better chance Mitch sits the year then signs an offer sheet or gets traded.

I just dont see any other team willing to offer him a deal we wont match.
I see something similar to the Nylander fiasco...

Marner holds out. Team misses him. Team reaches out and we get a deal after losing a third of the season.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Carry on. Keep your head firmly buried in the sand. Dubas clearly started the nonsense. He needs to keep his yap shut. Was Nylander not feeding the same people when the media correctly knew what he was asking for or did Dubas leak that. Everyone of the media member knew all the details of the negotiations all along regarding Nylander and Mathews. Yet you think that it is Marner opening his mouth when it is clearly been the Leafs attempting to get gullible fans on their side...people like your self and others who clearly identify themselves as sheep.

I've said Dubas should shut his face but Marner's team haven't exactly been the picture of discretion in that regard for a full year

We never saw anything even close to this **** show with Matthews or Nylander and Nylander held out for months

There dad's didn't throw grenades into the public arena, or there agents do something as a agregous as Marner's agent, or have somebody like Dreger knowing an awful lot of information about there plans around offersheets

Reactions: kb

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Good. Put the fear there that if he wants to sign an offer sheet, he better be prepared to leave Toronto and all those endorsements he’s been doing behind

Dubas should have said that if he signs an offer sheet indicating that he would prefer to be somewhere else even if the Leafs match it there is a very good chance that he will not finish his contract in a Leafs' uniform.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Willy's rookie year was 13 pts in 22 games...... but w.e, I'll give you year 2......
Pasta scored 70 PTS as a 20yo, and willy 61.
I have always argued they are comparable, since I believe Willy was held a year back. Pasta looked like the slightly better player, and now, the much better player. That's not a shot against Willy, Pasta is a beast on a steal.
his first full season that he met the NHL's criteria for being a rookie is the one I'm referencing, 25 games is the threshold.

the point totals in their best ELC year omits the (massive) filter of luck, which was fine for Pasta and very bad to Nylander. If luck wasn't a thing, a player like McDavid would have a shooting % and OIsh% near 100% because better talent could just will you to success on every attempt.

Anyway, I agree that at this point there's no comparison between the two, but it's the ELC work that was under considerations for their last signings. Pasta is outperforming his contract by a huge margin, but I think Nylander will suprise us in a very good way as well - he has had a very unlucky career so far and is a dominant possession player

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
True. I know I read somewhere a few wanted to wait. In hindsight it woulda been smart signing Marner early back when he was willing to sign. Mathews signed earlier but it was obv that it woulda been better to sign him ASAP.

I don't think marner was ever signing before Mathews.

His team is too full of envy and want payback for the perceived slight.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Well if you knew much about that world, that is just how it works.
These snakes have been around since Mitch was a young kid, and Ferris was involved from a very early age......

Players fire their agents. Just as Michael Nylander. And Ferris being around since Mitch was a kid alone is good enough reason to bring in some new, better influences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad