Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVII: What An Ugly Number

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
How many lineups by posters had him as the 2nd line centers over the last few years?

I haven't written him off though I have zero expectations at this point.
Tons of people on this board complained about the Hayes signing because it would "block" Frost.

They had him penciled in as 2C as early as 19/20.

Now they're trying to act like he was never expected to be more than a normal 27th overall pick, and that my desire for 40 points out of him in his 23-year-old season is an outlandish expectation.

When he was getting tons of fan hype in his last two years of junior -- and I was one of many who was excited about him then -- people would have laughed at the notion of 40 points being too high of an expectation for him at age 23.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
The logo is so great that it’s actually the first hat I ever bought of a non-Philly sports team.

This one below, which is apparently a special collab you can only buy from some Swedish website.
196002216997_1.jpg

I always knew you were a straight rim kind of bastard.

Kelmitchell2

Aug 30, 2020
They weren't getting a much better deal from Colorado, who had taken Newhook and Byram off the table.
So we're talking a 2023 1st that's likely in the late 20s and Barron? Instead of a 2024 1st that might be much higher and Tippett.
They should and could have gotten denisenko

Tons of people on this board complained about the Hayes signing because it would "block" Frost.

They had him penciled in as 2C as early as 19/20.

Now they're trying to act like he was never expected to be more than a normal 27th overall pick, and that my desire for 40 points out of him in his 23-year-old season is an outlandish expectation.

When he was getting tons of fan hype in his last two years of junior -- and I was one of many who was excited about him then -- people would have laughed at the notion of 40 points being too high of an expectation for him at age 23.
I bitched about the signing because signing a guy who's more of a 3c 7.1m over 7 years is beyond stupid

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Ah, so he didn't want to expand the list of available teams, maximize his options, and maximize value. Yes. I know. That's what I've been saying. I'm aware. Glad we agree on what happened. You're the only one spinning here, what with your attempts to pretend that Fletcher rejecting an offer to get substantially more value isn't wholly his fault.

Truly, what a burden Giroux laid on him by giving him the option to have a still-excellent Giroux in addition to whoever he was traded for. How inconsiderate.

The parameters of prior trades are how we can tell the Giroux trade was such an L for Fletcher
Yes 100% spinning on my part. How does one spin a fact? That fact being Giroux only wanted to be traded to 1 team when all was said and done. Mind boggling you wont accept this fact.

It was time to move on from Clode. He was well past his expiration date being on this team. The fact he wanted to come back is plenty reason enough to move on from him.

What offer did Fletcher reject?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yes 100% spinning on my part. How does one spin a fact? That fact being Giroux only wanted to be traded to 1 team when all was said and done. Mind boggling you wont accept this fact.

It was time to move on from Clode. He was well past his expiration date being on this team. The fact he wanted to come back is plenty reason enough to move on from him.

What offer did Fletcher reject?

You're still refusing to accept the reality that Giroux offered to expand his list of teams and Fletcher refused.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
You're still refusing to accept the reality that Giroux offered to expand his list of teams and Fletcher refused.
With conditions attached to it. Conditions that you do not have any idea what they were. Keep reaching, spinning or whatever. The GM was smart to refuse.

Simple fact is the GM had 1 team to make a deal with. That is the reality. Everything else is white noise.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
They should and could have gotten denisenko

I bitched about the signing because signing a guy who's more of a 3c 7.1m over 7 years is beyond stupid
The mandate was win now, & they don’t have their best season & first playoff round win in 8 years if they don’t sign Hayes in 19/20.

Unfortunately he’s been hurt most of & had multiple surgeries over the last two seasons.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
With conditions attached to it. Conditions that you do not have any idea what they were. Keep reaching, spinning or whatever. The GM was smart to refuse.

Simple fact is the GM had 1 team to make a deal with. That is the reality. Everything else is white noise.

The condition was that he be re-signed. He presented Fletcher an opportunity to deal him and keep him, to make the team better. Fletcher refused to do that.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
The thing I keep coming back to is, how did the entire league know that Giroux wouldn't accept a trade anywhere else? There's been no report that Giroux's camp was allowed to talk to other teams, so that leaves only one legal route - Fletcher.

Even if only one team can be the winner, why tell them and take away the ability to leverage other teams into getting you more? Even if Colorado offers a better package, you stand up in your PC and say this was the package you preferred, and that dovetailed with Giroux's preference to be in Florida, so you were happy to trade him to a place he wanted to be. There may be some hurt feelings, but maybe other teams will stop treating you like a goddamn doormat all the time.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
We don’t know the Ins and outs of this trade. Did G really want to come back here? Was Fletcher willing to give him a three year/ seven million per contract? Loads of other questions as well. Suffice it to say that I doubt that Fletcher and Giroux are exchanging holiday cards in December.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
The condition was that he be re-signed. He presented Fletcher an opportunity to deal him and keep him, to make the team better. Fletcher refused to do that.
The reports I remember were that he just consider bringing Giroux back. Not even that he make a promise to re-sign him, just to circle back and see if they could make it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad