Miscellaneous NHL Discussion LXXXVI: 86 Proof

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
It is nice when you invest so much into doubling down on a poor asset + fetch a short term D fix that you inevitably...

1) not only outmaneuver yourself away from top end free agent who wanted to come over on a discount,
2) but also outmaneuver yourself from the possibility to exploit bad cap situation of the team that got that FA from the first point. Instead, you stay with those 2 D, haha

Probably Hextall though

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It’s just baffling that’s the most competitive offer for Bjorkstrand. Other teams can fit this player.

I don’t understand this league. Bjorkstrand and Buchnevich go for a couple of day 2 picks. And the Flyers wet themselves to trade that package for the Justin Brauns. Being a smart patient team is like shooting fish in a barrel.

When you look at the guys that get dumped to make room, it's usually a Wing. That can't be a coincidence, can it?

I really thought another team was going to try to do what Vegas did in regard to positional hierarchy during their runs, mostly because it worked. Shows what I know. Does it happen if they beat the Caps?

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
This is what a 1 million a year cap increase creates. Going to be a few years yet before salaries get aligned back to the reality of the cap

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
"Would you like an NTC? You would. Yes. Yes you would. Here take it. Yes."

Deslauires’ Agent: How about four years & a NTC? (with doubt in his voice/eyes)

Fletcher:
CooperativeEnchantedHog-size_restricted.gif

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Chuck is in a position of weakness in any trade he wants to make because everyone knows he is a sucker and a terrible negotiator
Time to push him to a higher position in the franchise with less power. Let Briere take over as GM in charge of player movement. It couldn't be worse. As long as Fletcher is involved with player movement, the club is screwed. Other organizations just assume that they can take advantage of him and they do.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Definitely seems like there weren’t many teams in on this. Don’t see why teams with cap space wouldn’t make a better offer…including the devils. They wanted gaudreau, are in on tkachuk, and could’ve gotten a 30 goal scorer for crazy cheap w/o giving up a 1st, holtz, bratt which they might have to trade for tkachuk. Mind boggling

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Definitely seems like there weren’t many teams in on this. Don’t see why teams with cap space wouldn’t make a better offer…including the devils. They wanted gaudreau, are in on tkachuk, and could’ve gotten a 30 goal scorer for crazy cheap w/o giving up a 1st, holtz, bratt which they might have to trade for tkachuk. Mind boggling
Fletcher is not an outlier, go look at the contracts given out in free agency.
Go look at Zito giving up his 2023 and 2024 1st rd picks to lose in the 2nd rd and is now in cap hell in 2022-23.
Go look at these trades that have been made in recent days.

I mean why the f--- would you sign Laine to $8.7M and give away Bjorkstrand? Because you traded Dubois for Laine in the first place.

But we see the same stupidity in all sports, the Browns traded a king's ransom for Watson.

Part of it is the "win now" pressure, part of it is for some GMs if you're not making a splash, you're not doing your job.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

It’s interesting seeing the different contract paths guys from that 2015/2016 draft took. McDavid & Eichel signed big long term deals after their ELC. Guys like Matthews, DeBrincat, PLD, etc. played the long game getting to UFA as soon as they could even if they left some money on the table from passing up longer term/money deals.

Matthews is obviously a big winner. His current contract is $58M. His next contract is probably gonna double that. On an 8 year deal for $15M a year that’s $120M. The cap is rumored to be taking a big jump that summer with the current ESPN/TNT tv deals paying out.

Reactions: Chinatown88

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Gaudreau probably plays with Laine, but I actually thought Bjorkstrand would have been a perfect partner for Gaudreau.

Bjorkstrand gets himself into the best shooting positions but has never had a reliable passer to elevate him. Not sure he gets that in Seattle, either, but Jarmo done f***ed up here.

**I didn't catch much of Columbus last year, so I have no idea if Jake played much with Bjorkstrand. He'd have been the only good passer up front that Bjorkstrand ever played with.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It’s just baffling that’s the most competitive offer for Bjorkstrand. Other teams can fit this player.

I don’t understand this league. Bjorkstrand and Buchnevich go for a couple of day 2 picks. And the Flyers wet themselves to trade that package for the Justin Brauns. Being a smart patient team is like shooting fish in a barrel.
Tbf the Sharks weren't up against the cap and desperate to shed salar...oh wait nvm!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Time to push him to a higher position in the franchise with less power. Let Briere take over as GM in charge of player movement. It couldn't be worse. As long as Fletcher is involved with player movement, the club is screwed. Other organizations just assume that they can take advantage of him and they do.

Lol there is no higher position shy of giving him Scott's job

Reactions: Amorgus

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Just President of Hockey operations with no input on personnel matters.

I oppose that. The unbridled laziness he's displayed means he should never be in a position like that. Hiring GMs/AGMs is too important to leave to someone like him. Otherwise we'd just end up with GM Lappy. Or Flahr.

This guy rose above his level of competence when he was hired by Clarke in Florida. The first step to changing this team is not collecting failures up top.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
"Our GM isn't abnormal, he does stupid things just like all these other franchises that aren't winning anything!"

Starat327, not going to @ you.
"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss."

Firing Fletcher won't fix things, as long as the same people are in charge, they'll hire someone with the same mandate. Problem is the new GM may decide that winning now requires trading 3 or 4 year worth of 1st rd picks or some young players for "name" veterans.

Things could be worse, not just screwing the team today but for the forseeable future.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I really think it would be easy to a NHL GM. I can’t imagine making that much work such little ability. Just don’t trade any draft picks or do anything but draft, you’ll have a good deal potentially. Like don’t do anything.

Kind of nice to see the wind taken out of the Jackets fans sail just a bit after this one.

Haha that’s a little cruel.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Bjorkstrand has 4 years of control too. Not even a 2nd rounder.

You’ll make a killing as long as you have cap space. It’s just a shame Fletcher spends his like a kid in a candy store. And he only buys circus peanuts. The opportunity cost to his moves just kills me.

But one could argue this is actually Holmgren’s fault for blowing up his board to take Goulbourne over Bjorkstrand. It’s not Fletcher’s fault he was put in this position.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Bjorkstrand has 4 years of control too. Not even a 2nd rounder.

You’ll make a killing as long as you have cap space. It’s just a shame Fletcher spends his like a kid in a candy store. And he only buys circus peanuts. The opportunity cost to his moves just kills me.

But one could argue this is actually Holmgren’s fault for blowing up his board to take Goulbourne over Bjorkstrand. It’s not Fletcher’s fault he was put in this position.

Fletcher & Flahr just selected another goon in Kurtis Gabriel in the third round over Bjorkstrand that year. :laugh:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Fletcher & Flahr just selected another goon in Kurtis Gabriel in the third round over Bjorkstrand that year. :laugh:

28 points in 67 games as a double re-entry for a 6’6 turd. That’s as old school “fit” pick as it gets. And people want to delude themselves Fletcher and Flahr aren’t basic bitches with the draft, prioritizing fit and size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad