Miscellaneous NHL Discussion: "The March is On" edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Drai/McD are inherently more likeable than Malkin/Crosby and also more fun than OV/Backstrom
OV's cup winning bender would like to have a word with you.

20aeac99-d0d3-4d14-a484-27e4df503722-large16x9_OviMontage.jpg

McDavid would celebrate his cup win with a small vanilla soft serve.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
What a sequence.

Zibanejad shovels one in front of the net from the corner off of Oshie's face onto the goal line of an open next where Orlov cleared it off at the last possible second for it to not be a goal.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nope. There are other players that would have better or similar numbers if they played in this watered down, light weight game of today’s hockey.

Or OV would have just destroyed the less refined goaltending that those guys faced in a way that those guys didn't.

I'm not sure peak OV is better than peak Gretzky or peak Hull, or a select few other players, but the sheer length of time that he had been the league's dominant goalscorer is unparalleled. Nobody has been the best for so damned long, with no end in sight because the guy keeps adding to his game to stay competitive. For peak, I don't know that he's the best. For overall career, I'd give it to him already.

I remember many years ago when his speed diminished and analysts insisted it was the end of his goalscoring reign. Nah, dude just casually learned new ways to score.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
People are aware less goals get scored in today’s watered down game, right?

We even got to see the impact in real time on long term players like Selanne.

I presume he is attributing the dip in scoring to players these days somehow being manifestly inferior, instead of attributing it to steady improvements in hockey systems and goaltending.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Better equipment and better technique have done much to level the playing field among goalies; compare stats from 30 years ago to stats now and the gap between top goalies and bottom goalies is way smaller.

Unless you are Hart and Elliott putting up numbers that would have been bad even in the 80s, those two are so bad they're outliers this year.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Carter Hart would be considered a big goalie like 15 years ago as to now he’s more so average size.

That’s another thing that has helped improved goaltending across the board too. Larger goalies without sacrificing the athleticism/movement.

The technique for me has made goaltending & the game less fun though. Give me guys like the old days who were just told to stop the puck however you can. If you got to flop around so be it.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Ovechkin also has some advantages that guys in Gretzky’s time didn’t have like better training and diet. As well as better skates and sticks and no two line pass rule

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Carter Hart would be considered a big goalie like 15 years ago as to now he’s more so average size.

That’s another thing that has helped improved goaltending across the board too. Larger goalies without sacrificing the athleticism/movement.

The technique for me has made goaltending & the game less fun though. Give me guys like the old days who were just told to stop the puck however you can. If you got to flop around so be it.

Butterfly's weakness is shots up high. If goalies are huge manmonsters then those holes shrink.

Prior to butterfly, large size in a goalie was considered detrimental as being too tall could slash the angles the goalie could see the puck. Darren Pang could put in a good season in the 80s, but if he played today nobody would ever let him touch the position.

Reactions: LegionOfDoom91

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
To clarify, it was thought that goalies being tall made their lives harder in terms of tracking the puck back in the day; I don't know if that's necessarily true.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
We even got to see the impact in real time on long term players like Selanne.

I presume he is attributing the dip in scoring to players these days somehow being manifestly inferior, instead of attributing it to steady improvements in hockey systems and goaltending.

To a man the rosters are stronger these days too. The salary cap creates more balance. The gaps between the between the top, middle, & bottom of the league aren’t as big as they used to post salary cap. Where some small market teams were more so glorified farm teams for the big market teams in the pre-salary cap era.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad