Miscellaneous NHL Discussion XCII: A buyer's or seller's market?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The trade deadline will be...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I wonder if the player Marek mentioned who fell off the skateboard while drunk in whiten and hurt his back was Vinny L.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY

If you average point totals, it takes great players to score 140pts in 2 seasons.
It takes good players to score 140pts in 3 seasons
It takes regular players to score 140pts 4 seasons
It takes replacement level players to score 140 pts 5 seasons
Bottom nhl players may take their whole careers or never even make it to 140 pts in the nhl
McDavid is on another level, and the season isn't over. But yea John Tortorella would rather have grinders. Cause scoring doesn't win you cups

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
If you average point totals, it takes great players to score 140pts in 2 seasons.
Bottom nhl players may take their whole careers or never even make it to 140 pts in the nhl
McDavid is on another level, and the season isn't over. But yea John Tortorella would rather have grinders. Cause scoring doesn't win you cups
I was thinking about this a day or two ago. Sebastian Aho (the good one) has 143 points over the last two seasons. McDavid has that many this year alone. The man is a human cheat code, and we're so privileged to be able to watch him.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018

Unclaimed waiver. Cap dump for an AHLer + 7th rounder. Definitely no value to be had there. I’ll take a UFA Brendan Lemieux, thank you.

The NHL right now is so ripe for the picking. Most of these guys have no clue. A lot of us say things like "this isn't Chel" when we see a wild trade proposal, but winning in the margins/identifying albatross UFAs and not getting baited is just as simple as it is in the videogames. We're reminded of this almost every year at least a few times. It's crazy how just being competent puts you head and shoulders above most roster builders

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Absolutely tragic he's doing all this on middle of the pack playoffs bound team.

The inability to build around McDavid and Draisaitl in Edmonton is almost depressing

I’m all for high end talent as that has become the latest catch phrase. But it is absolutely an embarrassment that a team will 3 100+ point players in this day and age and be just “fighting” for a playoff spot.

Shows that even high end talent isn’t enough.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I was thinking about this a day or two ago. Sebastian Aho (the good one) has 143 points over the last two seasons. McDavid has that many this year alone. The man is a human cheat code, and we're so privileged to be able to watch him.
A shame that I'm at such a low interest point with hockey because of how lobg I know it will be before the Flyers are relevant that I haven't even watched him much.

Hard to care about the cool stuff going on in the league, or keep tabs on things when McDavid will be in his mid 30s before the Flyers might be a contender.

Lara Emily

Jul 5, 2013
I’m all for high end talent as that has become the latest catch phrase. But it is absolutely an embarrassment that a team will 3 100+ point players in this day and age and be just “fighting” for a playoff spot.

Shows that even high end talent isn’t enough.
3 players with 100 points
Same 3 all have 60+ assists

And they're third in the Pacific?! And were a wild card for a good part of the season too

It's depressing for the those players

Last edited:
Reactions: Rebels57

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
Absolutely tragic he's doing all this on middle of the pack playoffs bound team.

The inability to build around McDavid and Draisaitl in Edmonton is almost depressing
The black hole for them is a goalie. I wonder where they could find a borderline elite goalie that fits their timeline of winning now and later. Hmmmm

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
McKinnon has a Cup, Point has 2 Cups, ROR has a Cup, Kopitar has 2 Cups, Toews has 3 Cups.
McDavid, zero Cups.

Maybe Torts has a point?
Maybe scoring is necessary, but not sufficient?
Maybe elite players aren't enough?
Maybe TEAMS win championships, not players?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad