Salary Cap: Mitch Marner Contract Discussion Part VI | Marner Reportedly Turns Down 8 Year Term

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
A million things can happen between now and free agency - an injury, a decrease in production, a drop in the salary cap, etc. I'd sleep better at night with an 8 year deal.

A bird in hand, Mitch, a bird in hand.
Good advice...but the birdies whispering in his ear are parasites and the more he gets,the more they get. They aren't the ones risking anything at all! Greed can bite ya on the arse!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Suppose you were working for a wealthy company and you see management pay an employee with the initials A.M., who takes a TON of sick days every year, and who you out performed the last 2 years, $116,000.

Then suppose you see that same company pay a useless employee (with the initials W.N.) $66,000.

The company then comes to you and says, "We'd like to pay you the same as A.M., since you produce the same and you never take a sick day, but we don't have the money in the budget. We hope you understand."

Would you understand or would you say "Screw you! I want the same as A.M. and way more than W.N.!!!" Most people would choose the latter. I know I would.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Suppose you were working for a wealthy company and you see management pay an employee with the initials A.M., who takes a TON of sick days every year, and who you out performed the last 2 years, $116,000.

Then suppose you see that same company pay a useless employee (with the initials W.N.) $66,000.

The company then comes to you and says, "We'd like to pay you the same as A.M., since you produce the same, but we don't have the money in the budget. We hope you understand."

Would you understand or would you say "Screw you! I want the same as A.M. and way more than W.N.!!!" Most people would choose the latter. I know I would.
They aren't forcing Marner because theyve run out of space, he's asking for historical numbers for his position.

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
I agree. 8 x 11 is a FAIR deal and the Leafs need to stand their ground.
Well,it is still too much,in my opinion. Which is based on my amatuer collection of metrics...seems the Leafs are being forced into offering just over the 4 firsts offer sheet line. I absolutely love watching that kid play for the blue and white...but if his salary affects the chances of icing a competitive /successful team,then I'm taking the picks or trade equivalent. Not losing any sleep either!

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They aren't forcing Marner because theyve run out of space, he's asking for historical numbers for his position.
You lost me.

Either way, we would ALL push for the same money as the highest paid guy. We can't fault Marner for doing the same.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008

The company then comes to you and says, "We'd like to pay you the same as A.M., since you produce the same and you never take a sick day, but we don't have the money in the budget. We hope you understand."

This is so flawed...so if Marner gets injured next season after signing a big deal, then he's not worth his contract anymore?

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
It's going to be funny seeing Tavares play with Hyman and Moore as his wingers next year. I wonder if they featured in the promo video :laugh:

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018

Not an accurate comparison,but I see your point to be sure. If Mitch doesn't see the value in having AM on the team,or if he truly believes he is the better/more valuable player,then there is even more reason to hope he signs an offer sheet. The prospect of the Leafs having 2 firsts every year is tantalizing.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It's going to be funny seeing Tavares play with Hyman and Moore as his wingers next year. I wonder if they featured in the promo video :laugh:

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Johnsson
Moore-Kadri-Nylander

Top-9 lines for season opener.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
What nonsense is this. There is no Nylander vs Marner gang war. Every Nylander fan is a huge Marner fan. You took it upon yourself to only be allowed to like one. Don't project that onto others.

LEAFS fans are shocked Marner would reject 11 mil if true. Nothing fascinating to see there. Pretty obvious reaction.

Yeah...this is pretty much bs. All of it.
When a pundit states something that he thinks and a bunch of Willy fans grab it as fact to slam Marner for his greed...that is not an indication of love.

The torqueing of the rumors is insane. Even the so called leaks are blamed on Marner's camp even though Dubas opened his mouth yet again recently to opine on the possibility of not matching offersheets. So much for keeping negotiations private.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Not an accurate comparison,but I see your point to be sure. If Mitch doesn't see the value in having AM on the team,or if he truly believes he is the better/more valuable player,then there is even more reason to hope he signs an offer sheet. The prospect of the Leafs having 2 firsts every year is tantalizing.
It's hard to be completely accurate with any scenario but, hopefully, it helps people see Marner's perspective.

Again, if it was me, I would happily take "a bird in hand" and sleep well knowing I will be making $11M for the next 8 years.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

A wealthy company working under a salary cap with a strict upper limit.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
It's hard to be completely accurate with any scenario but, hopefully, it helps people see Marner's perspective.

Again, if it was me, I would happily take the bird in hand and sleep well knowing I will be making $11M for the next 8 years.
I think everyone understands Mitch see himself as more or equally valuable to AM. Trouble is he seems to be in the vast minority, which is why people are crapping on him for his demands

Caesium

Apr 13, 2006
Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Johnsson
Moore-Kadri-Nylander

Top-9 lines for season opener.

Bobby Mac says Kapanen is being traded for a D.

Johnsson - Matthews - Nylander
Hyman - Tavares - Moore
Marleau - Kadri - Korshkov

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
This is the way I see it as well,if the hearsay is accurate! The team didn't/hasn/t won squat ...and now these high salaries could be the reason the team gets worse,with a lousy supporting cast.. How can the kids not see this?

Divine

Dec 18, 2010

What if the only reason you're out performing the A.M employee is because he takes sick days?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Well said...I am coincidentally of the same mindset,as I too stopped dedicating what i thought was too much time to a diversion that was less and less to my liking. then the kids came along...one son said 'hey,you should check out these new Leaf kids'..and I got sucked right back in to the 'Leaf Vortex' ....But now ,after seeing some things that I don't like and are unlikely to change any time soon (not gonna mention them here)...I will be looking upon the team from afar come the fall.
'

Yeah I could definitely see that happening. After all it was the new Leaf kids who got me to start watching the Leafs (Buffalo was my team) a couple weeks into the rookie seasons of the big three. For me it was actually just a salesperson showing up at my door and offering an extremely great tv package at a time when a lot of free time in the evenings had appeared in my life. I hadn't had TV in a decade (and I had to buy a new one because my old dusty one was one of those 50 pounders). A couple days later I was looking for something to watch, stumbled across a hockey game and started watching. My wife was surprised - I had been with her a decade and she had just assumed that I was not a hockey fan, and I assumed that she was not a hockey fan - because neither one of us had ever mentioned the game. So we started watching games, and then we also started going to a lot of games (predominantly AHL), but she being smarter than I am started to sour on watching hockey early this season.

Reactions: Optomist

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
I don't understand your reasoning. Future injuries could happen to everyone, not just Marner.

You implied AM isn't worth his contract because he takes "sick days"...so that means if Marner gets injured in the future, he isn't worth his contract either.

I keep hearing Marner led the Leafs in team scoring the last two years, yada, yada...do people ignore the fact that 2 years ago Matthews had only 6 fewer points in 20 fewer games, that he played 62 games and still scored 34 goals? While Marner played 82 games and only scored 22 goals?

Matthews is the better player...he was carrying Kapanen, Johnsson and Marleau on his line this past season...he didn't have a franchise centre to play with and still scored 37 goals while missing 14 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad