Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They offered him 11x8. This isn't about the Leafs taking a hard stance. This is about if the organization has any backbone left at all. I suspect the answer to that is no. Remember when people used to laugh about Eichel being the GM of the Sabres?
I agree. 8 x 11 is a FAIR deal and the Leafs need to stand their ground.

Reactions: Devonator

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
I agree. 8 x 11 is a FAIR deal and the Leafs need to stand their ground.
This is what we've come to? 8x11 is a fair deal?

Kucherov signed for 9.5x8. He just scored 128 points, and 100 the year prior. Not 69 points then 94 points. No. 100 points. Then 128 points. He just won the Hart. He won the art ross. He signed for ALL ufa years.

9.5x8

And now I hear that 11x8 is a "fair" deal for a player who just scored 69, then 94 points who is an rfa?

It's too much. It's literally too much for me.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
This is all absurd and pathetic. Our beloved yeomen Maple Leafs have turned into a goldmine for entitled, unproven, underachieving youths to strike it instantly rich.

There is no pride left in some of these players...it's clear that they just want money...when $11 million x 8 years doesn't get it done (that's freakin' $1.5 million more than the Hart, Art Ross and Lindsay award winner Kucherov!), it's time that Marner is done as a Leaf.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

Kucherov signed for 9.5x8. He just scored 128 points, and 100 the year prior. Not 69 points then 94 points. No. 100 points. Then 128 points. He just won the Hart. He won the art ross. He signed for ALL ufa years.

9.5x8

And now I hear that 11x8 is a "fair" deal for a player who just scored 69, then 94 points who is an rfa?

Re : "It's too much. It's literally too much for me."

:laugh:

Fair in comparison to the overpayment made to other Leafs. ;)

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
They can lock-out the players in the midst of the Leafs having one of their most talented teams ever right now, I won't mind.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
When Nylander was holding out

Talking heads and insiders said he wanted 8.5
Or he wasn’t signing.

Marner fans reaction trade his greedy ass out of town

Nylander fans reactions don’t believe the talking heads and insiders they are just giving information based on nothing concrete
Just their opinion

Marner not signed yet

Talking heads and insiders saying he refused 11 million

Nylander fans reaction trade his greedy ass out of town

Marner fans reaction don’t believe the talking heads and insiders
They are giving information based on nothing concrete just their opinion

Both sides getting upset over nothing

What nonsense is this. There is no Nylander vs Marner gang war. Every Nylander fan is a huge Marner fan. You took it upon yourself to only be allowed to like one. Don't project that onto others.

LEAFS fans are shocked Marner would reject 11 mil if true. Nothing fascinating to see there. Pretty obvious reaction.

Reactions: Menzinger

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
If you are Marner, it's hard not to see Matthews, JT's and Nylander's contract and think "I deserve $11M". Don't fault him for that. Fault the Leafs for over paying on everyone else.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Imagine performing 50% better than the guy who got paid $7 million for 6 years and getting told that people think you're only worth a million more than that guy. Now imagine that scenario after that guy goes on to shit the bed in every way imaginable after getting handed that contract. If I were put in that scenario it wouldn't last long, I'd just say two words. Trade me.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

9.5x8

If the Leafs offered Marner for Kucherov, the TBL would laugh their a55 off and hang up the phone.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Don't care. I had heard a lot of really negative things about the Marners and his agent. Turned out it was all true. I can watch a team and dislike a player on it (that is assuming he is still on it, and the team is still worth watching after they completely gut the team to make room for him. People will be reminiscing about the days the team had players as good as Hyman).

And yes, Matthews signed a bad contract. I have always said so. But that contract didn't involve the **** show that this has been. And, while Matthews' contract is likely never going to be considered a good contract, if Marner gets Matthews money it will be a terrible contract.

I basically agree, just I'd wait until he actually does sign for something outrageous before I start going off on him.

That's how I treated the nylander and Matthews situation.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Once you know who these players really are you can't unknow it. How do you watch the game and believe these players are really putting it all on the line to win when none of them would even give a slight discount to ice a better team? To keep the team together? If you ask a player what they would give up to win the Cup they would say a lot. But when contract negotiation time comes around they show that they won't give up anything to increase their chances of winning the Cup and will do everything in their power to increase their salary reducing their chances of winning. I went from an NHL fanatic to someone who completely stopped watching the NHL for around a decade. Knew nothing about what was going on. Cup winners? No idea. I was doing other things with my time. Was far more productive. Should probably return to that.
Well said...I am coincidentally of the same mindset,as I too stopped dedicating what i thought was too much time to a diversion that was less and less to my liking. then the kids came along...one son said 'hey,you should check out these new Leaf kids'..and I got sucked right back in to the 'Leaf Vortex' ....But now ,after seeing some things that I don't like and are unlikely to change any time soon (not gonna mention them here)...I will be looking upon the team from afar come the fall.
'

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Once you know who these players really are you can't unknow it. How do you watch the game and believe these players are really putting it all on the line to win when none of them would even give a slight discount to ice a better team? To keep the team together? If you ask a player what they would give up to win the Cup they would say a lot. But when contract negotiation time comes around they show that they won't give up anything to increase their chances of winning the Cup and will do everything in their power to increase their salary reducing their chances of winning. I went from an NHL fanatic to someone who completely stopped watching the NHL for around a decade. Knew nothing about what was going on. Cup winners? No idea. I was doing other things with my time. Was far more productive. Should probably return to that.

I'm not at quite the place you are in because I absolutely love watching hockey. Any hockey. However, I have viewed players this way for years except for a very select few. They want the money first and foremost, especially early on. Later in their careers they seem more likely to take less to win because the reality of never winning sets in. However, I will almost always side with owners/orgs. in situations like this or most any other. I realize they are all out for the money, but most organizations true goal is to win above all else, that's not the main true goal of most players.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I basically agree, just I'd wait until he actually does sign for something outrageous before I start going off on him.

That's how I treated the nylander and Matthews situation.

They turned down $11 million x 8 years...that's like literally pushing for about $14 million x 8 years if they are talking about Matthews money...that's totally outrageous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad