Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: "The March is On" edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
To a man the rosters are stronger these days too. The salary cap creates more balance. The gaps between the between the top, middle, & bottom of the league aren’t as big as they used to post salary cap. Where some small market teams were more so glorified farm teams for the big market teams in the pre-salary cap era.

Additionally, systems have tuned up defense a ton. Whereas a lot of defense in the 80s required skaters to individually read the play and make decisions and even try to win one on one matchups, today a lot of that process is "automated," in a sense, and works harder to isolate puck carriers and let defenders outnumber them.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
For example, watching old games from the 80s, it was not unusual to see the puck down in the left corner. The opposing left wing would often stay in the vicinity of the offensive RD in a man system; that's his man damnit, and he's staying with him. Whereas today you usually see that dman abandoned so the winger can be in the slot while more defenders go in the corner to try and overmatch the offense.

This of course varied from team to team/coach to coach, and even from line to line; players who grew up without systems may be told to" just uh do what you know and try to keep up ok?" Which meant basic man coverage. It was part of a transition to what we'd consider the modern era so consistency wasn't there like it is now.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Just in case it hasn't been seen before, everyone should have this pic available.

nflpests_marchand.jpg

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
What isn't being mentioned here is the blatant stickwork through the 80s. Not only could you get your stick right into an opponent's midsection, you could waterski for a few seconds. The holding and interference was just part of "good defense." That is one thing that drives me nuts watching old games.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA

I turned it own just as the Blues went up 2-0 in the first and heard his name. So I watched the game. His first start of the season and after being rusty in the 1st, he played a great game, turning out the next 38 shots on in the 3-2 Win, and got an assist on the Ducks GWG in OT. I always liked him, hopefully he'll continue to do well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad